Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

Which Jet Kit?

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2009, 12:49 PM
Squid

MartyWadd is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb Which Jet Kit?

Which jet kit is the best for a 99vtr with the stock exhaust, and a (partial?) bafflectomy. I think just the last baffle was taken out, and the engine breathes a little easier. I'm getting the 'lean mix' pops, and a very abrupt throttle response at all rpms. Very hard to feather the throttle when around 6-7k on the tach.
Basically, I'm trying to smooth out the throttle response a little bit. Any advice is much appreciated. TIA
Old 09-30-2009, 01:04 PM
MotoGP

lazn is on a distinguished road
Do you have a K&N or BMC filter in there? If not, you shouldn't be having too many issues with just a bafflectomy. Stock should still be ok.

You can try shimming the stock needles as that may do it for you.

Or if you are going to go with a jet kit, the Factory Pro is the easier one to install.

Though good results can be got with any jet kit given time, tuning and a dyno with A/F readings.
Old 10-01-2009, 06:51 AM
SuperBike

JamieDaugherty is on a distinguished road
You pretty much only have one choice - Factory Pro - and I'm not sure those are even available anymore. I've had lots of trouble with Dynojunk kits so you might try avoiding those. The Factory Pro kits are nice, that's for sure. You should act fact as some people have reported difficulty getting them.
Old 10-01-2009, 12:23 PM
Squid

MartyWadd is on a distinguished road
Thanks to all for the responses.
Lazn- I'm not sure about the air filter. I just got the bike a couple of weeks ago and haven't checked it. Will do tonight.
Glad to hear about dynojet's checkered reputation. I've seen 'em cheap on ebay, but will look around for factory pro.
Old 10-01-2009, 12:32 PM
Who are you?
SuperSport

Just_Nick is on a distinguished road
If you do get the FP jet kit, take the Pair system out too. Makes working with the carbs much easier.
Old 10-01-2009, 12:38 PM
RK1
MotoGP

RK1 is on a distinguished road
Before you buy a jet kit... Do you know how the bike is jetted now? If not, I'd find out first. Don't want to buy a FactoryPro or DynoJet kit first and then find out there is already one installed.

Also, for shitty throttle response I'd check/adjust the Throttle Position Sensor before I worried about the jetting.

PS I've got a DynoJet kit and it works perfectly.
Old 10-01-2009, 12:45 PM
SuperBike

killer5280 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by RK1

PS I've got a DynoJet kit and it works perfectly.
+1
Old 10-01-2009, 01:30 PM
Superstock

cameron is on a distinguished road
i have always heard that the dyno jet kits are better than other jet kits because there are more settings more options? but factory pro jet kits are supposed to be easier to tune for the do it yourselfers. i personally would like to know if one jet kit provides better numbers than the other. my dyno jet kit was installed by honda and it runs fine no flat spots and thats with the k&n filter.
Old 10-01-2009, 03:53 PM
MotoGP

mikstr is on a distinguished road
Iive been running a DJ kit for a few years now and the bike has evolved through various stages of modding during this time. Through it all, jetting has been impeccable (with minor tuning). In fact, I have not yet ridden a bike that is better calibrated on the fueling front (despite riding quite a few of the so-called latest and greatest FI bikes) so you certainly can get the DJ kit to work, and very well at that.