Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

Diagnostic

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2015, 07:51 PM
Squid

SifuDank is on a distinguished road
Diagnostic

Ok my bike is running funny. It starts and runs but it like bogs down intermittently. I am or was an auto mechanic and if I was gunna guess it almost feels like a clogged fuel filter. I would just take it to my local shop, but ... I'm on disability and money is crazy tight. Any input would be appreciated.
Old 02-13-2015, 10:35 PM
MotoGP

smokinjoe73 is on a distinguished road
Was it running fine then this happened? Whats the backround story. Usually it is when the bike was worked on the vacuum line is put on the wrong nipple on the petcock.

If thats not the case I would figure a fuel flow issue or even simpler a bad tank of gas. Dont ask the full story but mine acted like that when I put diesel in it on a long trip.

I help a guy broken down on the road with a similar problem and it was water in the fuel.

The easiest thing is to drain the fuel tank dry, draing the float bowls (carbs on bike), and refill with new premium gas.

I did all that roadside for this guy and the bike came back to life and ran fine.

If it doesnt work, you have only improved your situation drasticly. Do a search on here for the correct fuel line hookup if the bike has been touched recently or take a pic before you remove the tank. (its and easy mistake to make)
Old 02-14-2015, 09:48 PM
Squid

SifuDank is on a distinguished road
Thank you for you advise. The bike has not been worked on recently and was running fine. I only use Sunoco Ultra in my bike. How ever I will do as you have recommended cause it make sense to check the simply stuff first. I'll probably throw a fuel filter at it too. If that doesn't work ... then what? Thanks again.
Old 02-14-2015, 10:15 PM
MotoGP

The bike doesn't have a fuel filter stock. There is some threads on here on how to retro fit them
Old 02-15-2015, 04:03 PM
SuperSport

twist is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by smokinjoe73
The bike doesn't have a fuel filter stock. There is some threads on here on how to retro fit them
while there isn't a fuel filter in the fuel lines, there is a fine screen in the tank fitted to the petcock. Part #3. Maybe there is debris causing poor fuel delivery.
Attached Thumbnails Diagnostic-fuel-tank-2-.jpg  

Last edited by twist; 02-15-2015 at 04:12 PM.
Old 02-15-2015, 06:20 PM
SuperBike

xeris is on a distinguished road
Maybe the tank vent?
Old 02-16-2015, 08:04 AM
MotoGP

Yeah, after the first round of stuff, vapor lock is not uncommon. Is your tank very full? Open the tank and see if air rushes in or sides expand. That's vaporlock by overfilling or tank vent.