Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

Frame Swap?

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2007, 11:29 AM
Squid

lobster is on a distinguished road
Frame Swap?

I have a line on a VTR project bike, but it's pretty wrecked.

Anyway, it looks like it needs a new frame (large dent on right side), so how much of a PIA is it to swap frames and what am I looking at for cost of a new frame...even if it is available?

Thanks.
Old 05-20-2007, 01:40 PM
SuperBike

RickB is on a distinguished road
I did a frame swap on my old FZR and it wasn't bad - if you're mechanically inclined it shouldn't be a problem... No idea what used SH frames are going for these days.
Old 05-20-2007, 01:53 PM
Squid

VTRBandit is on a distinguished road
Not a problem at all. I had my bike together, then apart, then together then apart and together again. (it gets a lot easier after the first time!!) Taking it apart would be the hardest, especially first. But if you are patient and label most everything with some masking tape and #s or names, then I say you can have the whole bike torn down to bare bones in a day. Put back together in a day minus an hour or two. I never timed myself taking the bike apart, but to give you a clue, I had my new motor come in with everything already apart from the bike at 3pm. I had everything back together minus the fairings by 10pm. All by myself too, it would be adviseable to get a 2nd or maybe a 3rd set of hands when putting the frame on the engine, esp if the forks are already attached. Also a $60 yellow harbor freight jack and some wood make it much easier to lift and lower and turn the project while working on it.