Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

Eastern Beaver

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2011, 11:23 PM
Squid

SloBlue is on a distinguished road
Eastern Beaver

I have seen Eastern Beaver referenced here a lot as a source for the plugs and wiring needed to do a decent, clean, long-term swap with a Mosfet r/r. I purchased an r/r on Ebay and needed the plugs, so I checked Eastern Beaver's website for what I needed. Yes, he has it, but here is the rest of the story. Jim Davis, the owner doesn't want to deal with small orders, under $20.00. He states this on his website. I selected the plugs I need and added them to "my cart". The plugs I selected were $19.95 + SH. I then went to check out and my item was in the cart, $19.95 + $997.50 SH = $1017.45 to be charged to my Paypal. Ha ha, Mr. Davis, that's hysterical. Aren't you a comedian! Adding something else to the cart lowered the SH to eight something, but I'm still not amused.

So, I found an alternative.

Contact Jason at Jasonmotoelectrix on E-bay or hamilton2008@wildblue.net e-mail. Jason is VERY responsive on e-mail and sells a universal r/r kit on E-bay with a Shindengen FH012AA r/r +wiring and instructions for $120. (I found this when someone else posted here) I contacted Jason and explained I already had an r/r, I just needed the wiring and plugs. No problem! We made arrangements and my plugs will ship out on Monday. Way to go Jason!
Old 04-30-2011, 11:56 PM
MotoGP

7moore7 is on a distinguished road
Good find
Old 05-01-2011, 01:06 AM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by SloBlue
I have seen Eastern Beaver referenced here a lot as a source for the plugs and wiring needed to do a decent, clean, long-term swap with a Mosfet r/r. I purchased an r/r on Ebay and needed the plugs, so I checked Eastern Beaver's website for what I needed. Yes, he has it, but here is the rest of the story. Jim Davis, the owner doesn't want to deal with small orders, under $20.00. He states this on his website. I selected the plugs I need and added them to "my cart". The plugs I selected were $19.95 + SH. I then went to check out and my item was in the cart, $19.95 + $997.50 SH = $1017.45 to be charged to my Paypal. Ha ha, Mr. Davis, that's hysterical. Aren't you a comedian! Adding something else to the cart lowered the SH to eight something, but I'm still not amused.

So, I found an alternative.

Contact Jason at Jasonmotoelectrix on E-bay or hamilton2008@wildblue.net e-mail. Jason is VERY responsive on e-mail and sells a universal r/r kit on E-bay with a Shindengen FH012AA r/r +wiring and instructions for $120. (I found this when someone else posted here) I contacted Jason and explained I already had an r/r, I just needed the wiring and plugs. No problem! We made arrangements and my plugs will ship out on Monday. Way to go Jason!
Well, I guess if you did read the statement on his website that he didn't want to deal with orders under $20, you also read his explanation to why?

He's not US based, shipping a sub $20 order to anywhere except locally for him means he's taking a loss... The shipping cost and the shipping material is eating up his profit... At $20, he's basically breaking even... I solved it by ordering 5 sets, and then selling it to other here in Sweden that also wanted to do the same swap... Profitable for everybody involved...

I think that it's fair for him to say that he don't want to operate on a loss, don't you? I guess you would gladly go to work for free?

Good for you that you find another source, but try not to make it out like Jim Davies slighted you, instead give the whole story... Ie you felt it was unfair that he didn't sell you stuff at a loss... Because that's what happened if you felt strongly enough to write a "bad review", right?
Old 05-01-2011, 02:46 AM
Administrator
MotoGP

E.Marquez is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Tweety
Well, I guess if you did read the statement on his website that he didn't want to deal with orders under $20, you also read his explanation to why?

He's not US based, shipping a sub $20 order to anywhere except locally for him means he's taking a loss... The shipping cost and the shipping material is eating up his profit... At $20, he's basically breaking even... I solved it by ordering 5 sets, and then selling it to other here in Sweden that also wanted to do the same swap... Profitable for everybody involved...

I think that it's fair for him to say that he don't want to operate on a loss, don't you? I guess you would gladly go to work for free?

Good for you that you find another source, but try not to make it out like Jim Davies slighted you, instead give the whole story... Ie you felt it was unfair that he didn't sell you stuff at a loss... Because that's what happened if you felt strongly enough to write a "bad review", right?

What he said...

This thread is more in support of what a straight shooter Jim Davies is as well as a testament to how some can be petty, short sighted spinning an honest and fair business practice into something that appears underhanded.

Yaaa, for another source ...... Still Eastern Beaver is a reliable, honest and knowledgeable supplier of electrical Japanese plugs, connectors and parts.
Old 05-01-2011, 09:26 AM
Squid

I don't think you guys are being fair to me, actually.

Reread my post. I stated that Jim doesn't want to deal with orders under $20. I also acknowledged that this was stated on the Eastern Beaver website. Eastern Beaver is not unclear about this. The sight states that orders under $20 will have "high" shipping and handling. That's ok, but $1000 shipping for a $20 order? I don't think that's funny. Would $20 or $30 shipping and handling allow Eastern Beaver not to lose money?

I was not trying to savage Eastern Beaver. I just think that as consumers of the product that Eastern Beaver sells, we should be aware of the fact that an order 5 cents under $20 will get this response from the Eastern Beaver website. I know I could add another 75 cent connector to my cart and the SH would drop - as I also stated in my post. I took the $1000 SH to be an attempt at humor. I just don't think it's funny.

I also wanted to put out the fact that there is another source for the plugs here in the USA.
Old 05-01-2011, 10:11 AM
SuperSport

jay956 is on a distinguished road
as someone who used to do a bit of online commerce, its a huge hassle to ship overseas. i would dred seeing a foreign address on an order.
Old 05-01-2011, 10:19 AM
Squid

When I was looking at the Eastern Beaver source for the Furukawa plugs needed for installation of a Mosfet r/r, I called my wife over and showed her what the shipping and handling came to on the site. This morning, I was talking to my wife and told her some of you were unhappy with my post about Eastern Beaver. My son came past and asked her what we were talking about. I overheard my wife answer that I had called out someone on the forum for being a "shyster". I was surprised she used that word. I did not mean to imply anything of the sort about Jim Davis or Eastern Beaver. I don't think Eastern Beaver is dishonest, disreputable or anything else. If that's the way I came across, I apologize. I merely take the $1000 SH issue as bad humor. I understand that Eastern Beaver is in Japan and shipping costs are high. I admire the creativity needed to come up with an internet business model such as Eastern Beaver. For what it's worth, when I sell something on E-bay, I block sales to anywhere outside the USA. It's just more trouble than I want to deal with.

Mostly, I want to get Jasonmotoelectrix on E-bay out there because I liked his responsiveness and he has a product that would be in demand with Super Hawk owners. The entire install kit from Jason is $30 + $5 SH and includes wiring, plugs, an in-line fuse and instructions for a FH012 r/r. If I had been aware of Jasonmotoelectix before I purchased an r/r used from another E-bay seller, I would have gotten the whole kit from Jason which also includes a brand new Shindengen r/r (FH012AA) for $120.
Old 05-03-2011, 04:15 AM
SuperBike

Erik S. is on a distinguished road
My suggestion is to start a new thread about Jason, and give him positive reviews after you have received his product and installed it.

The way your original post was written did given indication that you were slighting Eastern Beaver. You titled the thread "Eastern Beaver", then went on to talk about a different seller.

Personally, I contacted Jim, told him that a connector had burnt up, and he proceeded to ship me a new one at no cost. So my dealings with the man have been very favorable. YMMV.

Thank you for your last post and clearing things up.

Make a post about Jason and his services with his company title in the Header.
Old 05-03-2011, 06:57 AM
Squid

b1m3x8 is on a distinguished road
OP, your post was fine and explained well. Good find.
Old 05-03-2011, 07:00 AM
SuperBike

Erik S. is on a distinguished road
So B1m3x8, what you're saying is that it's ok to bash someone when they did nothing wrong?

Another squid reveals himself.
Old 05-03-2011, 07:31 AM
Superstock

evines is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Erik S.
So B1m3x8, what you're saying is that it's ok to bash someone when they did nothing wrong?

Actually I agree with B1m3x8. When I read the OP, I took it as "hey, I found another supplier of mosfet R/R's, wires, and connectors, and had a good experience dealing with him." He clearly stated the facts about Eastern Beaver (as does Eastern Beaver on their website).

I took the Eastern Beaver comments as lighthearted, and I'm sure most others did too. I guess you could have titled it something else, but whatever. You generally only hear from the people you offend anyway.
Old 05-03-2011, 08:18 AM
Squid

b1m3x8 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Erik S.

Erik, who are you to call anyone a squid? Post count is better then riding skill, right? Yea, that's a new one.

First off, he never bashed EB he was just pointing out it was a bit ridiculous to put 1000 dollars for shipping. He could at least put a high but actual shipping price on the items if he wanted to ship globally.

Some of the guys on here that are fans of EB took it overboard.
Old 05-03-2011, 08:34 AM
SuperSport
SuperSport

geekonamotorcycle is on a distinguished road
I had the same problem with the site I had to go through the process a few times until it got the shipping amount right. The plugs came in perfectly took over a week whcih I understand. If you are wondering what you need this is it afaik. I will find out when I put it together.

This is what you need and the Cost

Also I am going to be the uncle of a baby girl!
Old 05-03-2011, 08:50 AM
MotoGP

Geek, I'm pretty sure you spent an extra $3.29 + tax
Old 05-03-2011, 08:53 AM
SuperSport
SuperSport

Ididnt even notice. Is that what tax in that part of Japan is like I wonder?
Old 05-03-2011, 08:59 AM
MotoGP

I don't think you needed that male plug... I could be wrong, but can't think of where you'd put it
Old 05-03-2011, 09:02 AM
SuperSport
SuperSport

To connect to the female plug on the wiring harness Im gonna seal it up so tweety doesnt yell at me lol.
Old 05-03-2011, 09:23 AM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by geekonamotorcycle
To connect to the female plug on the wiring harness Im gonna seal it up so tweety doesnt yell at me lol.
Well... Sorry, you fail... However I prefer not to yell...

I would never ever use a connector like that, and not on the stock aged one... I'd cut the wire, solder and stick shrinktube on it instead... But that's just me...
Old 07-18-2011, 11:47 AM
Back Marker
Back Marker

superdutyd is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by SloBlue
I don't think you guys are being fair to me, actually.

Reread my post. I stated that Jim doesn't want to deal with orders under $20. I also acknowledged that this was stated on the Eastern Beaver website. Eastern Beaver is not unclear about this. The sight states that orders under $20 will have "high" shipping and handling. That's ok, but $1000 shipping for a $20 order? I don't think that's funny. Would $20 or $30 shipping and handling allow Eastern Beaver not to lose money?

I was not trying to savage Eastern Beaver. I just think that as consumers of the product that Eastern Beaver sells, we should be aware of the fact that an order 5 cents under $20 will get this response from the Eastern Beaver website. I know I could add another 75 cent connector to my cart and the SH would drop - as I also stated in my post. I took the $1000 SH to be an attempt at humor. I just don't think it's funny.

I also wanted to put out the fact that there is another source for the plugs here in the USA.

I don't think you posted anything wrong. I too didn't like the wierd shipping practice for orders under $20. Why not just charge more shipping? I did order them and some shrink tubing to get over $20, but they will probably not arrive here before the weekend, so i looked for another backup source when i found this:
FURUKAWA CONNECTORS for SHINDENGEN FH012 FH011 FH010 | eBay
Same guy you were talking about. The price is cheaper and its in the US and are the same connectors. I will compare them with the ones from eastern beaver when they arrive.

Remember everyone, this site is for looking out for fellow Superhawk owners, which is what SloBlue was doing.
Old 07-20-2011, 12:14 PM
RIPI
Squid

RIPI is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by E.Marquez

What he said...

This thread is more in support of what a straight shooter Jim Davies is as well as a testament to how some can be petty, short sighted spinning an honest and fair business practice into something that appears underhanded.

Yaaa, for another source ...... Still Eastern Beaver is a reliable, honest and knowledgeable supplier of electrical Japanese plugs, connectors and parts.
+1 for Eastern Beaver, excellent pricing on a really nice selection of useful and hard to find stuff!
Old 07-22-2011, 04:21 PM
Squid

jds03 is on a distinguished road
I purchased a headlight relay and some misc connectors from Eastern Beaver. Reasonably priced, nice quality, good communications and quick shipping from Japan.