Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

frame damage?

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2008, 06:07 PM
Squid

Blkbird is on a distinguished road
frame damage?

low sided my hawk on sunday in the mountains, fairings are cracked on both sides and rear and exhaust pretty bent and scraped. going to strip them all off but i have no idea how to check for frame/sub frame/fork damage. not sure what else to look for either. broke my hand so i have a while to fix it all just wanted to know the best way to start. thanks.
Old 03-25-2008, 06:31 PM
BANNED IN D.C.
SuperSport

Condor is on a distinguished road
****. That really sucks, dude. IM glad to hear youre relatively ok...broken hands suck....where were you riding at? 129 or Warwoman??
Old 03-25-2008, 06:43 PM
Squid

i was on 60 headed back to dalonega, between Two Wheels Only and the yield intersection. just leaned over too far going about 35 and lost the back end, wrecked bike into the guardrail and me into the bike. sucked. hurts. could have been a lot worse though.
Old 03-25-2008, 07:04 PM
Superstock

sassage is on a distinguished road
definitely could have been worse...as far as the frame, you'll want to look for any big scratches, gouges or obvious cracks
Old 03-25-2008, 07:51 PM
MotoGP

nuhawk is on a distinguished road
Man, I cringe everytime I hear "guard rail" - it's always nasty. I've seen the YouTube **** and the drag/stunt shows on TV and I can't watch it. I never think about it while I'm riding because I give them their distance.

Sounds like you had the best mix if you have to crash. A known road is worth a lot because you prepare for the impact before you get to it. You had your speed in line for what is considered a survivable wreck.

I walked away a year ago on the same day three other guys like me went to the morgue in the very same type of crash. SUV turning in front of an oncoming bike - all senior riders, all within the posted limits and all geared up. I walked away with a broken wrist.

I credit all the members here that helped me build the bike that helped save my life in that wreck. Brakes, suspension, rear shock - all played a part in minimizing the damage - to me and the bike. I was running at 45mph and had about a hundred feet to impact. The best restructuring of the collision points an impact speed at about 22mph.

Heal quickly! Don't moan about the bike to much. Just tear the bitch apart and start throwing **** away. It's the best way to cleanse the crash. Even stripped - she's purttier than wrecked. Good luck!
Old 03-25-2008, 08:56 PM
evil man of nothing
MotoGP

captainchaos is on a distinguished road
Sorry to hear that brother we've all been through it...I know it doesn't make you feel any better now but any time you're able to walk away with no permanent injuries you're golden. Bikes can always be fixed or new ones bought...As for the bike you have did the front impact anything? If it did check the welds at the neck, they're notorious for cracking with impact (I actually managed to completely rip my frame in half so ask me how I know lol). Also check the two mounting points for the fairing stay, one often breaks too if the front hits anything. You can do a basic visual on the front end and forks. Try pointing the bars straight ahead and check to see if the wheel points straight. Also put a stand under the front end and spin the wheel and see if it and the rotors spin true. And if the exhaust is bent the subframe's probably bent too since it takes the force of the exhaust that's attached to it. As was said just start tearing it apart, it'll be like therapy and alot of parts can be had for pretty cheap here and on ebay. Best of luck and heal fast...
Old 03-25-2008, 08:57 PM
evil man of nothing
MotoGP

captainchaos is on a distinguished road
And there's always gmd computrack...for $150 they'll tell you for sure if anythings wrong with it...though actually fixing it goes up from there...
Old 03-28-2008, 01:58 PM
Squid

So after tearing off the fairings i've found that the frame and the fairing mounts look fine but the subframe looks slightly bent. the front forks are really bent but i can't tell about the triples. the metal tube support that holds the gauge cluster is bent in but the gauges are fine. Since I'm already in this unfortunate situation, what do yall think about trying to upgrade forks; maybe from 954, 900, 1000rr, RC51, etc. I've never done anything like this before but now I've got plenty of time. Which swaps are easiest or best and what all is involved? Would it be better to just get new SH forks and modify internals? sorry, thats a lot of questions. and thanks for all yall's support!