General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

Funny story, feel free to laugh!

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2007, 12:54 PM
Back Marker

xecutech is on a distinguished road
Funny story, feel free to laugh!

As some of you know, I bought my bike yesterday and rode it for the first time today. When I was leaving my office, went to start the bike and it wouldn't turn over. I almost really cried!
Wen and called a friend who knows alot about bikes and we went through some scenarios of what it could be and nothing. Then he said "I would ask if you checked the kill switch, but you should have checked that already."

Well, I didn't and that's what it was! I feel like a total idiot! Then I went riding and feel alot better now!
Old 03-31-2007, 01:18 PM
Back Marker

Nanotech is on a distinguished road
Been there. So easy to bump it.
Old 03-31-2007, 01:21 PM
SuperBike

drew_c14 is on a distinguished road
I did the exact same thing the 2nd or 3rd day I had my hawk. I was so mad at a brand new bike for not starting I almost killed the battery before checking the switch. I felt like a complete tool. Glad to know I'm not the only one.
Old 03-31-2007, 01:48 PM
SuperSport

swordfish is an unknown quantity at this point
The day I bought mine I took it for a test ride and when I got back, I turned it off with the kill switch. When I went to start it again, it would turn over but wouldn't fire. after a few tries, the owner told me to check the kill switch which I sheepishly realized was still switched to off. I switch it over, hit the button and let out the biggest backfire. it was pretty embarassing. but I was laughin. then I bought it
Old 03-31-2007, 02:37 PM
MotoGP

nuhawk is on a distinguished road
+1
Old 03-31-2007, 04:15 PM
SuperSport
SuperSport

gboezio is on a distinguished road
Lol, well it can't happens to me because I kill my engine with the kill switch, so I'm used to turn it on every time I start the bike. I had my share of stupidity tough, I spent 30 mins to try to get my key in the barrel with many people trying to help me until I realized that I pulled my girlfriend's car key
Old 03-31-2007, 04:35 PM
SuperSport

SlowHAWK is an unknown quantity at this point
Did the exact same thing when I rode the bike home right after the purchase.... Couldn't figure why it turned over but wouldnt start... I gased it a few times before I realized the kill was on... then once I fliped the switch and fired it, it let out the loudest backfire.... felt like a real tool in front of the family who as there checking it out.

J.
Old 03-31-2007, 05:15 PM
Back Marker

Otto Man is on a distinguished road
I did it once too, but only because I let a friend ride it who turned it off with the kill switch. I have always, always used the key to turn it off. Why you would use the killswitch instead of the key, barring an accident or the like, is beyond me.
Old 03-31-2007, 05:32 PM
Administrator
World Champion

Hawkrider will become famous soon enoughHawkrider will become famous soon enough
Because it's what the MSF teaches and if you're not used to doing it then in an emergency it won't be second nature.

That said, I've still yet to think of an emergency that would require it while riding. Maybe stuck open throttle? Yeah, I guess that'd be the one.
Old 03-31-2007, 07:04 PM
MotoGP

nuhawk is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Hawkrider
Because it's what the MSF teaches and if you're not used to doing it then in an emergency it won't be second nature.

That said, I've still yet to think of an emergency that would require it while riding. Maybe stuck open throttle? Yeah, I guess that'd be the one.
In Austin traffic you'd never get the chance to go for it - you'd be better off pulling the clutch and hash the engine! Your right hand would be more than busy pulling the brakes.
Old 03-31-2007, 09:16 PM
Back Marker

xecutech is on a distinguished road
Well, I am glad to hear I am not alone.

When I took my vtx to bikeweek for the first time, one of my biker friends smacked my handlebar when he past me and my bike died. I rolled almost to a stop before I realized he hit my kill switch.

It's some joke they lways play on the new guy in the group.
Old 03-31-2007, 09:20 PM
SuperSport
SuperSport

gboezio is on a distinguished road
Well then it really depends of your habits, I use to kill my engine 4 houses before my driveway while driving not to annoy my neighbors, do do so, using the key seem not natural, in fact I wonder if I ever stopped my engine with the key, for me, kill switch, side stand and while I get off the bike I turn the key a half turn while I hold the left handle, then walk away.
Oh and you may want to try this, hold full throttle, and control your revs with the kill switch, crazy backfires, I damaged my can and had to drill new rivets to fix the ripping carbon fiber, but peoples liked the 2 foot flames out the exhaust and the loud poping noise.
Old 04-01-2007, 08:56 AM
Moderate-whore
MotoGP

Randman is on a distinguished road
What Kill switch??? Are you people Stupid or something???? LOL...I am sure I don't know what ya'll are refering too....
Old 04-03-2007, 08:37 AM
Post Whore Junior
MotoGP

Cleveland is on a distinguished road
It's the kickstand switch that gets me. At least once a month. Though, I have bumped the kill switch while riding down the road... pulled off the see why she stopped.. only to find I hit the switch.