Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

Fuel problem/vent?

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2007, 11:57 AM
Squid

Nu2thahawk is on a distinguished road
Fuel problem/vent?

Been scrolling through and possibly have an answer to my problem but thought I would poll opinions here. I rode my hawk this past weekend and had no problems until.... Went to the gas station ran great all the way. Filled up and headed for home (bout 3 miles) ran bad all the way back. Could easily roll on the throttle and rpms would build but it acted like it was starving if you cracked it harder than a grandmother drives. I really thought either a loss of spark (intermittent), fuel starvation, or contaminated fuel considering the problem started immediately after fueling. I suppose I topped it off but no more than usual.

Thoughts?
Old 08-07-2007, 12:24 PM
Superstock

Lefin102 is on a distinguished road
Contaminated fuel could be it. I live in the NE and just got to run down on the ethonal from a friend at a marina here. The problem is so bad he has a truck filled with fuel filters for service calls. He has seen etching and pitting in marine carbs and other parts of the fuel system just form sitting only a month with out use. The other problem is the fuel we get dosen't mix at all with fuel sold in the south. It almost gels immediately. This is a big problem! He has recomeded replacing the filters every 10 hours instead of the 90 hour expected life.
We alos had a problem a few years back when we filled our bikes before a track day and we all had problems. When we talked to the Honda dealer he said to run dry gas because he had seen a lot of contamination in other customers bikes.
I'd start there, Gool luck
Old 08-07-2007, 12:36 PM
MotoGP

superbling is on a distinguished road
Vapor lock from being over filled. It probably runs fine now after having some time to equalize. Next time pull over, stop, and pop open the fuel cap for a couple of secs.