Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

Flat spot in throttle at 3-4k

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2013, 11:07 AM
Squid

Troy Wallis is on a distinguished road
Question Flat spot in throttle at 3-4k

I have owned my 2002 Superhawk for about 4 months. It had 12000 miles on it when I bought it. I took it to a shop and had it gone through at 13000 miles. Mechanic said it was mechanically sound. Bike is pretty much stock. Recently it has been acting strange when I give it hard throttle between 3-4k. I can only describe it as a flat spot. I am new to motorcycles so I may not be describing it correct. If I roll on the throttle smooth it is fine through the whole range. But if I crank on the gas it lurches and shakes up till 4k then smoothes out. The only things I have done since the mechanic check it was change the air filter (stock filter) and remove the evap canister. When not in gear I can rev the engine and it doesn't miss or hesitate through 3-4k. When under load it does. I checked for vaccum leaks, reattached the evac can and changed the plugs this weekend with no change. I put carb cleaner in the tank also. I have run out of gas a couple times because the meter doesn't work properly. Not sure if that would cause this but just trying to give as much info as possible. I am 95% sure I put the evap lines back in proper locations. Not sure if that would cause this problem. I live in the Sacramento area. I know there are a few Hawk owners around if anyone could take a look at it that would be great. I can't imagine it could be anything major. I feel like I am just over looking something simple. I don't want to pay my mechanic 70 bucks to attach a hose but am getting to that point.

Thanks for any help.
Old 08-23-2013, 12:15 AM
Bike Aficionado
Squid

wigglers is on a distinguished road
Nice to see another Hawk rider in the area. I literally am having the same issue. Occurred after I was done swapping out my CCTs for manuals. Now I am getting a flat spot that takes a second to surge past, it idles oddly and doesn't seem to be running all that well. Randomly stalls as well. Looks like Ill be taking mine up to Roseville Honda next week. Ill keep you posted if I find anything else about the matter. Because as of now I am baffled
Old 08-23-2013, 12:49 AM
Rex Kramer-Thrill Seeker
SuperBike

CruxGNZ is on a distinguished road
Wiggles, are you sure you didn't tighten down your CCT's too much? This can cause a few of the problems you describe. What installation directions did you follow?
Old 08-23-2013, 09:05 AM
Squid

Troy Wallis is on a distinguished road
Mine seems to be running fine except for the flat spot 3-4k. If I gun it at 2k it's fine, hits 3 and feels like I'm on a jackhammer till 4k. Idle is a little high but I don't have any stalling issues. Pulls like a freight train after 4k. I actually haven't installed my manual cct's as of yet. Waiting for winter to do that project as well as some others. I'm going to take mine to Gold River Motorsports in Rancho next week. The mechanic there actually owns a SH and is a nice guy. I was just hoping to get an opinion on what may be happening before I take it in.

I'll post any info I get on here when I find out something.
Old 09-02-2013, 11:19 AM
Bike Aficionado
Squid

wigglers is on a distinguished road
See my new technical thread for more info on the problems I have been having.