Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

Front Brake Pressure

Old 10-22-2010, 08:56 PM
Squid

jrblauch is on a distinguished road
Front Brake Pressure

I'm having a problem with my front brakes. I recently replaced the brake fluid with new and bled the system numerous times. I've searched and read the threads for bleeding and feel fairly confident that the bleeding was effective. However, The brake pumps up nicely, but after an hour or so in my heated garage, the brakes are locked on the rotors. It seems like there is expanding pressure as the bike sits. After bleeding I can roll the bike around and even ride a short stint, but when I leave it sit in the garage, the brakes will lock. I'm really not very experienced with an issue like this, and I've searched for answers here without finding any threads that discuss it. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
As background, the VTR is a 2003 model completely stock with 5000 miles. I picked it up a few weeks back for a nice deal. I was very impressed with how clean it was.
Old 10-22-2010, 09:23 PM
the boss
SuperBike

saige is on a distinguished road
Did you just change your pads,front and rear.if so,have you worn the pads in properly.
If not new pads,after bleeding,did you attempt to set them in.
It's possible by not setting in the pads properly,they will stick to rotors as they cool.
Old 10-22-2010, 09:48 PM
Squid

jrblauch is on a distinguished road
No new pads. I actually pulled the calipers from the rotors and placed a thin piece of wood between the pads to see if one side or the other was the culprit. It doesn't seem to be the pads or a rotor issue.
Old 10-22-2010, 11:30 PM
the boss
SuperBike

saige is on a distinguished road
let me know how that turns out.i would imagine if the preasure is tight,than there might still be air in the system.
i treat the front brakes on a bike just like i would with a car.start with the caliper farthest from the mc,it would be the left caliper if you are sitting on the bike.
make sure you bleed it until a smooth constant stream of fluid is coming out.than do the next one until that one has the same result.
but do not let the mc get empty at all or you will have to start all over again.
Old 10-23-2010, 01:12 AM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
I would start by checking all threads on all bleed bolts and such... It sounds like you have a leak somewhere...
Old 10-23-2010, 04:06 AM
WERA #44
Superstock

happytrack44 is on a distinguished road
Rebuild kit for the master cylinder. I chased this problem with my GSXR clutch and that's what it took to fix it.
Old 01-13-2011, 09:19 AM
Squid

rideAK is on a distinguished road
hi, i've also experienced a similar problem on my 98, although with mine it seems to just happen randomly, on one occasion the brakes started to lock up on the highway forcing me to pull off the road, rotors were glowing due to the heat. ive also tried bleeding the brakes, but mine seem to start locking after i've been using the brakes, not while sitting. any suggestions would be great, this has me rather stumped, ive never had a problem like this on any other bike..
Old 01-13-2011, 10:41 AM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
Locking brakes like that means the calipers are sticking, dissasemble and clean them... And by clean, I mean to the point you'd be comfortable putting them on the same plate as your dinner...
Old 01-13-2011, 01:13 PM
SuperSport

PUSHrod is on a distinguished road
I wonder if, in the master cylinder, the bleed hole isn't blocked. I watched a friend spend many hours on the brakes of a Z-1 until he disassemble the master cylinder and poked the debris out of the bleed hole. The symptom of dragging pads went away.
Old 01-13-2011, 01:16 PM
SuperSport

jay956 is on a distinguished road
check your lever
Old 01-13-2011, 02:02 PM
Squid

majordomo490 is on a distinguished road
What you have is a master cylinder problem.
Check that the little bleed hole in the bottom is not blocked. Check that the brake lever is fully released, sometimes aftermarket ones do not fully release. Check that you put the rubber diaphram on correctly and lastly make sure that the reservoir is not over filled with fluid.
If all these things check out ok then you will need a rebuild kit.
Old 01-20-2011, 12:41 AM
Squid

rideAK is on a distinguished road
hey, thanks for the advise, I realized that the pads where pretty worn and the previous owner over filled the brake reservoir, fixed that. lever seems to release all the way, but gets tighter as time goes on, once i get some more time I'll check what you guys mentioned about the bleed hole and rubber diaphram.

Thanks again..
Old 01-20-2011, 06:27 AM
SuperSport

98VTRrider is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by r80gsman View Post
which ss brake lines do people like the piggy back or two lines from the master cylinder
My Hawk has two lines from the master cylinder.
Old 01-20-2011, 09:33 AM
Banned
MotoGP

8541Hawk will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by rideAK View Post
hey, thanks for the advise, I realized that the pads where pretty worn and the previous owner over filled the brake reservoir, fixed that. lever seems to release all the way, but gets tighter as time goes on, once i get some more time I'll check what you guys mentioned about the bleed hole and rubber diaphram.

Thanks again..
Now it sounds like you still have a bit of air in the system.
Old 01-20-2011, 10:41 AM
Banned
MotoGP

8541Hawk will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by r80gsman View Post
which ss brake lines do people like the piggy back or two lines from the master cylinder

See this is what I really don't understand about you.
You list all the experience that you have and how fast you are, then you turn around and ask a very newbie question.

So at this point I'm not sure if you are really looking for an answer or just trolling for an argument.