Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

Clutch Noise

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2009, 05:01 PM
Squid

Sandigee is on a distinguished road
Clutch Noise

Posting this on behalf of my husband. He has a 2000 VTR 1000. He recently had it in a shop because it had developed a noise. If in neutral he can "feel" the noise which reminds him of a loose chain (but there is no chain). When clutch is engaged there's a noise, but it goes away when he pulls the clutch. Visual inspection of clutch shows that it is in great shape. Carbs are in sync. Bike has 40,000 miles with a major tune-up probably 3 months ago (if that). If you hold onto the clutch basket when it is in neutral you can feel the vibration. Anybody had this problem? Appreciate your input. He would post, but computers just aren't his thing. Thanks.
Old 09-30-2009, 05:08 PM
Boosted
SuperSport

Syclone is on a distinguished road
The clutch is going to make a little noise, if it looks good just ride it don't worry about it.
Old 09-30-2009, 05:29 PM
Superstock

skoshere is on a distinguished road
it chatters and you can feel the noise as you said... that the power!!! no its normal
Old 09-30-2009, 05:43 PM
SuperSport
SuperSport

gboezio is on a distinguished road
Mine does the same thing, I will not try to fix this since I think that it's the countershaft bearings that get old or something that has some lash, the clutch rod thrust push the whole assembly taking the lash and killing the noise.
Sounds like a complete teardown is needed to get rid of the noise, you don't want to touch that unless you really need to, a pair of Jaradine pipes are cheaper and should easily mask the noise
Seriously don't worry about it until it pops out of gear or start running backward, it still should go forever, it's most likely just wear and not broken.
Likewise, as my girlfriend get older she makes more and more funny noises and I'm still loving her.

Last edited by gboezio; 09-30-2009 at 05:46 PM.
Old 09-30-2009, 10:17 PM
MotoGP

lazn is on a distinguished road
There is actually a chain.. going to the cams. My bike was very noisy like that till I replaced the CCTs.

So there is a possibility that those are going. (cct failure can lead to an expensive rebuild) But then again it may not be the issue at all.

APEs are $110 (for parts from www.aperaceparts.com) and if you click on this: APE CCT it goes to a PDF I made from when I installed mine (along with yruyur on his bike). Looking at that would help him decide if it is something he can do himself or if he would want to pay someone to do it.
Old 09-30-2009, 11:19 PM
SuperSport

shayne is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Sandigee
Posting this on behalf of my husband. He has a 2000 VTR 1000. He recently had it in a shop because it had developed a noise. If in neutral he can "feel" the noise which reminds him of a loose chain (but there is no chain). When clutch is engaged there's a noise, but it goes away when he pulls the clutch. Visual inspection of clutch shows that it is in great shape. Carbs are in sync. Bike has 40,000 miles with a major tune-up probably 3 months ago (if that). If you hold onto the clutch basket when it is in neutral you can feel the vibration. Anybody had this problem? Appreciate your input. He would post, but computers just aren't his thing. Thanks.
What you describe is specific to the clutch, so I will assume that you are correct, and that this is where the noise comes from.

Based on your information I think it is possible you are simple describing normal clutch operation. Most clutches make some noise when engaged in neutral, and pulling in the clutch stops the noise. Most bikes do this to some extent. When it gets bad you need to look at your clutch components. If yours are in perfect order, then you do not need to worry.