Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

coolant leaking from the carb boot ???#

Old 04-15-2019, 10:56 AM
Squid

Rob Roberts is on a distinguished road
coolant leaking from the carb boot ???#

i have a 99 vtr 1000 firestorm / uk name for superhawk i have had a coolant leak was a from right hand rad replaced rad now it seems to be leaking from the carb boot ??? why would coolant be there is this a blown gasket i dont know what to do as im not a mechanic and there is not much on the internet about the bike any help advise much appreciated
Old 04-15-2019, 11:59 AM
MotoGP

E.Marquez is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Rob Roberts View Post
i have a 99 vtr 1000 firestorm / uk name for superhawk i have had a coolant leak was a from right hand rad replaced rad now it seems to be leaking from the carb boot ??? why would coolant be there is this a blown gasket i dont know what to do as im not a mechanic and there is not much on the internet about the bike any help advise much appreciated
I think what you will find is one of the carb coolant lines, fitting or fitting O rings is leaking.
For a "simple" test you could use a longer 8mm ID hose and connect the carb coolant supply and return ports together bypassing the carb lines, connections fittings and O rings. Wash the bike down to get rid of residual coolant and then start it to warm up, dry off, see if you still have a leak.
Assuming you dont, you have two choices, leave the newly installed and routed coolant "jumper" line, find and fix the leak,

Last edited by E.Marquez; 04-15-2019 at 12:05 PM.