Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

Crimp tool

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2013, 10:05 AM
SuperBike

xeris is on a distinguished road
Crimp tool

After searching the net for all the components to assemble my own harness upgrades, and realizing how much I would spend and how much extra I would have left over, I decided to go with a finished product for the common electrical upgrades. Also I decided that some of the pre-made harnesses would still need to be customized to suit my OCD.
This lead me to searching for a crimp tool that would do all the tasks I expected to need done. I finally decided on this. Found the best price here
Motorcycle Terminals, Connectors, and Wiring Accessories

Extremely pleased with with the the crimps it does and not too much of a learning curve to achieve good crimps. Trimming the ears that grip the insulation to match the wire and insulation thickness was a big part of learning how to. Very high quality Tool. Made in Sweden.
Here are a couple of practice crimps.

You can see how the top terminal ears that grip the insulation are a bit short. In all not quite factory, but close enough (for me).
Here is a Y harness that I made for joining together my GSX-R mirrors and future flush mounts. It would be a lot more difficult to do without the crimp tool.

I also bought some terminal extraction tools to help do all the mods to the stock and pre-made harnesses. Jewelers screw drives and flattened paper clips don't work nearly as well.
Old 10-18-2013, 10:12 AM
Squid

curlcd is on a distinguished road
funny you posted this, as I just installed new blinkers last night and realized how crappy off the shelf connectors are. Have you tried this with the pin type connectors like the deutsch or amphenol ones?
Old 10-18-2013, 10:23 AM
SuperBike

xeris is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by curlcd
funny you posted this, as I just installed new blinkers last night and realized how crappy off the shelf connectors are. Have you tried this with the pin type connectors like the deutsch or amphenol ones?
Without going to the Pressmaster http://www.pressmaster.se/ web site, I think that the amphenol terminals take a different die set. Maybe you could make this die set work by how far you close the tool.
Open Barrel Crimp tools

Last edited by xeris; 10-18-2013 at 10:27 AM. Reason: addition