Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

Clunk? Clank? Cough?

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2005, 05:44 PM
Squid

98SuperHawk
Clunk? Clank? Cough?

Hey Guys,
Just bought a 1998 Honda SuperHawk with 13,730 miles, Micron Oval Carbon Slip-Ons, Goodridge Braided Lines . When we went to see the bike it ran great. Got it home, started it the next day and I heard alot of noises that sounded to me like a clanking maybe, clunking, metally noises that I didnt hear the previous day.... With the choke on or off, it did it quite offen while warming up. Then I changed the oil and filter and the noise is very rare now. Ill start it up when its cold, and it will now make the sound while it warms up maybe 2 times. Aparently its a normal VTR noise? also it sometimes stalls when its warming up, like clunk and die syndrome. Common things I guess. Just a little paroniod since its new to me. Runs great, sometimes a slight cough, also normal? Thanks for all the help, Pete
P.S. It may just be a cough from under the seat, i can feel it .....
Old 05-04-2005, 09:27 PM
MotoGP

superbling is on a distinguished road
Re: Clunk? Clank? Cough?

Diagnosing problematic sounds over the internet is never easy! I'll hazard to guess the "cough" sound is a carb spitback into the airbox which is not an uncommon sound for a superhawk and is primarily a jetting issue along with some other things BUT.....

The other noises are a bigger concern. Again without hearing them, I'll GUESS they might be the cam chain tensioners or cam chains that might get better once warm. Again, this is just a guess and may not be reason for alarm; however, I strongly suggest taking it to a mechanic (hopefully who knows VTR's) for a listen.
Old 05-05-2005, 08:10 AM
Squid

98SuperHawk

Thanks for your reply. Do you have any idea why it would do it alot less frequently after oil change? I would like to bring it to a Honda dealership but the guys around here are a$$holes and don't know anymore than I do. Should i get a new cam chain tensioner, or adjust the one on there now? not sure what to do. No one thinks its anything to worry about, which makes me happy. Thanks Pete
Old 05-06-2005, 04:33 AM
Squid

98SuperHawk

Thank man, That actually makes alot of sense to me. The "problem" was almost completely alleviated by changing the oil and filter to Amsoil 0w-40 and a new Honda oil filter. Also, with the coughing, I believe it is due to the pipes. Im not sure that the previous owner jetted the bike for them. I get the cough at steady throttle occasionaly, and when I take off like from a light every so often. Thats about it. I love the bike, and it runs sweet otherwise. Thanks for all your help guys.
Pete
Old 05-08-2005, 03:03 PM
Squid

98SuperHawk

Update:
Since the oil change, the noise has completely gone away. I think the first time i started it after the oil change it may have done it once, or may have been a cough, not sure. But anyway the oil that came out seemed old. It's still got an occasional cough, and once it stalled out as I was slowing for a red light, clutch in.... the idle is set too low, anyways, Love the bike. Just happy its running great
Thanks for all your help.
Pete