Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

Tank Range

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2011, 04:01 PM
Squid

majordomo490 is on a distinguished road
Tank Range

Maybe I missed this in my search but was just wondering what is the max range you guys have got out of a tank of gas U.S and Euro size? Under normal conditions i.e. NOT trying to be economical.
Here's mine.

Range: 135.1 miles. Refill: 3.531 US gallons

Had about .75 gal remaining so maybe could have gone 150 but not sure if the shawk can use the entire tank and didn't want to find out the hard way!
Old 04-19-2011, 04:29 PM
SuperSport
SuperSport

geekonamotorcycle is on a distinguished road
I have never ridden her dry but my light has come on between 95-111 miles.
Old 04-19-2011, 05:32 PM
Squid

zwoehr is on a distinguished road
poor

I usually get around 110 miles per tank. I've run out of gas completely twice once at 111 miles and once at 127. Then I decided to replace the fuel sender and haven't run out since I also carry an MSR fuel bottle just in case. I think it's good for around 10 extra miles
Old 04-19-2011, 05:35 PM
SuperSport
SuperSport

geekonamotorcycle is on a distinguished road
Where do you store your bottle?
Old 04-19-2011, 06:30 PM
Squid

mortbike is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by zwoehr
I usually get around 110 miles per tank. I've run out of gas completely twice once at 111 miles and once at 127. Then I decided to replace the fuel sender and haven't run out since I also carry an MSR fuel bottle just in case. I think it's good for around 10 extra miles
What is an MSR fuel bottle? Mort
Old 04-19-2011, 06:32 PM
SuperBike

uchi is on a distinguished road
portable fuel bottle, looks like a metal water bottle but takes fuel and is apparantly damn near indestructible. im buying one this year and ill keep it in a tank bag or back pack depending what im riding with. likely tank bag
Old 04-19-2011, 06:51 PM
MotoGP

7moore7 is on a distinguished road
MSR makes them to hold fuel for camping stoves... awesome product. I use them for watter bottles too (just don't confuse the two!)

MSR Fuel Bottle with CRP Cap - 30 fl. oz. at REI.com
Old 04-19-2011, 10:08 PM
Banned
MotoGP

8541Hawk will become famous soon enough
Range is directly related to the right wrist..... I've hit the RLOD at between 65-70 miles before....
Old 04-19-2011, 11:13 PM
MotoGP

VTRsurfer is on a distinguished road
Stock, mine would go 120+ before the low fuel indicator would start blinking. But since going with slip-ons and tweeking my carbs, I get 110 miles at best.
Old 04-20-2011, 04:34 AM
SuperBike

Originally Posted by 8541Hawk
Range is directly related to the right wrist..... I've hit the RLOD at between 65-70 miles before....
haha yeah ive gotten **** poor milage a few times. there have been days where ive filled up 4 - 5 times and other where its once or twice. but the 4-5 times have been really good days. hell at the track ill burn through a few tank fulls in no time.

i think the furthest ive gone so far last year before reserve light was just shy of 95 miles and that was with some playing around aswell. i usually fill up well before it starts to blink though. before we pulled a bunch of fuel out of the carbs i was getting about 25 miles less before rlod would come on. the tune makes a big big difference
Old 04-20-2011, 05:31 AM
Superstock

evines is on a distinguished road
I've never seen my light come on, but I'm not sure it works.

I can commute round trip 3 times before filling up. My commute is mostly highway (stop-and-go depending on traffic). Odometer shows 115 miles at fill up, but it's actually about 107 miles. Filling it up takes 2.9 - 3.3 US gallons (32-37 mpg).

Best mpg I ever had was right at 40 mpg for a tank while interstate cruising at about 70 mph.
Old 04-20-2011, 06:06 AM
SuperSport

98VTRrider is on a distinguished road
I can usually make 110-120 before the light comes on no problems, and that's not taking it easy (don't know what taking it easy means)

One time I hadn't plugged the sender in all the way, I got 155 miles and started sputtering, luckily I had just passed a gas station going up hill so I was able to turn around and drift back to the pump!

Originally Posted by uchi
. i usually fill up well before it starts to blink though.
Uchi, does the light actually blink? I've only seen mine come on solid, does it start blinking when it gets dangerously low?
Old 04-20-2011, 06:40 AM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by 98VTRrider
I can usually make 110-120 before the light comes on no problems, and that's not taking it easy (don't know what taking it easy means)

One time I hadn't plugged the sender in all the way, I got 155 miles and started sputtering, luckily I had just passed a gas station going up hill so I was able to turn around and drift back to the pump!

Uchi, does the light actually blink? I've only seen mine come on solid, does it start blinking when it gets dangerously low?
Different behaviour on the two genereations of gauges... On the older with a red LED, the light just comes on when it's time to look for a filling station... No more than that...

On the never type the last bar on the LCD readout starts blinking when you are on reserve, and that's the same as the RLOD, iw find a filling station pronto...
Old 04-20-2011, 06:44 AM
SuperBike

autoteach is on a distinguished road
Most fillups in one day: 10, miles:1008

on average:110miles/tank

goal for this summer:135/tank, mods to come.
Old 04-20-2011, 07:09 AM
Superstock

Mattaua is on a distinguished road
I get pretty much an average of everything above (depending on the right wrist). Yesterday my RLOD came on at 103 miles, but I've gone as far as 120 without the light coming on.

And the MSR fuel bottles come in different sizes you can get a wee one, a not-so-wee one, or a freekin huge one.

MSR Fuel Bottle with CRP Cap - 30 fl. oz.
Old 04-20-2011, 07:24 AM
Back Marker

lukenukem47 is on a distinguished road
Storage area for bottle

My sargent seat has a area under it to store a round container. I'm guessing it's a for tools. The seat came with a tube with two rubber ends that are removable. I'm going to toss it and add a fuel storage container in that area. One thing I do is alway reset my trip at the pump. This way when I get around 100 or so I fuel up. That method helps when I am headed out to school and I'm running late I can preplan the fuel stop and not depend on the RLOD.
Old 04-20-2011, 07:27 AM
Wrench Bender
Squid

mhaisten is on a distinguished road
I average 105 between RLOD's. I rode one tank freeway only about 90 mph (4700 rpm) and got 143 before RLOD.

My bike loves 4500 to 4700 rpm. It just seems happy there. Is this anyone else experience?
Old 04-20-2011, 09:55 AM
SuperBike

Old Yeller is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by autoteach
Most fillups in one day: 10, miles:1008

on average:110miles/tank

goal for this summer:135/tank, mods to come.
If you come up with a good gameplan, I'd like to know. I was thinking about handing mine to my tuner this year to improve fuel economy. I've gotten as low at 75 miles on a tank at the track to 110 on the street. I'm only getting low 30s, and I think it should be able to do better than that. I realize I'm tuned for power currently, but to be honest, these bikes have more than enough power for street riding, so I'm thinking about going the other way. especially with gas at $3.80 a gallon.
Old 04-20-2011, 10:00 AM
Squid

I've got the later LCD guage, it gets to the last solid bar at about 100 miles and starts flashing red about 115. I've rode 20 miles on the flashing red and still had some gas in the tank.
I'm not sure if it is even possible to get the stated tank capacity (4.23g) in there what with the angle of the sidestand. I do a lot of boonie and mountain pass riding so I usually like to gas up at no more than 110 miles out.
The MSR in the Sergent seat sounds like a great idea.
Old 04-20-2011, 10:04 AM
Squid

Originally Posted by Old Yeller
If you come up with a good gameplan, I'd like to know. I was thinking about handing mine to my tuner this year to improve fuel economy. I've gotten as low at 75 miles on a tank at the track to 110 on the street. I'm only getting low 30s, and I think it should be able to do better than that. I realize I'm tuned for power currently, but to be honest, these bikes have more than enough power for street riding, so I'm thinking about going the other way. especially with gas at $3.80 a gallon.
$3.80 I wish. It's $4.49 for premium here. Add 10 cents for credit sales.
....and that was on Saturday....seems to go up 10 cents a day.
Old 04-20-2011, 10:23 AM
Banned
MotoGP

Mine is in the low 30s also but summers coming so I get to lean it out just a little bit so it will go up a touch....

Other than that it works too good to change.
Old 04-20-2011, 10:28 AM
Back Marker

Furrybiker is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by majordomo490
Dont know you're born we pay twice that, about £1.40 per litre
Old 04-20-2011, 10:58 AM
Banned
MotoGP

Originally Posted by Furrybiker
Yeah you guys do have it rough, I would have to do something at those prices....
Old 04-20-2011, 12:27 PM
SuperBike

Old Yeller is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by majordomo490
If it helps any, my other vehicle is a dodge ram pickup. I HATE filling that up at ANY price!
Old 04-20-2011, 12:34 PM
Back Marker

ninjagoalie is on a distinguished road
I start to get the shakes anymore filling up my Yukon! I am going to have to start riding the Hawk everyday I think. I have been getting about 110 miles when my light comes on, but I usually only can get about 2.75 gallons to fill it almost full, and that is with the bike on the side stand. Does anyone know how much more can be put in if the bike is fully upright?
Old 04-20-2011, 01:36 PM
MotoGP

VTRsurfer is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by ninjagoalie
I start to get the shakes anymore filling up my Yukon! I am going to have to start riding the Hawk everyday I think. I have been getting about 110 miles when my light comes on, but I usually only can get about 2.75 gallons to fill it almost full, and that is with the bike on the side stand. Does anyone know how much more can be put in if the bike is fully upright?
I've seen guys at the gas station fill up while sitting on their bike. But with the venting system our bikes have, if you fill it too high, some have had a temporary problem with the bike stalling when fuel gets in the vent hose. And be aware that when the weather heats up, fuel expands quite a bit after it gets into your tank.

2 of my previous bikes had center stands, and I always filled them while on the center stand.

As for 4 wheel fill-ups, I filled my Tacoma with Regular last week when the gauge read just under 1/8 tank, and it cost me $68. I feel for you with a Yukon.

Last edited by VTRsurfer; 04-20-2011 at 01:40 PM.
Old 04-20-2011, 02:21 PM
Back Marker

ninjagoalie is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by VTRsurfer
I've seen guys at the gas station fill up while sitting on their bike. But with the venting system our bikes have, if you fill it too high, some have had a temporary problem with the bike stalling when fuel gets in the vent hose. And be aware that when the weather heats up, fuel expands quite a bit after it gets into your tank.

2 of my previous bikes had center stands, and I always filled them while on the center stand.

As for 4 wheel fill-ups, I filled my Tacoma with Regular last week when the gauge read just under 1/8 tank, and it cost me $68. I feel for you with a Yukon.
that's really good info, thanks. I have always figured that if a bike doesn't have a center stand, it was probably engineered to be filled up while secured by whatever stand device it was built with, so I never fill it while sitting on it. Plus I would probably get gas all over myself too as I am a klutz 90% of the time.

I wish I was driving a Tacoma right about now. Actually, more like a Prius.
Old 04-20-2011, 05:46 PM
SuperBike

tweety answered the question for you abou tthe reserve light

mhaisten my bike is happy wherever i tell it to be happy, if the music im listening to is loud and angry it loves living higher in the rev range
Old 04-20-2011, 06:37 PM
SuperBike

autoteach is on a distinguished road
Trust me, I will give the recipe up when I find it. First step is going to the stock filter. I know that this will make a change because I tried pulling the k and n out last year and throwing it in and the bike was angry rich everywhere. I also will be examining the flatspot that I have (2-1 exhaust issue) which can be fixed with some exhaust restriction (know this from some previous testing). Once this is all shored up, I am hoping to get up to the low to mid 40's.
Old 04-20-2011, 10:04 PM
Squid

Born and raised in England mate, mostly NW London like you (Wembley) so I know exactly wot you mean!!
Hows the North Circ & M25? Probably an even worse nightmare now eh?

Quick Reply: Tank Range