Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

clutch problem?

Old 04-07-2006, 04:14 AM
Squid

winder
clutch problem?

Hi!
A friend just bought a '98 SH. looks like a nice bike. The bike is very clean and well maintained. Has a few nice mods (Micron slip-ons, well tuned jet-kit, Sharkskinz one piece upper fairing.
The bike goes and rides just fine, 'cept what you try to launch it quickly, it jumps and bucks like the clutch is grabbing and then letting go. If you persist in trying to launch it, it keeps bucking. If you pull in the leaver and stop, it's fine.
It shifts up and down smoothly. Makes no odd noises.
The previous owned ssays he was told it has a "gravity clutch" and this is normal. I've never heard of that before.
Any ideas?
thanks,
winder
Old 04-07-2006, 06:21 AM
Squid

winder
Re: clutch problem?

i don't know why the happy face? this is not a "funny". (it is my first post on this forum.)
thanks,
w
Old 04-07-2006, 06:31 AM
SuperSport

AZZKIKER is an unknown quantity at this point
It is normal for a hydraulic clutch like the SH to do that under hard acceleration. If the clutch fluid is black, he might wanna change it, it might make a difference. But if it pretty bad, he can invest in stiffer springs.
Old 04-07-2006, 01:48 PM
Back Marker

nfbzike

Maybe fluid would make a difference, mine was like super dark like chocolate so i changed it this morning and was testing to see if it made a difference, needless to say, it made a bit of a difference giving me a better clutch feel then what it used to do. It used to kinda hit all at once. like it would just lock right up. Now its smoother. but it also got me a hefty ticket for a bit of an eccentric wheel lifting launch.
Old 04-07-2006, 02:06 PM
SuperSport

AZZKIKER is an unknown quantity at this point
LOL. Why blame the clutch for your ticket??? It is not the clutch but your brains that got you the ticket.
Old 04-07-2006, 02:26 PM
Back Marker

nfbzike

yah i know, Just funny that the first time i do anything remotely wild on the bike i get a nice ticket. apparently 70 in a 45 falls into the "ludacris speed" category in my town. maybe i should of told him i was on my way to plad and he would of just forgotten about the ticket.
Old 04-07-2006, 03:06 PM
SuperBike

JamieDaugherty is an unknown quantity at this point
I launch mine hard sometimes and never has it ever bucked or kicked. Mine's got 12,000 miles and the original clutch/springs. I've heard of other's having this problem (I think MO mentioned this when they drag tested one in 97) but I'm not sure how widespread it is.

Jamie Daugherty
http://members.iquest.net/~daugherj
Old 04-07-2006, 06:22 PM
SuperSport

jschmidt
That sounds like a sign of a burnt clutch. I'd bet if you disassembled it, you'd find the plates to be burnt and scored.

This is even more likely in light of the hoser explanation from the seller.
Old 04-09-2006, 03:16 PM
SuperSport

shayne is on a distinguished road

Or perhaps the clutch basket is a bit worn. This will cause a shuddering clutch too.
Old 04-09-2006, 09:38 PM
Squid

winder

thanks for all the replies.
the fluid looks good; not too dark. may have an air pocket. i'l bleed it out first. see if i get any air.
worn clutch basket sounds likely, too. if nothing obvious in hydraulics i'll take the clucth apart tomorrow night. have been too busy to get to it 'till now.
i'l keep ya posted. thanks.
Old 04-10-2006, 11:50 PM
Squid

winder
Upon further review....

the clutch fluid did look dark. i decided to change it. bled in some fresh Motul 600RBF. found a large air bubble came out after a few seconds. couldn't start the bike tonight (it is late at night), but it feels better.
tomorrow i'l check it out.

i'l probably change clutch out for my friend, too. after 23,000 miiles, it's time. worn OEM springs could create exactly the symptom we're having.

m
Old 04-11-2006, 07:56 PM
Squid

winder
Re: clutch problem? SOLVED

changing fluid was the solution! as soon as i took it out i could tell it was better. much smoother action and no grabbing.
Problem Solved!
winderOUT
Old 04-12-2006, 02:51 PM
SuperBike

JamieDaugherty is an unknown quantity at this point
That's an easy solution! Sometimes it's good to go back to simple maintenance first, then explore more involved solutions after. Happy riding!

Jamie Daugherty
http://members.iquest.net/~daugherj