Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

Front Brake Issue

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2012, 04:33 PM
Back Marker

Camelninja is on a distinguished road
Front Brake Issue

SO, after my accident the only thing that isnt up to the proverbial snuff is my front brakes. They dont function when the bike is on for some reason, but when the bike is off or when its on and I havnt started moving they work fine, as soon as I start to move the lever goes completely slack. I can pump it to charge it up and it works again, which led me to believe that it was a bleeding issue. I have now bled the brakes twice until there is no air in the bleeding hose at all, and yet it still does not work as soon as I start to roll, which is annoying as, after I do the bleed, and put everything back together and pull the lever its nice and tight, which makes me get really pumped for a ride... and then there I am smashing the rear break to keep from rolling into the street from my parking lot... help please! Thanks :-)
Old 04-20-2012, 04:41 PM
MotoGP

7moore7 is on a distinguished road
How are you bleeding them?
Old 04-20-2012, 04:49 PM
SuperBike

NHSH is on a distinguished road
In addition to 7moore7 question i have another one for you.
How are to rotors? Did you verify they are straight???
Old 04-20-2012, 05:12 PM
Honducati
SuperSport

jbaxx is on a distinguished road
Sounds like a bent rotor is pushing the pads into the calipers, hence the slack in the lever. Check the rotor run-out with a dial indicator. If you raise the front of the bike, you may even be able to see the problem as you rotate the front tire.
Old 04-20-2012, 05:48 PM
Back Marker

Ill check that first thing in the morning, and Im bleeding it with a brake bleeding kit.
Old 04-20-2012, 05:59 PM
Banned
MotoGP

8541Hawk will become famous soon enough
You could also have a stuck piston in the calipers or a bad wheel bearing
Old 04-20-2012, 06:02 PM
Back Marker

This is looking more and more like I'm going to have to take it to the shop. I have limited tools and space.... plus I dont have a bike lift....
Old 04-20-2012, 06:38 PM
SuperBike

Originally Posted by Camelninja
This is looking more and more like I'm going to have to take it to the shop. I have limited tools and space.... plus I dont have a bike lift....
Don't rush to the shop if you can do what jbaxx suggested, you should be able to determine easy enough most potential issues mention also by 8541Hawk, once you have the wheel in the air and spin it, you should be able to hear when the rotor rubbing against the break pads. If it's rubbing unevenly through out the spin, you may have one bent rotor or both.
You can also try tapping slightly and release the front break lever while spinning the wheel, that way you can also check if you have a stuck break piston.
And you can check for wheel bearing by holding the wheel one hand on the top of the wheel an one at the button and shake it slightly, you should not have any play.
Just my 2cents before the dealer charge you arm and a leg. If you determine it's rotors, you can get then online allot cheaper than the dealer will sell you for
Old 04-20-2012, 09:05 PM
MotoGP

smokinjoe73 is on a distinguished road
Yeah man, a front lift is like $45. Pays for itself in a very literal sense.

Are you getting the brakes to feel solid and work (stop the bike?)? It sounds like you are leaving a banjo bolt or the bleeder loose. Even a bad rotor shouldnt change solid brakes into mush. You should be able to pump it back to pressure.

Go on youtube and watch some bleeding vids.
Old 04-21-2012, 04:39 AM
Back Marker

YEah, I can pump them back up to pressure. and as for the banjo and bleeder valves, I tighten them as much as I can, and before the bike starts rolling the brake lever is completely tight like it is supposed to be, its not until the bike starts rolling that there is a problem.
Old 04-21-2012, 06:21 AM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
YEah, I can pump them back up to pressure. and as for the banjo and bleeder valves, I tighten them as much as I can, and before the bike starts rolling the brake lever is completely tight like it is supposed to be, its not until the bike starts rolling that there is a problem.
With that clarification, I'd say the issue is pinpointed to either warped disc(s), or less likely a sticking caliper... A front stand will make it easy for even an inexperienced home mechanic to diagnose that and replace the part(s) needed... No special tools needed, it could be done with the tools originally provided on the bike, but it's a lot easier with a bit more complete tool chest... Stands always, always par for them selves in my experience... They make any work or maintainance easy enough that you rarely need to hire away anything but the most intricate work...
Old 04-21-2012, 07:24 AM
SuperBike

Originally Posted by Tweety
With that clarification, I'd say the issue is pinpointed to either warped disc(s), or less likely a sticking caliper... A front stand will make it easy for even an inexperienced home mechanic to diagnose that and replace the part(s) needed... No special tools needed, it could be done with the tools originally provided on the bike, but it's a lot easier with a bit more complete tool chest... Stands always, always par for them selves in my experience... They make any work or maintainance easy enough that you rarely need to hire away anything but the most intricate work...
Hey Tweety, haven't seen you for a while, good to see you back with a set of replays
Old 04-21-2012, 04:01 PM
Slacker
Superstock
Superstock

BeerHunter is an unknown quantity at this point
I believe that this condition could also happen if the forks are tweaked from a collision, or simply misalignment of the front wheel and the triple clamps during reassembly.

Also along the lines of wheel bearing play, improper front axle installation could cause similar conditions.

What were the specifics of your accident? And who did what to repair the damages?
Old 04-21-2012, 07:24 PM
Back Marker

It was a low speed collision (10 mph or less). I hit her passenger side door head on and the bike dropped on its left side, (she ran a yield sign for the record) It was declared a total loss and I bought the salvage title. I havnt had it looked at by a shop yet as the actual damage appeared to be minimal. Originally I thought that the only real damage was the loss of my left hand mirror, although now it seems the rotors are gonna be the big issue. On cursory examination they did not appear to be bent, but... that doesnt mean they arent, I dont have all the necessary tools to really check to a precise degree. I made an appointment to get it into the shop next Saturday morning, but I will continue to go out there at least twice a day every day to poke at it as though my good intentions will be enough to make the brakes function once more....
Old 04-28-2012, 10:22 AM
Back Marker

Ok, so, my right rotor is bent, and my wheel is a little bent too. The tech says that replacing the rotor will fix the problem, and that the rim isnt an immediate problem. Yay.... sort of.... So Im in the market for a rotor and possibly a wheel if the price is right. Mostly the rotor though.
Old 04-28-2012, 06:09 PM
SuperBike

HRCA#1 is on a distinguished road
Cool

Ok, so, my right rotor is bent, and my wheel is a little bent too. The tech says that replacing the rotor will fix the problem, and that the rim isnt an immediate problem. Yay.... sort of.... So Im in the market for a rotor and possibly a wheel if the price is right. Mostly the rotor though.
Just go to EBay and find a rotor probably less than 50 bucks. Doesn't matter left or right for the rotor. I'd probably replace both if I could afford it. Good place to look for a wheel too.
Old 05-11-2012, 03:57 PM
Back Marker

Ok, so I got a wheel, both rotors and an axle that only have 1500 miles on them, and he sent me the tire that was on the wheel too, and it hasnt rolled an inch (total price $150 including shipping) . They are getting installed tomorrow, and hopefully that means that I will finally have my real vehicle back for a nice ride on Sunday, and for a nice ride to work on Monday. Appreciate all the help guys! Also, if you havnt seen my new noobish question about handlebars, you should totally check it out!

Last edited by Camelninja; 05-11-2012 at 03:58 PM. Reason: added price
Old 05-12-2012, 08:04 AM
Back Marker

ITS ALIVE! I have front brakes!!! I cant tell you how excited I am! I also met one of the only only superhawk riders in the area while I was getting everything installed, so that was pretty cool (dont judge me, I dont have a bike lift and the install only cost me $15) Thanks for all the help guys!
Old 05-12-2012, 09:50 AM
MotoGP

I know that great feeling when the bike is whole again.

How often do you find yourself using the "dont judge me" line. Might wanna keep an eye on that lol
Old 05-12-2012, 10:49 AM
Back Marker

I have to use it quite often, but I literally have no room in my condo for anything else, including a bike lift. I received a few comments on this forum about my lack of equipment when I first started coming here, so I now just set out a preemptive defense. If I had any room at all I would have more things to do my own work... its just not in the cards until at least december.
Old 05-12-2012, 05:24 PM
MotoGP

Yeah, here the City we have a bit of a space issue. I have painted race bodywork hanging it from a tree then with a big pole hang it from a fire escape to dry.. Now after a couple decades I moved out to Queens and have a garage. Its like paradise.