Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

fuel injection

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2014, 06:57 AM
MotoGP

mikstr is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Tri Pod Cars
Ok so I'm back!

I realise its been a while but I have been busy building clients chassis, panel kits etc, oh and running another business that makes enough money to keep me in the kit car business...

Last week I started pulling the carbs off the machine and set them aside for the carb burning party if I could make this thing work.

I had previously designed and had cut on a waterjet machine some brackets (to hold the TBs at the correct angle) and welded and machined some manifolds that bolt to the top of the RVT1000 TBs. They are the appropriate height to allow fitment of the original airbox at the factory installed position.

Anyway I started by sitting the throttle body assembly in place and hoping that one day it would deliver just the right amount of fuel at the right time and save me from the horror of the carby...

I think I mentioned previously the use of the Microsquirt V3 ECU. I hadn't used the uS before but really its more or less the same as a Megasquirt which I was familiar and like most things in the electronic world it had only gotten better.

So wiring began, followed by high pressure fuel plumbing/pumping/filtering. Much arseing around then occurred getting all sensors, ignition signal, etc etc working as needed. Funny how the universe puts up barriers to this sort of project to add some extra frustration (injector dead for no obvious reason, spark plug dead for no obvious reason, firmware gets corrupted for no obvious reason, opto input on microsquirt blows up for obvious reason).

Day by day I progressed until I had it started, then it started without fiddling with the throttle, then it blipped rather nicely, then I drove it 'round the block and today I have done 100kms. 100kms of the best driving I have done in this three wheeled thing.

Much smoother everywhere, no flat spots, soo much crisper in the throttle response department, crisper intake noise, just starts, same crappy fuel economy...

But it is far from tuned yet. So many things to fiddle with and adjust until its just right.

I am incredibly happy with the outcome in the trike. On two wheels I feel the improvement would be greater in some ways. It will change the character of the Superhawk though. It will be a faster more modern feeling machine that may not suit all tastes...?

Kit of parts and pre programmed ECU to save you all the trouble coming soon as a number of my trike customers want to do the mod and I suspect there maybe a few VTR/Superhawk owners looking for a way 'round the road to nowhere that Hondas fueling solution is/was.

Regards, Andrew.

PS. Pic is missing 'horns' that sit inside airbox (that aren't made yet) and some kind of wrap on the wiring loom.

PSS. No have manual CCTs and have also deleted PAIR valve thingies.
Nice job

I must say I have never really felt the need to look into FI for the VTR, but as I am ruuning out of mods, well.... lol Do keep us posted on the ETA and cost of said kits.

again, congrats!!!
Old 05-04-2014, 08:42 AM
Superstock

cybercarl is on a distinguished road
This may give a little insight into the complexity's of it.
Fuel injection | OZFireStorm

(:-})
Old 05-04-2014, 12:42 PM
Squid

Tri Pod Cars is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by cybercarl
This may give a little insight into the complexity's of it.
Fuel injection | OZFireStorm

I got a bit bogged down in the intricacies of injector choice... Did they get it running in the end?
Old 05-04-2014, 01:36 PM
Superstock

cybercarl is on a distinguished road
I think so but not 100% sure. I haven't a found a post with all the ins and outs of the installation but did come across a post where Colin mentioned that Shane had FI so I presume he completed it. Maybe Shane will see this thread as he a member on here too.

Old 05-04-2014, 02:07 PM
MotoGP

mikstr is on a distinguished road
Shayne was activer here at one time but it's been quite a while since he posted here... (perhaps he still visits though)....