Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

front end swap questions????

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2007, 07:10 PM
Back Marker

azhawk1 is on a distinguished road
Talking front end swap questions????

so I know there are a hundred or more front end swap threads but I think this may be a new one, correct me if I'm wrong. I just scored a full front end -bearings and top triple from a 99-00 r1 . its not the best choice for a swap but they look great and its a near complete (straight) front end for only 100$. So i couldnt pass it up. my questions though are has anyone done this swap? and if so I would love some bearing dimensions as this setup has none . and also the name of a company that makes custom steering head bearing sizes. any info that would save any time or money is priceless. and of course much appreciated thank you .
Old 06-18-2007, 07:19 PM
Squid

bigbob65 is on a distinguished road
I know theres a bike on here that has r1 forks and wheel and brake assembly but i think he had 929 tripples
Old 06-18-2007, 07:45 PM
MotoGP

superbling is on a distinguished road
I know of at least one guy on the VFRd forum (same steering head specs as the VTR) who's done one.
Old 06-18-2007, 07:48 PM
Back Marker

Thumbs up

thanks for the speedy response guys , I just want to get as much info under my belt as possible before I tear the hawk apart .
Old 06-18-2007, 07:56 PM
Administrator
World Champion

Hawkrider will become famous soon enoughHawkrider will become famous soon enough
KYB - yuck! But they can be made to work. Anyway, didn't the guy from France do an R1 front end swap using Triumph triples?
Old 06-18-2007, 08:05 PM
Back Marker

Smile

Are the stock r1 triples not gonna work . cant I press my steering stem into the r1 lower? if not what are the dimensions I need to be looking for . this whole thing is still kind of uncharted territory as Ive never swapped a front end before. and if I can mod the lower than what would be the best choic for the upper? and yes kyb I know but what really matters is only a hundred bucks for all of it and at least I dont have to worry about wheel bearings and spacers. thanks for the help guys.
Old 06-18-2007, 08:12 PM
Administrator
World Champion

Hawkrider will become famous soon enoughHawkrider will become famous soon enough
I was wrong. The guy I was thinking of only had an R1 front fender. The forks were fireblade with a Spondon upper triple.
Old 06-18-2007, 08:14 PM
MotoGP

nuhawk is on a distinguished road
Time to break out the digital calipers. There was an R1 swap on here recently that was very cool.
Old 06-18-2007, 10:05 PM
Squid

bigbob65 is on a distinguished road
get a set of rc51 tripples they will work great as long as ur fork tubes are 50 mm
Old 06-19-2007, 06:22 AM
SuperSport

SlowHAWK is an unknown quantity at this point
Measure your forks at the mounting points.... if you get 50mm at area of the top triple and (I think off hand 54mm) where the lower mounts you can probably go with a 929/954 upper/lower or 929/954 lower and RC51 upper.... you will also need to make sure the distance between the forks is identical to insure your wheel / brakes line up correctly.

Definity invest in a caliper to measure you stuff....

J.
Old 06-19-2007, 08:15 AM
Back Marker

actually I planned on using the r1 wheel and brakes/ rotors axle everythng and I do have the r1 lower would that work with my steering stem and the rc 51 upper? also anyone have an Idea of the bearing dimensions i will need
Old 06-19-2007, 08:58 AM
SuperSport

SlowHAWK is an unknown quantity at this point
Call All ***** Racing... tell them what you are trying to do.... they were extremely helpful insuring me that their 929 lower bearing would fit, and looking up the correct rear bearings for my CBR 900 rear wheel... luckily everything was identical to the HAWK stuff, but they checked/cross referenced each bearing and seal for me... really nice guys.

http://www.goallballs.com/home.asp

J.
Old 06-20-2007, 10:38 PM
Squid

Brycycles is on a distinguished road
hello, first post!

Hello all,

This is my first post and after reading this site for the past few days I can see that many of you are just as excited to create their personal bikes as I!

I am going to try to help AZhawk with his endeavor and I will post pictures and tech info on this swap when we discover them. Although I have no formal training on motor bikes, I am a competent bicycle mechanic with 18 years under my belt.

I have no experience with the Hondas but I have done a few things to a few bikes including a '86 RZ 350 2 cyllnder 2 stroke rocket. I started by installing a fzr swing arm(longer with a 17" tire), GSXR inverted forks with race tech everything, Tokeco 6 pot brakes, stage 3 motor mods (not by me), 36mm flat carbs with home made 2 stage carbon reeds, 2001 r1 plastics, ohlins rear shock, home made lowering links, moved battery to tail, lots of home made billet aluminum, and tooney pipes. IT took 4 months of diligent work.

I hope this project only takes about 6 hours when we begin. I also bought a 900rr for 8bills two weeks ago. The frame, sub, swing, and wheels are at powder after a 6 hour tear down/inspection. That should be back together by the end of next week and AZHawks r1 will be next. Since the bearing spec. is the same for a 900 and the hawk I will use my steer tube and head tube as the basis for trial and error with the R1 fork before we tear the Hawk up. So far the lower bearing is a perfect match. Once my frame is back form powder I should know how much we need to do with the stack height.

I spoke with a friend at MMI and he suggested just selling the r1 front end and using a 929 or 954 front end has it is an easier bolt on. BUT wouldn't the R1 just get the juices flowing.....

Sorry for the rant, I promiss to keep it conscise in the future.

Bryce