Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

Chain Life?

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2009, 11:07 AM
MotoGP

VTRsurfer is on a distinguished road
Chain Life?

How many miles do you get out of your chain? All 3 of my previous bikes (78 CX500, 86 700 Nighthawk S, 83 BMW R100RS) were shaft drive. 150,000 miles combined with no chain worries.

My old canyon riding buddies from the 80's were replacing chains every 10,000 miles back then, on bikes with much less torque than a VTR. I know O-ring chains have much longer life, but how long? I have 25,000 on my 05 with the stock chain, and the adjustment is just outside the "new" range on the left swingarm. The rear sprocket looks good as well.

I use the torque our bikes have, that's why I bought a VTR, but I don't clutch up wheelies. Shaft drive sure was easy and clean, but I don't miss the added weight.
Old 02-12-2009, 11:14 AM
MotoGP

inderocker is an unknown quantity at this point
I got 15k out of my old chain before it started getting noisy (I replaced it with a D.I.D. X-Ring Gold chain which was noisy as hell out of the box.). It really depends on how you keep up on your chain maintenance,. I buy a lot of bikes that have clapped out chain at less that 10k miles some less than 5k.
Old 02-12-2009, 11:57 AM
MotoGP

I lube it about every 500 miles, but I rarely clean it other than wiping it with an old sock before lubing. Cleaning seems too messy and a pain in the ***, but maybe I'll do it more often now that I'm retired.
Old 02-12-2009, 12:05 PM
SuperSport

PUSHrod is on a distinguished road
Teflon spray lube and wipe with a clean rag when I think about it, 28K mi and very little wear. The beauty of teflon is that, unlike chain wax etc, road dirt and grime won't stick to it. No grit, ergo, little chain wear.

I also use it to clean the switch internals, lube the cables, clean and lube the clutch push rod etc.
Old 02-12-2009, 12:36 PM
Squid

Starbucks Fueled is on a distinguished road
Teflon chain lube? I don't get out to the local bike shop much, and I always used synthetic gear lube on my chains.

Can you tell me more about this teflon chain lube please?
Old 02-12-2009, 02:01 PM
On a Jonda, or a Hondo...
Squid

txrb182sc is on a distinguished road
Lowe's home improvement store, multi-use teflon lube is what I use, safe for O-ring chains. And it even has a little graphic of a motorcycle there on the side of the bottle.
Old 02-12-2009, 02:27 PM
RK1
MotoGP

RK1 is on a distinguished road
Until recently I'd been doing the chain per Honda's recommendation- brushing/flooding with kero or diesel at the rear sprocket, letting it drip into a pan, wiping with a clean shop rag, then painting it with gear oil and wiping again. Works fine but the gear oil picks up a lot of dirt and grit.

Lately I've been flooding the chain with Walmart Super Tech version of WD-40 and wiping it every 200 miles or so. Chain seems to stay cleaner this way.

I've got about 14k miles on the original chain and it's in excellent shape. I'd be surprised if it didn't last for 30k.
Old 02-12-2009, 02:32 PM
Squid

Starbucks Fueled is on a distinguished road
Thanks for the info. I going to try this stuff myself.
Old 02-12-2009, 03:11 PM
MotoGP

I've used 3 different types of chain lube, based on recommendations of guys who work in mc shops. Each one seems to have his own favorite. The last one I used slings all over the wheel and tire the first time I ride after a lube. So I'm going back to a lube with teflon...it leaves a white film, but it doesn't sling off.
Old 02-15-2009, 05:33 AM
Administrator
World Champion

Hawkrider will become famous soon enoughHawkrider will become famous soon enough
With proper maintenance the chain will last a very long time. BUT, it's not the chain that is the limiting factor. It's the front sprocket. That sprocket sees a tooth 3 times more than any tooth on the rear sprocket. So, if you are starting to show wear (sharktoothing) on the rear then you damned well better pull that countersprocket cover off and check it there. And ALWAYS replace chain and sprockets as a set!
Old 02-15-2009, 07:50 PM
Superstock

steve.g is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Hawkrider
With proper maintenance the chain will last a very long time. BUT, it's not the chain that is the limiting factor. It's the front sprocket. That sprocket sees a tooth 3 times more than any tooth on the rear sprocket. So, if you are starting to show wear (sharktoothing) on the rear then you damned well better pull that countersprocket cover off and check it there. And ALWAYS replace chain and sprockets as a set!
+1.... Great advice. as for lube,I love chain wax.Apply when chain is warm and it sets on the chain,never flies off....good stuff.
Old 03-16-2009, 02:28 PM
mildly retarded
SuperBike

j shizzy wizzy is on a distinguished road
I just bought some of that DuPont Teflon multi-purpose spray today. says on the can safe for o-rings and mentions motorcycles! can't wait to give it a shot. I plan on cleaning the chain with kerosene too.
Old 03-16-2009, 02:30 PM
mildly retarded
SuperBike

Originally Posted by PUSHrod
Teflon spray lube and wipe with a clean rag when I think about it, 28K mi and very little wear. The beauty of teflon is that, unlike chain wax etc, road dirt and grime won't stick to it. No grit, ergo, little chain wear.

I also use it to clean the switch internals, lube the cables, clean and lube the clutch push rod etc.

when you clean the switch internals, do you mean just spray the gaps to the sides of them? or do you fully disassemble the switches first?
Old 03-16-2009, 02:36 PM
SuperBike

L8RGYZ is an unknown quantity at this point
I got 48,000 mile on the OE DID chain. Replaced it with another DID last fall. After 3,000 miles it still hasn't needed to be re-adjusted. I'm lovin' me some DID.
Old 03-16-2009, 02:43 PM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by L8RGYZ
I got 48,000 mile on the OE DID chain. Replaced it with another DID last fall. After 3,000 miles it still hasn't needed to be re-adjusted. I'm lovin' me some DID.
That's good news.
Old 03-17-2009, 08:13 AM
Superstock

rbrais is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by RK1
Until recently I'd been doing the chain per Honda's recommendation- brushing/flooding with kero or diesel at the rear sprocket, letting it drip into a pan, wiping with a clean shop rag, then painting it with gear oil and wiping again. Works fine but the gear oil picks up a lot of dirt and grit.

Lately I've been flooding the chain with Walmart Super Tech version of WD-40 and wiping it every 200 miles or so. Chain seems to stay cleaner this way.

I've got about 14k miles on the original chain and it's in excellent shape. I'd be surprised if it didn't last for 30k.
WD-40 is very bad for orings. Kills the rubber.
Old 03-17-2009, 08:15 AM
Superstock

20,000 miles and still in the green on the adjuster. Pretty sure the front sprocket is good too, but I will check it when I pull it out of storage.
Old 03-17-2009, 09:10 AM
mildly retarded
SuperBike

I cleaned the chain with kerosene and used that teflon spray. seems to works great. I couldn't believe the nastiness that was on my chain! I was neglecting it for the last 1400 miles! never again!
Old 03-17-2009, 09:54 AM
Squid

Crawdaddy is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by RK1
Until recently Lately I've been flooding the chain with Walmart Super Tech version of WD-40 and wiping it every 200 miles or so. Chain seems to stay cleaner this way.

A few years ago, we had some guys from RK Chains show up as guest speakers at my local San Diego Road Riding club ( http://www.redhotriders.com ) .....the inevitable question came up......what do you guys recommend as a lube?......their reply was WD40......the rest is all snake oil.....this advice was coming from Chain Mfg reps.......so WD40 is all I ever use......I got about 25K out of my stock chain.......currently have ~39K on the bike and the chain is at the stretch limit.....so I'm going to try alternate gearing, 15/43 as opposed to 16/41, and throw on a new chain (and new Cush plugs in the hub) as soon as I smoke the rear tire currently on the bike.......which shouldn't take too much longer
Old 03-17-2009, 01:04 PM
geezer
SuperSport
SuperSport

oahu hawk is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Crawdaddy
I'm going to try alternate gearing, 15/43 as opposed to 16/41
I'm curious as to why 15/43 is so popular, I'm at 15/41 now and am thinking 15/42 when I replace the chain...
Old 03-17-2009, 07:23 PM
Back Marker

98ILVTR is on a distinguished road
I am replacing my chain this weekend, along with front and rear sprockets. I went with the 530 DID X-Ring Chain, and the stock 15 and stock 41 tooth sprockets. I am close to 19,000 miles on the stock chain; and its been taken care of the whole time. Its just getting a bit noisy, and the sprockets need to be replaced anyways!
Old 03-17-2009, 07:59 PM
geezer
SuperSport
SuperSport

oahu hawk is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by 98ILVTR
I am replacing my chain this weekend, along with front and rear sprockets. I went with the 530 DID X-Ring Chain, and the stock 15 and stock 41 tooth sprockets. I am close to 19,000 miles on the stock chain; and its been taken care of the whole time. Its just getting a bit noisy, and the sprockets need to be replaced anyways!
I believe the stock front is a 16...
Old 03-18-2009, 06:22 AM
Back Marker

98ILVTR is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by oahu hawk
I believe the stock front is a 16...
Doh, I hit the wrong number in the dark...
Old 03-18-2009, 10:19 AM
SuperBike

Wicky is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by rbrais
WD-40 is very bad for orings. Kills the rubber.

http://www.wd40.com/faqs/

What surfaces or materials are OK to use WD-40 on?
WD-40 can be used on just about everything. It is safe for metal, rubber, wood and plastic. WD-40 can be applied to painted metal surfaces without harming the paint. Polycarbonate and clear polystyrene plastic are among the few surfaces on which to avoid using a petroleum-based product like WD-40.
Old 03-18-2009, 12:47 PM
Superstock

Sure it tells you that you can use it on all those things, but it's not good for rubber and plastic. My friends used to coat their MX bikes with WD-40 to make them shine. But when you washed it off after the race, the plastic was all dull. They wondered why my bike stayed looking like new. Simple; I used Armor All.

Solvents are not very good for rubber and plastic. Solvents break down organics. Rubber and plastics are organics. Simple chemistry. Something that breaks down and removes glue, a compound with properties similar to rubber probably is not very good for rubber.
Old 03-19-2009, 01:39 AM
Back Marker

Fozzy Bear is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Wicky

http://www.wd40.com/faqs/

What surfaces or materials are OK to use WD-40 on?
WD-40 can be used on just about everything. It is safe for metal, rubber, wood and plastic. WD-40 can be applied to painted metal surfaces without harming the paint. Polycarbonate and clear polystyrene plastic are among the few surfaces on which to avoid using a petroleum-based product like WD-40.
Dead right. I use it to clean the chain and then apply Maxim chain wax (dunno if you guys have it over there)
I have used WD-40 to clean baked on grasshopper guts from the fairing with no ill effects. Is great for cleaning crud from the back wheel. Bloody magic stuff. Whoever says its hurts rubber is trying to sell you something else