Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

Engine shuts off after 10 min

Old 05-19-2019, 10:49 AM
Squid

Brent Alan Athy is on a distinguished road
Engine shuts off after 10 min

Hi Folks, I am a new mwmber here, to be honest I am trying to figure out what is wrong with my bike and can realy use some help here. I have a '98 VTR1000F and it runs great---for about 10 minutes then shuts off, There is power as all the lights are working but there is no power to the ignition or starting circuit until it cools off (aprox 20 min) then starts bck up just fine only to repeat the process. I have replaced the ignition switch, engine cu-off switch, by-passed the side stand switch, replaced both of the ECU's and even for kicks replaced the coils. Nothing works. I am in desperate need of help.
Old 05-21-2019, 05:48 AM
Retired- but not tired!
SuperBike

CrankenFine is on a distinguished road
What happened right before it started doing this?
Old 05-21-2019, 06:49 AM
Squid

cpl rampage is on a distinguished road
Try replacing the fuses, even if they measure good when cold, or even better, check them in circuit after it has warmed up and cut out. it is rare but I have seen a fuse crack and make contact when cold, and expand and break contact when warm enough.
Old 05-21-2019, 02:03 PM
Squid

Brent Alan Athy is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by CrankenFine View Post
What happened right before it started doing this?
It shut down on me once on a ride home after 20 min but when re-started ran fine the rest of the trip even after a re-fuel. This eas about a year before it got to the point it is now.
Old 05-22-2019, 03:23 PM
MotoGP

E.Marquez is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Brent Alan Athy View Post
Hi Folks, I am a new mwmber here, to be honest I am trying to figure out what is wrong with my bike and can realy use some help here. I have a '98 VTR1000F and it runs great---for about 10 minutes then shuts off, There is power as all the lights are working but there is no power to the ignition or starting circuit until it cools off (aprox 20 min) then starts bck up just fine only to repeat the process. I have replaced the ignition switch, engine cu-off switch, by-passed the side stand switch, replaced both of the ECU's and even for kicks replaced the coils. Nothing works. I am in desperate need of help.
As you have found out, parts swapping is not the better way to fix the issue.

You really are going to need to do some methodical diagnostic testing with a meter, when the bike is in the no start state.

Honestly, what you are describing can only be a few things and tracking down the source will not be that hard once you have the tools, the plan and the bike in the no start condition.

"Why is my bike stumbling at partial slow roll on throttle at 5673 to 5724 RPM's when it rains" is a hard to diag thing.
Why my bike has no power after 10min ...if your checking when its in that condition should e about 10 min to get to the general area or part, and then what ever time is needed to move, unbolt, unravel what is needed to physically get to the trouble.

So do you have a test meter and know how to use it? If not, start with that.
Old 05-23-2019, 03:27 AM
Superstock

ACE VenTRa is on a distinguished road
If you are losing power to the coils after 10min or so of riding, but you have power everywhere else, and when it runs it runs fine, I suspect you have a pinched wire somewhere and the 10 min is either coincidental or heat related. Are you certain that you do or don't have power at all points you mentioned? All things being equal it should stall at idle on the side stand just the same as if you were riding it. So, let it idle and see if it dies. If not, perhaps you're crushing a wire under the tank or seat. I say this because it is only your ignition and cranking circuits that are effected. Check the solenoid screws and all connectors that running behind the frame rail by your left leg. The problem is there and you will find it, just keep at it.

AV