Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

engine tick

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2016, 07:09 PM
Squid

jjansenrs is on a distinguished road
engine tick

Hey guys, my superhawk has had a tick for quite a while now and i am looking for advice on where to go with this.

Here's a video:

Started to notice the tick early last year and had the valves checked, carbs balanced, and ape tensioners installed a few months after, but no change in the noise. The noise seems to start after about a half hour of ride time, usually notice it after decelerating to a stop. It will then continue to tick unless i let it idle for 5-10 mins, then it seems to go away. Haven't seen any metal flakes in the oil after changes, even cut open the filter and saw nothing out of the ordinary. Today I tinkered with the cct's and that didn't help. also held screwdriver to engine and ear in several spots but could only narrow the sound down to the bottom end of the engine. Where should I go from here?
Old 03-15-2016, 09:53 PM
Rex Kramer-Thrill Seeker
SuperBike

CruxGNZ is on a distinguished road
I had a noise similar. Click the link below and go to post #13 to see the reason.
https://www.superhawkforum.com/forum...g-noise-32563/
The only thing is, I saw A LOT of metal in the oil filter. That metal eventually plugged a oil passage and destroyed my engine.
I'm not sure if this is your issue, since you didn't find any metal in your filter, but you never know. When was the last time you had your engine cover off to take a look at the clutch?

From the video, it sounds like a valve, but if it was, the noise wouldn't come and go like you say it does.

Does the noise change when you pull the clutch lever?

Don't "tinker" with the MCCT's to much. You really need to have the cam chain tension set correctly.

EDIT: Where in Wisconsin do you live? If it's not to far from Brookfield, I wouldn't mind taking a look at it for you.

Last edited by CruxGNZ; 03-16-2016 at 04:31 AM. Reason: ADDing stuff
Old 03-16-2016, 01:06 AM
SuperBike

kenmoore is on a distinguished road
Does your bike have an ignition advancer fitted?

Is the anti rattle gear still fitted?

If it was me I would be pulling the clutch cover and having a look as that noise would worry the hell out of me.
Old 03-16-2016, 06:01 AM
Squid

jjansenrs is on a distinguished road
The clutch cover has never been off the bike that i know of. So as far as i know everything is stock inside there. The tension on the cct's is set correctly, I just turned them in and out a bit to see if that changed the noise. The noise doesn't change when the clutch is pulled in, but looking through the oil fill cap does show some slight basket movement. I assume a little bit is normal.

CruxGNz- I live near Platteville, about 2.5 hours away.

Last edited by jjansenrs; 03-16-2016 at 10:21 AM.