Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

Changed CCT's to manuals. New problem

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2011, 10:46 PM
Squid

Fastforward is on a distinguished road
Changed CCT's to manuals. New problem

So when I changed them I screwed up and the rear cylinder jumped. I pulled the exhaust cam and got everything lined back up. Then I did the front and it seemed to go smoothly. I didn't hear anything jump that is. I also took the opportunity to change the plugs while I had them out.

So, tonight I take it out for a ride and it idles and warms up just fine. However... it feels fuel starved and very very lurchy for lack of a better term. It doesn't sound quite right either though I don't know how to explain that part. I went about half a block and then pulled over. I had to rev it up to about 4k just to get it going back to my place. Felt like I was trying to start it in 2nd or 3rd gear. Any ideas what I've screwed up?

I should mention that I had given it a bath about an hour before too. I'll give it another shot tomorrow after it's good and dried out but until then, any ideas?

Last edited by Fastforward; 07-28-2011 at 10:55 PM.
Old 07-28-2011, 11:42 PM
SuperBike

Wicky is on a distinguished road
Well done on doing the CCTs! - Is the vacuum hose back correctly on the fuel tap... are the other drain / breather pipes, fuel pipes back on correctly and unkinked?
Old 07-29-2011, 04:57 AM
ride it out
SuperSport

nothing is on a distinguished road
I one myself ran into a similar problem as your own. I had jumped teeth because I failed to properly tighten the front CCT [at all] and turned the motor by hand. Once I heard the noise, I realized what just happened. Consufed, I looked over to my car mechanic buddy and asked what he thought I should do. "Turn the engine back some revolutions, and tighten the CCT".
We did just that, and it nevertheless jumped back in the correct timing sequence. Now this probably should not have been done, but it was my bike and it worked! Been riding ever since.
Old 07-29-2011, 08:06 AM
Squid

Originally Posted by Wicky
Well done on doing the CCTs! - Is the vacuum hose back correctly on the fuel tap... are the other drain / breather pipes, fuel pipes back on correctly and unkinked?
I believe so. I'll check again tonight when I get home.

Originally Posted by nothing
I one myself ran into a similar problem as your own. I had jumped teeth because I failed to properly tighten the front CCT [at all] and turned the motor by hand. Once I heard the noise, I realized what just happened. Consufed, I looked over to my car mechanic buddy and asked what he thought I should do. "Turn the engine back some revolutions, and tighten the CCT".
We did just that, and it nevertheless jumped back in the correct timing sequence. Now this probably should not have been done, but it was my bike and it worked! Been riding ever since.
I turned the bike over a few times by hand after I got the new CCTs in and I didn't hear anything jump. *shrugs*
Old 07-29-2011, 08:27 AM
ride it out
SuperSport

which direction were you turning it?
Old 07-29-2011, 09:21 AM
Squid

chp_hates_me is on a distinguished road
damn, jumped back into correct timing? maybe you should buy a lottery ticket!

Old 07-29-2011, 09:30 AM
MotoGP

7moore7 is on a distinguished road
Timing sounds like the issue, although it also sounds like it's running on one cylinder... check to make sure you have spark in both plugs (5 min check before you go taking anything apart), especially with the whole water thing and recently changing them.
Old 07-29-2011, 10:39 AM
Squid

which direction were you turning it?
Counter clockwise

Originally Posted by 7moore7
Timing sounds like the issue, although it also sounds like it's running on one cylinder... check to make sure you have spark in both plugs (5 min check before you go taking anything apart), especially with the whole water thing and recently changing them.
Both are firing. I was getting hot exhaust from both cylinders last night.
Old 07-29-2011, 10:43 AM
ride it out
SuperSport

Originally Posted by chp_hates_me
damn, jumped back into correct timing? maybe you should buy a lottery ticket!
yep made the same noise when I turned it the other way. that was almost over a year now, think my luck's run out
Old 07-31-2011, 03:48 PM
Squid

Well, I figured out the problem. I'd plugged that little 1/8" vacuum line onto the port on the bottom of the petcock instead of the port on the rear of the petcock. Man I'm smart. Just started it up and ran it up the block and back and it seems fine. I'll get geared up and take it out later tonight when the weather cools to be sure.

On a related note now my fuel light is flashing at me even though I have a good 1/2 a tank. I just can't win with this thing
Old 07-31-2011, 05:33 PM
SuperBike

Thumper is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by Fastforward
Well, I figured out the problem. I'd plugged that little 1/8" vacuum line onto the port on the bottom of the petcock instead of the port on the rear of the petcock. Man I'm smart.
You aren't the first to do that and surely will not be the last.