Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

Front wheel/disk alignment

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2020, 05:25 PM
Squid

chromedome is on a distinguished road
Front wheel/disk alignment

Having serviced the new 954 callipers, I went to reassemble the front end, but found that the right-hand disk was way off centre in the calliper (towards the outside, with barely any clearance), as well as quite close to the fork leg. I refitted the original calliper, but that was the same. I made sure I had the spacers the right side (long on right, short on left), so can't work out what the issue is. As far as I can tell, the axle bolt pulls everything up tight against the right-hand fork leg, so the only slight variable should be the position of the left fork leg. What am I missing? is it possible the spacer is the wrong size? It measures 22mm wide.
Old 03-11-2020, 12:06 AM
Superstock

CaryDG is on a distinguished road
Wheel Backwards?
Old 03-11-2020, 03:23 PM
VTR virgin
Superstock

Cadbury64 is on a distinguished road
Just to be clear (because some people look at things from a different perspective...)

"Left" is the left as you are sitting on the bike, the same side that you insert the axle from. The manual definitely shows the short spacer on this side, the long spacer is on the side where the axle nut goes.
Old 03-11-2020, 04:30 PM
Squid

chromedome is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Cadbury64
Just to be clear (because some people look at things from a different perspective...)

"Left" is the left as you are sitting on the bike, the same side that you insert the axle from. The manual definitely shows the short spacer on this side, the long spacer is on the side where the axle nut goes.
Yes, correct. I actually found the issue earlier; it was a severely dished right disk. Holding a flat edge across the disk showed a substantial distortion. So, new disks on the way.