Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

Engine Breaking SuperHawk vs Ducati SS

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2007, 11:50 AM
Squid

Chuey is on a distinguished road
Engine Breaking SuperHawk vs Ducati SS

Just had a flash back to the Ducati 750SS that was in the stable a few years ago. I recall the bike had close to zero engine breaking. The SuperHawk has a lot of engine breaking, is there a difference in flywheel inertia? What gives?
Old 06-08-2007, 03:14 PM
SuperBike

Thumper is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by Chuey
Just had a flash back to the Ducati 750SS that was in the stable a few years ago. I recall the bike had close to zero engine breaking. The SuperHawk has a lot of engine breaking, is there a difference in flywheel inertia? What gives?
Always wondered that myself, the SV650 (i know smaller engine) has nearly no engine brake either.

It is nearly impossible to coast on a SuperHawk without instant engine brake and deceleration of coasting speed in a quick manner.
Old 06-08-2007, 03:46 PM
Squid

Babelfish is on a distinguished road
I've tried a 916 and as far as I can remember it was similar. Looking at the TL/SV1000 the seem to behave the same way.

SS750 may have lower compression. Air cooled, low power engine, SV650 is a much smaller engine.

Hard Engine braking is something you get when you buy a large twin.
Old 06-08-2007, 04:03 PM
MotoGP

lazn is on a distinguished road
The superhawk has very little engine breaking if you replace the CCT's, that really is the main cause of dead engines..

But it will still have lots of engine braking, as will any high compression large displacement engine.
Old 06-08-2007, 07:34 PM
SuperBike

[QUOTE=lazn;56226]The superhawk has very little engine breaking if you replace the CCT's, that really is the main cause of dead engines..

QUOTE]

Humm i had Honda replace the original CCT under warranty and then i recently replaced my Honda CCT with the APE CCT's and i noticed no difference in engine brake.

I don't see how the CCT would have anything at all to do with engine brake, its all piston compression and clutch as far as i can tell.
Old 06-08-2007, 08:15 PM
MotoGP

lazn is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Thumper

Humm i had Honda replace the original CCT under warranty and then i recently replaced my Honda CCT with the APE CCT's and i noticed no difference in engine break.

I don't see how the CCT would have anything at all to do with engine break, its all piston compression and clutch as far as i can tell.
Break means to fail or get damaged.. Brake means to slow down. Thus engine breaking = buy new engine and engine brake = slow down with less throttle.
Old 06-08-2007, 08:25 PM
evil man of nothing
MotoGP

captainchaos is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by lazn
Break means to fail or get damaged.. Brake means to slow down. Thus engine breaking = buy new engine and engine brake = slow down with less throttle.
lol he has a point...but I think the thread was about engine BRAKING not breaking/broken engines, he just spelled it wrong...there was actually a pretty interesting article in I believe cycle world regarding engine BRAKING I'd have to look around to dig it up. It didn't talk about the superhawk but I think it did compare a TL and a bunch of other engines.
Old 06-09-2007, 05:25 AM
Superstock

Lefin102 is on a distinguished road
I just bought a Ducati ST3 and it doesn't have anything like the SH in engine braking. I thought there was somthing wroung with it. I like the SH much better for this characteristic! However the Duck is a better sport tourer for longer distance.
Old 06-09-2007, 07:38 AM
SuperBike

Originally Posted by lazn
LAZN, for you i corrected my grammer errors, i guess i just picked up on the original posts spelling and ran with it.

My comments were 100% directed toward "Off-Throttle" Engine Brake.
Old 06-16-2007, 08:48 PM
Administrator
World Champion

Hawkrider will become famous soon enoughHawkrider will become famous soon enough
Raise your idle speed to 1500-2000 and you'll have less engine braking.
Old 06-16-2007, 09:44 PM
Back Marker

Chitownson is on a distinguished road
Engine Braking

I like the engine braking; that's part of the reason I ride the superhawk instead of some soul-less inline 4 appliance. I can ride twisty roads for miles without the frustrating shifting frenzy. I have friends who ride ducati 900 SS's and I can keep up with them in the curves until they turn it up past 9/10th. (I noticed once I adjsuted my TPS to the lower end of factory specs, the power delivery is much smoother and I can power into turns with more throttle and better control) In the straightaways, I'll take the v-twin's torque & horsepower anyday.