Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

Clutch Master Cylinder

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2017, 09:10 AM
SuperBike

xeris is on a distinguished road
Clutch Master Cylinder

Anyone have experience with a clutch master with a 1/2" diameter piston on the SH. The VFR, some CBR1K, CBR100XX and RC51 all use a clutch master with a 1/2" piston. No idea as to the slave size. As you know the SH is a bit larger, can't remember, think it's 14mm.
Might have to use an integrated master (res and master) and wondering what the smaller diameter will do to the stroke, feel and maybe an improvement in a hard launch.
The reason for the change in masters is a clearance issue with the res and the faring.

Last edited by xeris; 10-18-2017 at 09:50 AM. Reason: correction, addition
Old 10-18-2017, 10:49 AM
Not Realy A Squid
Squid

waltr is on a distinguished road
I am not sure what you are after. I own a CBR1100XX and a VTR and a quick look at partzilla confirms what I thought. Both use the same master cylinder. That means it should work fine. Having said that I don't think you will notice any difference. I see the same thing with both bikes. The clutch disengages with the lever almost all the way out. I think they both need a lot smaller master. I saw a post on the XX forum about shortening the pushrod at the master and have done so on the XX. Still has the engagement in a short lever travel but it is pulled farther before it happens. An improvement but I am still not happy yet.

Old 10-18-2017, 05:16 PM
SuperBike

Originally Posted by waltr
I am not sure what you are after. I own a CBR1100XX and a VTR and a quick look at partzilla confirms what I thought. Both use the same master cylinder. That means it should work fine. Having said that I don't think you will notice any difference. I see the same thing with both bikes. The clutch disengages with the lever almost all the way out. I think they both need a lot smaller master. I saw a post on the XX forum about shortening the pushrod at the master and have done so on the XX. Still has the engagement in a short lever travel but it is pulled farther before it happens. An improvement but I am still not happy yet.

The VFR800 and CBR1100XX use the same master. The SH is not the same. Want to make that point correct as there is a lot of misinformation floating around and I don't want to be guilty of spreading any. https://www.partzilla.com/product/honda/22890-MAT-E01?ref=7ce05b2cf23a5db6a924494a3ea5e0ae98504ac8
https://www.partzilla.com/product/ho...a5e0ae98504ac8
I have some clearance issues with the stock SH clutch master reservoir.
The '05 SH has an integrated res. It is 14mm same as all the other years as far as diameter. My thinking is the availability of the VFR, CBRXX masters is better and cheaper. If it also improves the clutch action, it would be a win/win for me.
Old 10-19-2017, 10:39 AM
Not Realy A Squid
Squid

waltr is on a distinguished road
Sorry I did not get that right. I meant they use the same slave cylinder NOT master! So the XX is already using the same cylinder sizes that you would end up with. My point was that they both feel the same. Same amount of lever movement to disengage and effort. Sorry for the confusion it was right in my mind. I am also doing this on a tablet and it ads or changes words or rearranges sentences because Google thinks it knows better. That might have been how it got wrong or I could have just had a brain fart.
Old 10-19-2017, 01:16 PM
VTR virgin
Superstock

Cadbury64 is on a distinguished road
I've not messed around with clutches but I have tinkered with brakes changing calipers and masters, so have a reasonable handle on the effects of a change. A smaller diameter master makes for a softer feel with more travel to achieve the same slave movement; the smaller master has greater "leverage" over the slave. If you go the other way a larger master will make for a harder clutch pull, but won't have to move so far to move the slave. The difference is based off the area of the piston. VFR800's use a 14mm master (98-01) or 12.7mm (02-16). If you want more lever travel and an integrated master then the later VFR/CBR1100 would be the way to go.
Old 11-07-2017, 10:20 PM
Superstock

CaryDG is on a distinguished road
I just converted my '98 SH to a 12mm Clutch Master from a VFR. It made a vast improvement on launching/slipping without the notorious Grab and stall condition.There is a much broader engagement point and a bit of a lighter feel. It was well worth the $30 I spent on E*%#. It appears to have been well taken care of and it takes the same configuration levers as well.
Old 11-17-2017, 11:22 AM
Superstock

102dals is an unknown quantity at this point
Cary,
Did you change the brake MC also, to match the integrated reservoir?
Got any pics of the "cockpit"?
Old 11-17-2017, 04:01 PM
MotoGP

mikstr is on a distinguished road
FWIW, Brembo radial MC from a late model Ducati works too. I have been running one from a Monster 1100 for a few years now and it works fine, with slightly softer action too
Old 11-18-2017, 01:09 AM
Superstock

CaryDG is on a distinguished road
No< I left it stock as I'm putting on a Red Rizoma to match all the little red bits on the bike. I'll get some pics this weekend. I too thought about a Ducati radial but I couldn't pass up a $30 clean VFR one.
Old 03-01-2020, 12:10 PM
SuperBike

Originally Posted by mikstr
FWIW, Brembo radial MC from a late model Ducati works too. I have been running one from a Monster 1100 for a few years now and it works fine, with slightly softer action too
Can you tell me the year(s) Monster the M/C is from, and do you know the piston diameter?
Old 03-01-2020, 07:02 PM
MotoGP

mikstr is on a distinguished road
It came from a Monster 1100 (not sure about the year, but it`s the same unit as used on 1098, 848, ... and virtually all Ducs of that era. From my research, I believe it`s a 15x18 (so 15mm piston with 18mm fulcrum length)
Old 03-02-2020, 09:02 AM
SuperBike

Originally Posted by mikstr
It came from a Monster 1100 (not sure about the year, but it`s the same unit as used on 1098, 848, ... and virtually all Ducs of that era. From my research, I believe it`s a 15x18 (so 15mm piston with 18mm fulcrum length)
Thanks, my search continues.