Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

Brake/tail light malfunction

Old 01-02-2013, 11:28 PM
never too old
Squid

oldboldvtr is on a distinguished road
Brake/tail light malfunction

Hey guys, new to site and to this, have a problem. Just done CCT and all good, removed fairing as part of process. turned on ignition and it seemed all power went the tail lights to the point where theglobes melted hole in tool tray. Anyway replaced the fuse but now brake lights come on when ignition is turned on?
Just got new globes to be sure but still same. checked other fuses. Any ideas seems weird to me.
Old 01-03-2013, 04:23 AM
MotoGP

nath981 is on a distinguished road
welcome oldbold!

if you don't have a wiring diagram, you can download the service manual from the knowledge base section here. You'll likely need to go over the wiring harness carefully to find any malfunctions.

Don't know what your issue is particularly, but one thing to check would be the RR which is notoriuosly similar to the ccts in terms of failure rates. I smoked 2 of them in a short time, one by just attaching the battery cables. Finicky bastards!

https://www.superhawkforum.com/forum...-please-25756/

Last edited by nath981; 01-03-2013 at 04:31 AM.
Old 01-03-2013, 07:09 AM
SuperBike

NHSH is on a distinguished road
Just gave you a welcome on your other post mate, I'm assuming you had the globes out of there sockets of the tail light.
Start with the easy things first!
The heat the brake light generates can melt plastic in direct contact with the glass, check if one of the brake light switches are on all the time, the rear brake switch could easily got out of adjustment and now it's constantly on, if you worked in the switch area and maybe moved it a bit without noticing.

Will be here to support you
Cheers mate
Old 01-03-2013, 02:22 PM
Slacker
Superstock
Superstock

BeerHunter is an unknown quantity at this point
Which fuse was blown?
Old 01-03-2013, 02:46 PM
SuperBike

I'ma little confusing to me, on one hand it sounds like you had the brake light and running light melted together, on the other hand, when you said you got all the power going to the tail light, that is not possible, did you get anything else light up/turn on when that happened? Can you give some more details?
Old 01-06-2013, 03:33 AM
never too old
Squid

Thanks for the response guys. Didnt pu t to much detail in, didnt want to clog the air ways. I have the workshop manual and looked for answers in the Wiring diagram but didnt find any.

I will check the brake switches but they were OK B4. I had trouble with the blinkers as the after markets ones only have 1 hole for the nut and the wires flow through that which made conecting them a pain in the ****. Hence i beleive why the fuse blew. I replaced the fuse with the spare but still no joy. just doesnt make sense - well auto electrics never going to make sense/logic I suppose.

I checked all the other fuses as i think there is another one for the brake switch.

You would think the tails light would still come on anyway ??????

On the bright side did my first track day at Phillip island in november so I might strip the VTR for Track days only.

Cheers Dan
Old 01-06-2013, 07:38 AM
SuperBike

Originally Posted by oldboldvtr
Thanks for the response guys. Didnt pu t to much detail in, didnt want to clog the air ways. I have the workshop manual and looked for answers in the Wiring diagram but didnt find any.

I will check the brake switches but they were OK B4. I had trouble with the blinkers as the after markets ones only have 1 hole for the nut and the wires flow through that which made conecting them a pain in the ****. Hence i beleive why the fuse blew. I replaced the fuse with the spare but still no joy. just doesnt make sense - well auto electrics never going to make sense/logic I suppose.

I checked all the other fuses as i think there is another one for the brake switch.

You would think the tails light would still come on anyway ??????

On the bright side did my first track day at Phillip island in november so I might strip the VTR for Track days only.

Cheers Dan
Phillip Island you reckon? You make me jealous now mate , I used to race at Eastern Creek Raceway with my RGV250 and never got to try Philip Island it was too much hassle trailing 14 hours

Back to your tail prob', there should be only one fuse for the tail light and brake light, no secondary fuse, it could be something with the wiring order, double check if wiring are correct colors. Do you have the original sockets?
Old 01-08-2013, 12:39 AM
never too old
Squid

Well being new, I dont no where the section is for turkeys. After searching my brain for solutions and more to the point what did I do to make this happen, I remembered having dicked around with the rear brake switch adjustment after the track day at Phillip Island. So after sussing it all works perfectly we are now back on the road and all is well. Thanks for all the sugestions guys very helpful and appriciated ( I'm not a complete ******** but this one is pretty lame) I enjoyed the post on the rectifier/regulatior very informative. Cheers
Old 01-08-2013, 04:33 AM
SuperBike

Originally Posted by oldboldvtr
Well being new, I dont no where the section is for turkeys. After searching my brain for solutions and more to the point what did I do to make this happen, I remembered having dicked around with the rear brake switch adjustment after the track day at Phillip Island. So after sussing it all works perfectly we are now back on the road and all is well. Thanks for all the sugestions guys very helpful and appriciated ( I'm not a complete ******** but this one is pretty lame) I enjoyed the post on the rectifier/regulatior very informative. Cheers
No worries mate, glad you found the problem, we are here to help each other as well as learn.
Cheers mate