Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

front brake lines

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2013, 10:28 PM
SuperSport

twist is on a distinguished road
front brake lines

So, I'm getting ready to buy braided brake lines and I question the use of the splitter bloc between the MC and the two brake lines. Some claim that by not using the splitter there is more wear on the lines at the calipers. I've done it on other bikes and never had any issues. I guess I want to know if there is any real gain in braking by omitting the splitter bloc. There is the rubber hose from the MC to the splitter so that might be an issue? I'd like to know what others have done in this regard. I want improved braking and I like the way the braided lines look.
Old 01-31-2013, 07:40 AM
Banned
MotoGP

8541Hawk will become famous soon enough
I have had the 2 separate lines on mine for 12+ years now with no issues and would recommend running that set up.
Old 01-31-2013, 08:28 AM
SuperSport

comedo is on a distinguished road
+1
Changing to two braided lines was one of the first changes I made. Removing the splitter may make the lines easier to bleed. Rubber lines deteriorate with time and should be replaced. You'll probably have a firmer feel at the lever if you use two braided lines rather that a rubber line to the splitter and two braided lines from the splitter to the calipers. I used a double banjo bolt with an included bleeder valve at the master cylinder.
Old 01-31-2013, 09:27 AM
MotoGP

7moore7 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by twist
Some claim that by not using the splitter there is more wear on the lines at the calipers.
I'm not sure I've heard of this or understand it. Internal wear or external? I'm guessing external... more of a curiosity thing for me I guess.
Old 01-31-2013, 11:13 AM
SuperSport

Originally Posted by 7moore7
I'm not sure I've heard of this or understand it. Internal wear or external? I'm guessing external... more of a curiosity thing for me I guess.
there have been some who claim the hoses get weak and can fail at the banjo bolt at the caliper, so it would be external. The motion of the forks being the main culprit. This would be especially so for duel sport bikes used on rough terrain a lot. I like the look but think it would work better coming direct from the MC with no rubber hose, no splitter and direct to the calipers.
Old 01-31-2013, 02:41 PM
SuperSport

matt365 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by comedo
+1
Removing the splitter may make the lines easier to bleed. Rubber lines deteriorate with time and should be replaced.

I agree with Comedo. The splitter block can make it a pain to bleed properly.

The most expensive part of steel braided lines is the fittings. Most are sold with a double banjo bolt for the master, and two lines to reduce the amount of fittings needed. It'd be 6 otherwise.
Old 01-31-2013, 04:14 PM
SuperSport

Looks like the splitter is going away.