Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

Free power ground mod

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2015, 08:38 AM
SuperBike

xeris is on a distinguished road
Free power ground mod

Looking for an up date from NZSpokes or anyone else that has done the additional ground to the ignition control unit as touched on in the What did you do today threadhttps://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/general-discussion-30/what-did-you-do-your-superhawk-today-27276/page40/
Post 1181.
Is this take off point for the additional ground?
Free power ground mod-ground-connection-point.jpg
Old 03-02-2015, 08:48 AM
Well take off, eh.
SuperBike

Jack Flash is on a distinguished road
I think you mean post 1162 ??
Old 03-02-2015, 11:03 AM
SuperSport

NZSpokes is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by xeris
Looking for an up date from NZSpokes or anyone else that has done the additional ground to the ignition control unit as touched on in the What did you do today threadhttps://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/general-discussion-30/what-did-you-do-your-superhawk-today-27276/page40/
Post 1181.
Is this take off point for the additional ground?
Attachment 18398
Well it runs which is a good start.

Seems to start much better and just feels cleaner. Hard to put a finger on it exactly but the bike does feel better. No its not a 50bhp boost but mid feels better.
Old 03-02-2015, 11:04 AM
Thread Killer
SuperBike

VTR1000F is on a distinguished road
I'm sold.
Old 03-02-2015, 11:47 AM
SuperBike

kenmoore is on a distinguished road
Site of like when I took the lip of the air filter, just feels better?
Old 03-02-2015, 12:27 PM
SuperSport

Put it this way, I will be doing it to all my bikes from now on. My 1200 bandit is next.
Old 03-02-2015, 12:30 PM
Well take off, eh.
SuperBike

Before going out and moding something like this. better run a voltage test before, and, after. Running too much voltage may end up cooking everything on the bike in the long run.

When engineers design the bike, wiring resistance is factored in to arrive at the right voltage to each component. The best example of this is when your R/R fails. It begins to dump high voltage to the battery, and kills it.
Old 03-02-2015, 12:32 PM
Back Marker

AndyMX47 is on a distinguished road
How can shortening a path to ground by all of 2' make a difference in how a bike (especially a carbureted bike) runs? Not being a nay-sayer, but I just don't get it. How much resistance is there that you are reducing? Where's Tweety when you need him?
Old 03-02-2015, 12:35 PM
SuperBike

Originally Posted by Jack Flash
I think you mean post 1162 ??
Yes, that one also. The post I indicated was with the link to the video.

Originally Posted by NZSpokes
Well it runs which is a good start.

Seems to start much better and just feels cleaner. Hard to put a finger on it exactly but the bike does feel better. No its not a 50bhp boost but mid feels better.
Did you use the ground wire that is circled in blue in the posted diagram? I didn't think to mention the circle in the first post.
Old 03-02-2015, 01:21 PM
SuperSport

Originally Posted by xeris
Yes, that one also. The post I indicated was with the link to the video.

Did you use the ground wire that is circled in blue in the posted diagram? I didn't think to mention the circle in the first post.
I will take a pic when I get time. But yes it was a green wire on both boxes. and the remaining green wire I put to earth on the frame as well.
Old 03-02-2015, 01:35 PM
SuperBike
SuperBike

thedeatons is on a distinguished road
Yes where is Tweety

If this actually helps something then i'm in... Anyone have any hard evidence? I'm a Navy trained Electronics Technician, so I understand the mechanica behind what this should do, but i realize there are Superhawk veterans who may know something i don't

James
Old 03-02-2015, 02:20 PM
SuperSport

Before going out and moding something like this. better run a voltage test before, and, after. Running too much voltage may end up cooking everything on the bike in the long run.

When engineers design the bike, wiring resistance is factored in to arrive at the right voltage to each component. The best example of this is when your R/R fails. It begins to dump high voltage to the battery, and kills it.
Well when I run a direct feed to the headlight it gets brighter?
Old 03-02-2015, 05:26 PM
Well take off, eh.
SuperBike

Originally Posted by NZSpokes
Well when I run a direct feed to the headlight it gets brighter?
YUP ! And Watch it burn faster.
Old 03-02-2015, 05:47 PM
SuperSport

YUP ! And Watch it burn faster.
Speaking of which my headlight is brighter as well with this mod.
Old 03-02-2015, 06:21 PM
Superstock

Big_Jim59 is on a distinguished road
I am no electrician but I did take a BMW course in trouble shooting K bike electrical systems. I spent two days in a class room poring over graphs and schematics until my head swam with it all. At the end the instructor said, "most of the problems with find will be from corrosion." He was right. Every point of connection, every spade connector, crimped wire or joint is subject to corrosion. It's not the distance of the run, it's the resistance of the wire and the connector that does the trick. Adding a new ground run does nothing but insure a good "earth" and that can't hurt anything.
Old 03-02-2015, 07:18 PM
Back Marker

AndyMX47 is on a distinguished road
I understand that adding a better ground can't hurt anything. I would like to know how much resistance there was between the "stock" ground wire and how much there is in the "mod" ground wire.

I also understand that if you have corroded connections, or multiple connections, it might make a difference in how bright your headlight burns - but more power, or smoother power? How? More voltage to the coils? Longer spark duration? Might get better results from cleaning the mounting points behind the coils? Cleaning the spade connectors in the original harness?
Old 03-02-2015, 07:24 PM
Superstock

Big_Jim59 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by AndyMX47
I understand that adding a better ground can't hurt anything. I would like to know how much resistance there was between the "stock" ground wire and how much there is in the "mod" ground wire.

I also understand that if you have corroded connections, or multiple connections, it might make a difference in how bright your headlight burns - but more power, or smoother power? How? More voltage to the coils? Longer spark duration? Might get better results from cleaning the mounting points behind the coils? Cleaning the spade connectors in the original harness?
There is no harm in that at all. In fact a good clean of all the ground points is a real plus and probably should be considered a regular maintenance item.
Old 03-03-2015, 12:04 AM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by thedeatons
Yes where is Tweety

If this actually helps something then i'm in... Anyone have any hard evidence? I'm a Navy trained Electronics Technician, so I understand the mechanica behind what this should do, but i realize there are Superhawk veterans who may know something i don't

James
You rang?

I'm here, I'm here...

Well... First of all, Sorry Jack Flash... But I have to call bullshit on the "correct voltage" through resistance in the wiring... A stock wiring harness on any bike 80-present, is a mess of least cost solutions, that doesn't include much forethought at all... In a perfect world, what you say is true... In the world of big business, the almighty dollar is king...

There are wires feeding multiple parts, just spliced together with a simple crimp over three-four-five wires, where the simplest calculation ever will tell you that you are in fact creating a hot spot by doing that, since the one wire feeding it all is barely able to supple the wattage needed without catching fire...

For example an automotive headlight bulb like the H4 used on the Superhawk, should be run at a voltage between 13.2 and 14.2 Volts for greatest efficiency and light output vs lifespan. But on a stock harness, with me doing my best to chase down any imperfections, corrosion or whatever, i simply couldn't feed enough through the harness to get that voltage, no matter what... I had a voltage drop of nearly 2.5 V over the wiring to the bulb from the battery and R/R... And that is simply not normal...

Ie, in effect, the R/R and battery should need to supply ~16V to even push the bulb up to spec... And at that point, the ECU would be on the limit of frying, as it is spec'ed to work from 12-15.5V, and on a better path... (Normal operating voltage is supposed to be 13.2-13.8 or 13.5 +/- 0.3V, and the ECU should work on a wider "safe" range...)

Will you get more horsepower fiddling with your wiring harness? I highly doubt it...

But is it completely safe to beef up the ground side of the wiring... There is no possibility of damage what-so-ever from over voltage or otherwise... On the live side of the wiring, there is a small possibility of doing damage if you just go about it nilly-*****, but it's about the same as winning the lottery...
Most likely you will gain about as much from getting the correct gauge on some path's as you loose on others by over sizing the wire and inducing resistance that way...

As a Summary... Even though you won't gain HP, it is entirely possible to free up some horses you should have if you combine a few things...

One, go through the ground circuits... Beef them up, but most importantly clean any terminals, remove corrosion, and then seal them with the proper grease for protecting electric components....

Two, run a relay harness to the headlight to give it the correct voltage, and remove that large load from the rest of the system, which then becomes a whole lot better balanced...

Three, upgrade the R/R and the wiring to it... A mosfet R/R isn't just more reliable than the stock R/R... It's also more stable, feeding the correct voltage at a larger span of input voltage and surrounding temperature, making everything in your bike's electronic system from bulbs, to ECU live longer...

Four, swap the archaic ignition coils for stick on coils, see the other threads for details on this mod...

If you do ALL of these things... In order of importance from the top... Then, you will definitely see a cleaner spark and better combustion than before... And, unless your bike was in absolute showroom condition to begin with, odds are you will have gained a few horses, albeit barely measurable on a dyno...

I did that, and i could barely see a measurable, repeatable difference on the dyno... But then again, I'm fairly sure my coils and the plug wires on them was in less than tip-top condition at the time, since my bike had gone from starting easily to being a bitch to start, and running rough, which was my reason for doing it in the first place...

Free power ground mod-h4-voltage.jpg Taken from a .pdf file on Hella's site...

Last edited by Tweety; 03-03-2015 at 03:18 AM.
Old 03-03-2015, 02:12 AM
SuperSport

I would agree with Tweety. Im not trained in sparky stuff so will bow to other that will know way more than I.

But from what I know from the headlights I figured this may work. And it does. As Tweety said and I said its not going to find heaps. But my bike just starts and runs a little better for it. And for what? A bit of wire and some connectors.

These bikes are not showroom fresh. Going through the wiring and cleaning earths etc can only help.
Old 03-05-2015, 09:05 AM
SuperBike

Pulled the ICU to ID the terminal used, JAE MX23 Female Terminal. Plan was to extract the stock ground wire and splice it into a new heavier gauge wire run directly to the battery. While I had things opened up I measured the resistance of the stock ground wire from the connector to the battery, to a clean point on the frame, engine and to the ground to the body of the R/R. I had the same results at each point ~.8 ohms. This project is on hold till I finish some other more important projects. Not saying someone shouldn't do this, as in it's not worth it, but I'm going to hold off. My bike is corrosion free everywhere I've wrenched on it. Maybe one of the advantages of living where water, when it does happen, disappears before your eyes.
Old 03-18-2015, 06:50 PM
SuperBike
SuperBike

Anyone else have any updates on their doing this? It's fun reading the stories about new ideas and the results!!

James
Old 03-21-2015, 08:36 AM
über-n00b
Superstock

Spoot is on a distinguished road
and on the SH... which exact wire is it at the ICU? color/pin? pic?
thnx
Old 03-26-2015, 09:24 AM
SuperBike

Originally Posted by Spoot
and on the SH... which exact wire is it at the ICU? color/pin? pic?
thnx
Did not see this post.
It's the solid green out of the ICU
Old 03-26-2015, 12:11 PM
SuperSport

Have been commuting on my Hawk and its getting cold here which always needed choke. Not anymore. Fires right up with none.
Old 04-01-2015, 08:53 PM
SuperBike
SuperBike

So correct me if i'm wrong, but ya can't just cut the green wire, and connect the two green wire pieces to a fresh frame ground nearby... You actually have to run them to the ground side of the battery... Correct?

James
Old 04-02-2015, 08:30 AM
SuperBike

Given that the ground wire to the ICU goes all over the bike and looks like it only has one point to the frame (and I have no idea where that is). So when I installed the mosfet R/R there was an extra ground wire, or it could be the original ground wire to the old R/R (don't remember) that I attached to the mounting point of the new R/R. In effect I have a second ground point much closer to the ICU. Is an additional, clean ground point close to the ICU on the frame the same as a home run to the battery? Over my head.
Old 04-02-2015, 12:09 PM
SuperSport

To me the whole point of it is to get the best possible earth. Which is to the battery. Frame earth will run back through the motor earth.
Old 04-02-2015, 12:23 PM
Back Marker

Pidge is on a distinguished road
Well if we are going to be that picky, when the bike is running the true earth is at the negative DC output terminal of the Rectifier / Regulator.
Old 04-02-2015, 05:11 PM
SuperBike

IIRC the R/R wire kit (what I used) from Eastern Beaver by-passes the stock wire harness and goes directly to the battery.
Old 04-03-2015, 12:58 AM
SuperSport

Originally Posted by Pidge
Well if we are going to be that picky, when the bike is running the true earth is at the negative DC output terminal of the Rectifier / Regulator.
Well if that would be better I would look at it.

Quick Reply: Free power ground mod