Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

Clogged Tank Vent Tube

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2008, 08:28 PM
SuperBike

skokievtr is on a distinguished road
Clogged Tank Vent Tube

I had to strip the inside of my BIg Tank (VTR tank moded to 5+ gallon capacity) again and resealed it with POR15 (my fault but easy to do, and not a product issue). Unfortunately, some of the POR15 got into the top of the tank vent tube (also easy to do and difficult to prevent) and it is now 98% clogged.

?#1: Any suggestions on how to clear the vent tube? I have failed to poke out/thru the clog with everything from .040 safety wire to a piece of bicycle derailer cable; anything thicker is too stiff to bend thru the tube's double-Ss but what I've used does not seem stiff enough (bring the jokes on). I also have attempted to dissolve the stuff with MEK and Acetone (but even the manufacturer did not have suggestions on what will soften or dissolve POR15), and a combination of the above two methods. Both of which are only possible from the end of the tube under the tank; as I also tried from the topside filler hole but its neigh impossible to get past the vent "cup" and then down into the tube.

?#2: Do you think it will run with the clogged vent? I do not want to go thru installing and filling the tank with gas only to find it won't run, because washing out the tank is a long, drawn-out PITA, as I'm almost considering drilling a hole in the top front of the tank and brazing on an external vent tube, then fitting a breather hose and check valve ala MX tanks and such.

Any suggestions?
Old 06-02-2008, 09:01 PM
SuperBike

Thumper is an unknown quantity at this point
Might search for a vented sportbike style gas cap like this

http://www.customcycleengineering.co...roducts_id=499
Old 06-03-2008, 11:48 AM
Back Marker

GeMs is on a distinguished road
When I got my tank painted there was some paint that got stuck in the vent line. I just took an air compressor, and put the nozzle as tight as I could on the hole and blasted what ever was in there out. Sounds like this stuff is thicker.. but I'd still give it a try.
Old 06-03-2008, 12:03 PM
SuperBike

I've tried comp air, solvents, wire, cables and combos of all to no avail. The custom gas cap suggested above entails cutting a 2-1/4" hole, etc so that is not an option. Drilling a hole and brazing a top vent tube and using a check valve is my last resort. I'll try more solvents and wire.

Any othe ideas????
Old 06-03-2008, 12:11 PM
SuperSport

kai ju is an unknown quantity at this point
Get an old clutch cable, solder one end solid, chuck that end into a drill and roto rooter your way to happiness.
Use a piece of small tubing, steel or copper, as an external guide and shorten it as you progress up into the vent tube.

Kai Ju

P.S. pics of the tank please.
Old 06-03-2008, 12:42 PM
SuperBike

Originally Posted by kai ju
Get an old clutch cable, solder one end solid, chuck that end into a drill and roto rooter your way to happiness.
Use a piece of small tubing, steel or copper, as an external guide and shorten it as you progress up into the vent tube.

Kai Ju

P.S. pics of the tank please.
Thanks. I was thinking of doing exactly that but need to find an old clutch, throttle or brake cable. The derailer cable I tried was too thin, I hope a MC cable is thin enough to make the bends. Not only solder the drill motor end but the very tip of the lead and maybe sharpen or round it to make the double-s bends in the tube. I was again going to try and get some solvent down there first to hopefully soften the POR15 but its clogged so the trapped air won't let the solvent pass....
Old 06-03-2008, 01:51 PM
pragmatic anarchist
Superstock

peterpanic is on a distinguished road
I was thinking same thing. have done way too many drain snake outs over the years. drill with a frayed end cable... maybe even an old speedometer cable or mechanical tach drive. square end should cut through anything, especially if you sharpen the edges.
Old 06-03-2008, 02:12 PM
SuperBike

Thumper is an unknown quantity at this point
Try some heavy duty Safety Wire
Old 06-03-2008, 07:04 PM
SuperSport

kai ju is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by skokievtr
Thanks. I was thinking of doing exactly that but need to find an old clutch, throttle or brake cable. The derailer cable I tried was too thin, I hope a MC cable is thin enough to make the bends. Not only solder the drill motor end but the very tip of the lead and maybe sharpen or round it to make the double-s bends in the tube. I was again going to try and get some solvent down there first to hopefully soften the POR15 but its clogged so the trapped air won't let the solvent pass....
Most home improvement stores sell various sizes of stranded cable, just pic one that'll fit inside the breather tube.

Kai Ju