Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

cleaning rotors/ new pads

Old 04-22-2011, 05:12 PM
Back Marker

20_rc51_00 is on a distinguished road
cleaning rotors/ new pads

I do not have access to remove the front wheel, nor do I have a front stand so I can't make use of my rotor hone ( Rotor Hone User Inst. )

the last set of pads were organic i think and the next ones I intend on using will be sintered. I'm assuming that it would be a good idea to get a clead surface free of whatever debris/contaminants the organic pads may have left on the rotor before replacing with sintered pads.

any suggestions on what to use for cleaning, I was thinking sand paper, anyone have any other suggestions. My thought is that the sand paper might not last and not be abrasive enough with the standard material used for the grit..
Old 04-23-2011, 03:57 AM
Back Marker

D VTR RIDER is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by 20_rc51_00
I do not have access to remove the front wheel, nor do I have a front stand so I can't make use of my rotor hone ( Rotor Hone User Inst. )

the last set of pads were organic i think and the next ones I intend on using will be sintered. I'm assuming that it would be a good idea to get a clead surface free of whatever debris/contaminants the organic pads may have left on the rotor before replacing with sintered pads.

any suggestions on what to use for cleaning, I was thinking sand paper, anyone have any other suggestions. My thought is that the sand paper might not last and not be abrasive enough with the standard material used for the grit..
Try a steel wire brush and then use brake cleaner afterwards.