Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

Couple issues after installing APES

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2011, 07:47 PM
Squid

sevenchaos is on a distinguished road
Couple issues after installing APES

So i finished installing the APES. had started her up and she fired fine, went for a ride for a couple miles see how it ran. Stopped at quicktrip and then went back out to ride, well then for some reason the bike wasnt starting, i stopped tried again, still nothing, let her sit for a second and then a small backfire and she started up, got her home real quick, to see if it would do it again, i started it up once started fine, shut off and started again, then she didnt fire again. I also noticed when i tried starting the bike at QT, that i kind of heard a high pitch noise when trying to start, almost like fingernails on a chalk board, i wonder if i have the APES a little to tight. what do you guys think. oh and i did my first wheelie on this thing, 1st gear 3k rpms pulled strait up
Old 04-30-2011, 07:49 PM
Squid

just started again, she fired right up, but i still hear that high pitch noise when starting, its coming from the front of the engine think from APE is too tight?

Also when adjusting the APEs, do you have to take the whole bike apart again, or can you adjust with the bike together?

Last edited by sevenchaos; 04-30-2011 at 08:28 PM.
Old 04-30-2011, 08:34 PM
Superstock

bass4dude is on a distinguished road
Is the noise ONLY when starting, or is it constant? Because that does change the diagnostic a little bit.

If you think the CCTs are tight, then just reset them, IIRC the stator cover needs to come off and I think that's about it. You should be able to adjust the CCTS without pulling everything apart like you might have had to install them to do.

If it's only when starting, check the amp draw of your starter. If it's too high (I don't recall the stock amperage draw) then your starter may be on the way out.

AND, did you change anything else other than the CCTs? you want to eliminate the variables and that will lead you to the problem.
Old 04-30-2011, 08:37 PM
Squid

nope, its weird. it only did it on start up, almost to me sounds like something is too tight, like a rubbing metal sound that is making the noise. It didnt make the noise when i first started the bike, but after i rode for a bit, then went to start it up is when the noise happened.
Old 04-30-2011, 08:38 PM
Squid

by the way, hopefully i didnt do this wrong, but what i did, was i backed off the CCT just a small turn on the front and back ones, and then re-tightened them back up, and fired back up seemed to make the noise go away.
Old 04-30-2011, 08:41 PM
Back Marker

superh1998 is on a distinguished road
I am pretty sure they have to be adjusted with the engine running...at least that's what I did.
You install them initially with the bike off and set them...but then I think it's with the engine running after it has warmed up. I forgot the complete procedure, but it's on here somewhere.
Old 04-30-2011, 09:03 PM
Squid

well after i adjusted them out a little, i started bike up no noise, shut her off started up again, no noise, let temp get up to normal operation. took around the block to get some temp going, shut off started shut off started about 3 times no noise on start up, one time didnt start but i think i flooded the bike. i think all is good now.

another question, when you lock the nut in place, do you have to get it super tight or pretty snug. i got mine pretty locked in place but want to make sure. i also did put some lock tight on them so i dont think they are going anywhere
Old 04-30-2011, 09:08 PM
MotoGP

7moore7 is on a distinguished road
You probably had them adjusted too tight. What happens is that as the engine warms up, the metals expand, and all the tolerances get tighter. This makes the bike harder to start, and asking a 1k cc v-twin to turn over ain't easy in the first place. Be very careful adjusting them outward, but it seems that you have it figured out. If you go too far, though, as nykuryu would say, "crunch crunch crunch"
Old 04-30-2011, 09:13 PM
Squid

yeah thats what i was thinking, too tight causing restriction inside, and yeah i only back them out maybe at the most a little over a 1/4 of a turn and that seemed to do it. thats why i let the bike get hot again and see if the sound was still there.
Old 04-30-2011, 09:21 PM
Back Marker

nykuryu is on a distinguished road
lucky bastard. still putting my bike back together. hope mine works......good job tho. see you could do it.
Old 04-30-2011, 09:31 PM
Squid

yeah, i sat around today for a little bit and was like screw it, imma do it. got some tools and started taking bike apart. started around 4:30 -5 and finished at 830 but i also had to stop and run and grab some things i forgot.

I feel better about riding it, now i just get a little paranoid that i hope i installed them right, but i dont hear anything that sounds wrong so i think im okay. ill just have to keep a eye out on the CCT's.
Old 04-30-2011, 10:43 PM
MotoGP

7moore7 is on a distinguished road
Took me longer, so don't worry bout it at all (although I dropped a bolt in the case)... if nothing has happened at this point, nothing will unless you mess with them.

The way that some members adjust it is by the sound- with a warm motor, they slowly back the CCT out until they hear slight rattling (from a getting-loose chain), then turn them in 1/4 turn. I didn't trust myself to do this so set the tension with the valve covers off according to APE specs. But, hey, no noise, no breaking, you did it!
Old 05-02-2011, 08:13 PM
Squid

question real quick, that whine noise you hear on start up, which CCT would be causing the noise, front or back. I heard it again today kinda faint, backed off the front one a little. Didnt hear it again.
Old 05-03-2011, 12:41 AM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
How would we know? You are the one standing by the bike... ? Listen to it, and set the CCT's once it's fully warm... It doesn't get any more simple than that... You are just making it more complicated in your head than it really is...
Old 11-09-2011, 11:21 AM
Wild Man
Back Marker

Matt_Hawk is on a distinguished road
For the record, mine did the exact same thing-

The CCT's were too tight.
Just weakly hand tight it-and back off 1/2 turn if you're doing it cold.

Last edited by Matt_Hawk; 11-09-2011 at 11:25 AM.