Consequences of returning to stock exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2014, 10:53 AM
The Hypno-Toad
Superstock
Superstock

Kendrick is on a distinguished road
Consequences of returning to stock exhaust

So I want to return to factory exhaust. First of all I bought a house and now have neighbors to be nice to. Second the damn thing just won't run right with my Jardine high mounts. It is currently jetted to run with the jardines, but has a god awful carb backfire at 3k that won't go away. I want to quite it down anyway. How awful is it going to run jetted for the jardines (attempted), but with stock exhaust? Any ideas anyone?

Thanks for any input,
Kendrick
Old 05-28-2014, 11:25 AM
Amateur Hour, Every Hour
Squid

TboneNast is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Kendrick
So I want to return to factory exhaust. First of all I bought a house and now have neighbors to be nice to. Second the damn thing just won't run right with my Jardine high mounts. It is currently jetted to run with the jardines, but has a god awful carb backfire at 3k that won't go away. I want to quite it down anyway. How awful is it going to run jetted for the jardines (attempted), but with stock exhaust? Any ideas anyone?

Thanks for any input,
Kendrick
Hi Kendrick,

Just last weekend I returned to OEM exhaust and I like the results so far. Here's a few of my observations:

1. Make sure you get a new OEM Air Filter, the Sub Filters for diaphragm breathers, and the Airbox Seal!!

2. You may not need exhaust gaskets if the ones in the OEM are decent, but make sure they do seal properly.

3. Follow 8541Hawk's Carb setup (sticky in Knowledge Base section). I found jets were pretty cheap on BikeBandit.com

4. The Throttle Position Sensor mod may be more important than steps 1-3. Make sure you do this one.

5. Take time to play with the mixture screws. I found that mine work best a full turn back from the "idle drop" position.

The stock exhaust is hilariously quiet. Sounds like a sewing machine under a pillow. I love it. Can't say how simply bolting on the stockers will work with your current setup.... do you know the jet#'s you're running currently?

Last edited by TboneNast; 05-28-2014 at 11:28 AM.
Old 05-28-2014, 12:45 PM
The Hypno-Toad
Superstock
Superstock

Kendrick is on a distinguished road
Thanks for the input. So can I ride it at all before redoing the carbs? i.e. get it to a garage after changing the pipes, or is it so drastically different that it all needs to be done where it sits?
Old 05-28-2014, 12:59 PM
MotoGP

7moore7 is on a distinguished road
You'll be able to ride it. The difference isn't drastic enough to make it stop working.
Old 05-28-2014, 04:57 PM
gab
Squid

gab is on a distinguished road
Btw mine would carbs backfire because of the choke cable been stock open. It worth a look.
Old 05-28-2014, 07:51 PM
MotoGP

smokinjoe73 is on a distinguished road
Sounds like its running a bit lean anyway so going to stock might not require any jetting. Swap and see how it runs/rides.
Old 05-29-2014, 02:34 PM
SuperSport

jerryh is on a distinguished road
I went from yosh to stock (with bafflectomy) and could feel the difference at first but seems ok now. My Hawk is not a quick but i like the torque