Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

Ebay Pair block off plate install

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2009, 06:47 AM
Administrator
MotoGP

E.Marquez is on a distinguished road
Ebay Pair block off plate install

For those that have or will buy PAIR block off plates...A few tips.

One; there is a seller on ebay, that has them for just a few bucks.. HOWEVER they do not fit without some modifications.

If you miss this fix, you will end up with an exhaust leak.

Two; reusing the reed valve assembly and it's silicone gasket sees to be the best plan, you already own it, it fits, seals perfectly. You can make a gasket if you want,,, (red silicone pot holders work great, until the wife catches you cutting them up.... I buy her extra now...so I have spares)
But it is hard to make it look good and fit well.

Three; use a drop of thread sealant, or drill the fasteners for safety wire... otherwise they may vibrate out, the reed plate blows out to unknown locations and causes a HUGE exhaust leak requiring you to stop at a Buddy's shop and cut a gasket from a telephone book, and use what every fasteners are available.. Right nuhawk

Lastly; watch the fasteners for the plates,,,the holes in the valve cover are not very deep. I drilled a few socket head fasteners for safety wire last night,, went t install them, and the screw shank bottomed out before the plate was tight against the valve cover,,,10mm length is the max you can fit in there .
Attached Thumbnails Ebay Pair block off plate install-dsc00369.jpg   Ebay Pair block off plate install-dsc00368.jpg  

Last edited by E.Marquez; 01-17-2009 at 08:13 AM.
Old 01-17-2009, 08:47 AM
Back Marker

Ohio Hawk is an unknown quantity at this point
What's that saying that comes to mind..."You Get What You Pay For" But that is a good tip for people that do not pay attention to details.
Old 01-17-2009, 09:17 AM
MotoGP

nuhawk is on a distinguished road
After I saw how easy it was while you were repairing your install, I ordered plates from a link in an old thread here on the forum. I haven't checked the fit in the corner. They are cast not cut from plate. About $20 including shipping - seems like a nice guy.
Old 01-17-2009, 09:21 AM
Administrator
MotoGP

Yup, you can pay more, or you can pay a lot less and spend 30 seconds with a file or less with a sanding disk or carbide burr on an air die grinder and it all works out the same.

Heck, I bet you can contract a machine shop to mill a billet PAIR valve block off plate with an integral recess for a VITON o ring..... Ohhh,oo wait.. You could have that same shop mill up a replacement billet valve cover that has no PAIR valve opening at all

as for you get what you pay for... Hard to tell from an ebay picture that the design is off by 2mm in one small section.. Or at least from my uncalibrated eye.. Others may have better luck.

Price is not good factor when deciding on quality. Lots of high priced junk out there.. the aftermarket is full of examples..

With that said, if anyone is looking for a $189 dollar billet PAIR valve block off plate. Let me know... I can arraign it,, Guaranteed the best out there,, Heck just look at the price

Last edited by E.Marquez; 01-17-2009 at 09:23 AM.
Old 01-17-2009, 09:40 AM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
Or you make them yourself from leftover material at no cost... And since everything I make fits (in the end) they are a whole lot better...
Old 01-17-2009, 09:54 AM
Administrator
MotoGP

Originally Posted by Tweety
Or you make them yourself from leftover material at no cost... And since everything I make fits (in the end) they are a whole lot better...
Yes That is always a better solution. I was lazy that day, the guy traded me these parts for something I had for auction ... so it was a brainless deal and as pointed out,, I got what I paid for.....

If I had some 3mm AL in the materials pile I would have just cut some plates...

sigh..........should have just made some
Old 01-17-2009, 10:51 AM
SuperBike

trinc is on a distinguished road
the ones i got on ebay fit just fine, you'll note the softer radius at point A vs. point B. you do need to install them correctly...

tim
Old 01-17-2009, 11:07 AM
Administrator
MotoGP

Originally Posted by trinc
the ones i got on ebay fit just fine, you'll note the softer radius at point A vs. point B. you do need to install them correctly...

tim
ya I thought of that.

Installed "wrong" they really did not fit. Installed "right" they had a 1~2 mm interference with that tab.

Manufacturing differences in the unit sold or the mass production valve cover I would guess.
It really was a 30 second fix,, It was just enough to get in the way.
Old 01-17-2009, 12:21 PM
SuperBike

killer5280 is on a distinguished road
I just plugged the stock items with epoxy and called it a day. Doesn't look neato, but I don't care.