Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

fuel gage malfunction

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2008, 12:13 PM
Certified Bad Ass
Squid

nw68868 is on a distinguished road
fuel gage malfunction

so for absolutely no reason my fuel gauge is stuck on empty and flashing no matter what i do. any suggestions?
Old 01-21-2008, 12:51 PM
Back Marker

midijunky is on a distinguished road
Did it just start happening? or were you doing work on it

It sounds kinda like mine. All of a sudden it started displaying whatever it wanted. Right after tanking up it says "Hmmm yeah I'm just going to display 1/4 tank, cool?" I think it's just the sender that's fubar.
Old 01-21-2008, 12:54 PM
MotoGP

inderocker is an unknown quantity at this point
either the sending unit is unplugged,
or the wire on the sending unit has detached from it soldered point,
or the float is now a sinker.

Last edited by inderocker; 01-22-2008 at 06:42 PM.
Old 01-22-2008, 06:35 PM
WERA #44
Superstock

happytrack44 is on a distinguished road
unplug the connector under the seat in the area at the battery, clean the connectors, re-install with dielectric grease. If that don't fix it, what the other guys said.
Old 01-22-2008, 09:21 PM
Back Marker

Chitownson is on a distinguished road
Check the shop manual ( I think it's posted on line here on the site somewhere) it has testing procedures for most of the gauges.
Old 01-22-2008, 09:33 PM
MotoGP

smokinjoe73 is on a distinguished road
Uh, fuel GAUGE? I have a '98, have they had fuel gauges added since? Is this the V-T-R or V-F-R forum??
Old 01-22-2008, 10:51 PM
Superstock

MarineHawk is on a distinguished road
2001+ have fuel gauges, yes. :P
Old 01-23-2008, 04:13 PM
Administrator
World Champion

Hawkrider will become famous soon enoughHawkrider will become famous soon enough
Yeah, them bastards have CLOCKS too!!!
Old 01-23-2008, 06:35 PM
MotoGP

nuhawk is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Hawkrider
Yeah, them bastards have CLOCKS too!!!
True, and I do miss the gauges and the clock on the VTR. My VFR is a year older but has all the goodies. I get on the Superhawk and I keep looking for all the stuff that SHOULD be there that isn't - like the Sundial and the whale-oil powered clock.

If you're ever doing a down-to-the-frame rebuild this should be considered as a valuable upgrade on the older bikes. The wiring harness has to be changed out and the gauge cluster needs to be updated. I think there is a sending unit change that needs to happen in the tank and a digital sending unit for the rad temp. It's not as easy as some would think.

When I wrecked my Superhawk in Feb of 07 I actually looked for one of the newer models that I could move all my equipment across to (including new fairings in red) but it was the wrong time of the year to do it. Prices had firmed for Spring season and it was going to be over the top expensive for me at the time. Even with somebody else cited at fault and their ins co in tow, it just couldn't work to buy the whole bike.

I may still do it if I can find a late model frame with the tank, rads, and cluster in good condition. If any of you hear of anything let me know.

My engine is running so strong now I would just move it across. I'm not interested in another engine project. Although I still need new covers.
Old 02-02-2008, 06:17 AM
Certified Bad Ass
Squid

nw68868 is on a distinguished road
well i pulled up the tank, the soldering looks fine, and then i checked the wiring harness under the seat, and i unhooked it all cleaned and reinstalled, still no fuel gauge. so short of the actual display being broken i guess its the sending unit. right?
Old 03-27-2009, 06:28 PM
Squid

Johnny_Rocket is on a distinguished road
Dealing with this right now...

If you look in the tank mouth, you will see the sensor part of the fuel level sensor on the right.
Now imagine how you fill your gas tank... Do you fill from the left side? Do you jamb the filler nossle into your fuel sender? I started filling on the right just to avoid accedentally breaking another fuel sender. What happens is usually you poke the hair thin wire with the nossle and it's all over!

Remember this trick though... Get the fuel level down far enough so you cannot see any when looking into the filler neck.
Remove the two 8mm bolts at the front of the tank and pivot it up on the back bolt.
Take a measuring tape and measure the distance between the mounting flange and the frame mount. Now... cut a chunk of 2x4 that length and drive a finish nail into each end leaving 1/2" sticking out. Use it to prop the tank up. the two finish nails will hook into the mounting tab and the bolt hole in the frame preventing the prop from popping out.

Pop open the fuel fill just to make sure the level of fuel is down below the sender.
Remove the 4X 10MM nuts and remove the sending unit. It will twist to the left to remove the float from the tank. Do not misplace the large o-ring.

Pull harness out from under the foam and replace unit in reverse order. If the wire is broken do not try to resolder it. It is a nickle/cobalt/steel alloy and you will be unable to patch the ends sucessfully. I have tried on a few and not had any sucess even if I was able to get a good connection.

Bike bandit " www.bikebandit.com " has a good parts fische and reasonable prices for replacements. I have been working on making a cover for these to prevent smashing the gauge with the filler nossle, but have yet to find a good material.
Old 03-27-2009, 07:08 PM
MotoGP

VTRsurfer is on a distinguished road
I don't ever let the gas pump nozzle touch any metal on my tank. And I direct the flow at an angle from the left side to prevent splashing fuel on the paint. That's delicate stuff in there.
Old 03-28-2009, 12:26 AM
MotoGP

inderocker is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by Johnny_Rocket
If the wire is broken do not try to resolder it. It is a nickle/cobalt/steel alloy and you will be unable to patch the ends sucessfully.

Repaired a buddies 2002 VTR sending unit... been working great for a year and a half.
Old 03-28-2009, 12:39 AM
RK1
MotoGP

RK1 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by VTRsurfer
I don't ever let the gas pump nozzle touch any metal on my tank. And I direct the flow at an angle from the left side to prevent splashing fuel on the paint. That's delicate stuff in there.
Gassing up the VTR esp. with the California Air Resources Board mandated accordion bullshit on the nozzle, is a pain in the ***. Unless on a run requiring more than a tankful, I don't bother. whenever I fill up my truck, I put 2 or 2.5 gallons in a can and use it with a funnel to top off the VTR.
Old 03-30-2009, 07:58 PM
MotoGP

nath981 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by VTRsurfer
that's strange. I have landed on putting the nozzle in from the right side. I mostly stay on the bike, bring the hose/nozzle across in front of me and fill from the right. It seems to splash more from the left. hell, i better check, maybe I got my tank on backwards??