Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

Front End Alignment

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2010, 07:05 PM
Squid

11strings is on a distinguished road
Front End Alignment

Ok - before anyone mentions anything about searching for anything else, I've already looked. I didn't find anything, but then again, I'm not the best at searching for stuff anyhow. :-|

I've recently noticed (after trying time and time again to get my rear wheel in line) that my triples are out of alignment. I wouldn't say out by much, but maybe a quarter or half of the little mark on the top clamp. Just enough that when I let go of the bars (someone tell me why I should be doing that anyway?), the bike pulls to the right and I have to lean very shaply to the left in order to stay on the blacktop.

I've heard a few different methods for aligning triples but most didn't seem very reliable. I figure that between all the minds on this forum, SOMEONE knows a fairly easy yet reliable method for correcting this problem. I'm open for suggestions....
Thanks in advance!
Old 04-13-2010, 07:33 PM
MotoGP

nath981 is on a distinguished road
if the bike hasn't been down, there is a specific procedure for aligning the front. I believe it's in the shop manual of you have it or it can be downloaded off this forum. I don't remember the sequence of tightening everything back up cause I never realized there was one. If the triples are bent they will likely end up in the same place in terms of the mark. I rode mine that way for several years with a little draw to the side with hands off, but I'm not too smart. Finally got a used one that is straight.
Old 04-14-2010, 02:52 AM
SuperSport

residentg is on a distinguished road
Your forks should not be misaligned, if they are, something caused it. I would play it safe and take the forks apart and ensure that the tubes are straight. If not, you can usually get them straightened at a shop with a press. Use this opportunity to put some good race tech springs in and some good oil.