SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   Technical Discussion (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/)
-   -   front brake lines (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/front-brake-lines-29773/)

twist 01-30-2013 10:28 PM

front brake lines

So, I'm getting ready to buy braided brake lines and I question the use of the splitter bloc between the MC and the two brake lines. Some claim that by not using the splitter there is more wear on the lines at the calipers. I've done it on other bikes and never had any issues. I guess I want to know if there is any real gain in braking by omitting the splitter bloc. There is the rubber hose from the MC to the splitter so that might be an issue? I'd like to know what others have done in this regard. I want improved braking and I like the way the braided lines look.

8541Hawk 01-31-2013 07:40 AM

I have had the 2 separate lines on mine for 12+ years now with no issues and would recommend running that set up.

comedo 01-31-2013 08:28 AM

+1
Changing to two braided lines was one of the first changes I made. Removing the splitter may make the lines easier to bleed. Rubber lines deteriorate with time and should be replaced. You'll probably have a firmer feel at the lever if you use two braided lines rather that a rubber line to the splitter and two braided lines from the splitter to the calipers. I used a double banjo bolt with an included bleeder valve at the master cylinder.

7moore7 01-31-2013 09:27 AM

Originally Posted by twist (Post 348568)
Some claim that by not using the splitter there is more wear on the lines at the calipers.

I'm not sure I've heard of this or understand it. Internal wear or external? I'm guessing external... more of a curiosity thing for me I guess.

twist 01-31-2013 11:13 AM

Originally Posted by 7moore7 (Post 348574)
I'm not sure I've heard of this or understand it. Internal wear or external? I'm guessing external... more of a curiosity thing for me I guess.

there have been some who claim the hoses get weak and can fail at the banjo bolt at the caliper, so it would be external. The motion of the forks being the main culprit. This would be especially so for duel sport bikes used on rough terrain a lot. I like the look but think it would work better coming direct from the MC with no rubber hose, no splitter and direct to the calipers.

matt365 01-31-2013 02:41 PM

Originally Posted by comedo (Post 348572)
+1
Removing the splitter may make the lines easier to bleed. Rubber lines deteriorate with time and should be replaced.

I agree with Comedo. The splitter block can make it a pain to bleed properly.

The most expensive part of steel braided lines is the fittings. Most are sold with a double banjo bolt for the master, and two lines to reduce the amount of fittings needed. It'd be 6 otherwise.

twist 01-31-2013 04:14 PM

Looks like the splitter is going away.