Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

Fuel delivery problems

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2010, 10:38 AM
Head Scratcher
Back Marker

poppazuti is on a distinguished road
Fuel delivery problems

I recently installed a new tank on my 99 hawk, using old petcock (which had no probs before...). After installation, all lines hooked up correctly including vacuum line, I got the bike started with choke fully on, but there was no increase in rpms (gauges are currently removed so I can't give exact rpm, but it sounded like normal idle). It responded to throttle input however. It died shortly after and I was able to get it to start again only with the choke on (again, no increase in rpm) but would die anytime I gave any throttle input. Talked to the guys down at the Honda shop, he had me pull the carbs due to the ethanol in the fuel freezing carbs up. He checked them out with me as this was my first time doing any carb work and said they looked good, very clean. Hooked them up to their reserve tank in the shop and fuel flow was fine. So we established that the problem was somewhere above the carb...
So before installing tank back on bike I hooked a vacuum line up to the petcock, turned it on and sucked on vacuum line (didn't have mityvac readily available) and got a quick burst of fuel, but continued suction brought no more flow. Turned fuel tap off/on tried again with same results. Bought a new vacuum line, same results. I took petcock apart and all diaphragms looked fine, no tears/distortion. Inner tank filter also in great shape.
I just ordered a petcock repair kit but is there anything else I'm missing or should check?

A little side note for the few people who live in the same area as me. The Honda shop here in town is AWESOME. I know a lot of people have issues with the dealerships (as I have too) but these guys have provided so much help to me at no charge and the one time I had to take it to their shop, the work was top notch and the mechanic explained what he had done and other things I should look out for.
Old 03-04-2010, 10:51 AM
MotoGP

lazn is on a distinguished road
Are you sure the vacuum line is hooked up to the correct place? What you describe sounds exactly like what we call PVLIR, that is Petcock Vacuum Line Inadvertent Relocation.

The vacuum line does NOT connect to the bottom of the petcock, that is the vent. The vacuum line rather connects to the back of the petcock on the nipple that points to the right. (rather hard to get to)
Old 03-04-2010, 11:15 AM
Head Scratcher
Back Marker

vacuum line is hooked up correctly.
Old 03-04-2010, 11:26 AM
MotoGP

lazn is on a distinguished road
hmm, perhaps there is stuff in the tank plugging the screen?
Old 03-04-2010, 11:34 AM
Head Scratcher
Back Marker

brand new tank. and the screen/filter inside is clean and in great shape too. it's frustrating as hell, right?
Old 03-04-2010, 11:41 AM
MotoGP

VTRsurfer is on a distinguished road
A long shot, but does it run with the filler cap open? If so, check the tank vent line. Make sure it is angled down all the way to the bottom with no kinks or low spots.
Old 03-04-2010, 11:52 AM
Head Scratcher
Back Marker

Haven't tried that but I actually blew through the vent lines just to make sure there were no obstructions. I'm calling the shop today to see if they can hook it up to a vacuum and check fuel flow with constant (correct) suction. Figure I'll do the petcock repair regardless as it is 11 years old.
Old 03-04-2010, 12:06 PM
SuperSport

kai ju is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by VTRsurfer
A long shot, but does it run with the filler cap open? If so, check the tank vent line. Make sure it is angled down all the way to the bottom with no kinks or low spots.
+ 1 on that question.

If the tank is a US tank than the breather will be on the inside of the tank, if it's a non US tank the breather will be through the cap and will not flow with a US spec cap.

Kai Ju
Old 03-04-2010, 12:36 PM
Head Scratcher
Back Marker

Interesting. Any markings indicating if it's US spec or not? Tank was purchased through motosport.com and the only difference in part numbers indicated paint code.
Old 03-04-2010, 09:52 PM
Head Scratcher
Back Marker

Took it to the Honda shop where we applied a constant 10 psi vacuum to it. No fuel flow. Mechanic agreed that next step is to rebuild petcock. I ordered rebuild kit but it won't ship for a week. Love the hurry up and wait.
Old 03-24-2010, 11:22 AM
Head Scratcher
Back Marker

UPDATE!

Received petcock repair kit in mail about a week ago and unfortunately it was pushed to the bottom of to-do list (expecting two babies in about 3 weeks and wife is STRESSING about getting their room finished).
Repaired petcock yesterday and still couldn't get it to start, but this morning, by the grace of god, she started. Not one to question such miracles, I threw my riding gear on and took it for a quick jaunt around the block. Since I have no headlight currently mounted decided to play it safe and keep it on the back roads.
First impressions of the exhaust system (header chopped, both cans piggybacked on right side, Jardine cans shortened 6") sounded like a cross between a v-twin and a 2 stroke! I LOVE IT! No hiccups in power, and not as obnoxiously loud as anticipated.
The downside: it's 70 degrees out today and I have no headlight brackets as they are in the process of being lengthened to clear ignition module...