SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   Technical Discussion (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/)
-   -   Changed CCT's to manuals. New problem (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/changed-ccts-manuals-new-problem-26251/)

Fastforward 07-28-2011 10:46 PM

Changed CCT's to manuals. New problem

So when I changed them I screwed up and the rear cylinder jumped. I pulled the exhaust cam and got everything lined back up. Then I did the front and it seemed to go smoothly. I didn't hear anything jump that is. I also took the opportunity to change the plugs while I had them out.

So, tonight I take it out for a ride and it idles and warms up just fine. However... it feels fuel starved and very very lurchy for lack of a better term. It doesn't sound quite right either though I don't know how to explain that part. I went about half a block and then pulled over. I had to rev it up to about 4k just to get it going back to my place. Felt like I was trying to start it in 2nd or 3rd gear. Any ideas what I've screwed up?

I should mention that I had given it a bath about an hour before too. I'll give it another shot tomorrow after it's good and dried out but until then, any ideas?

Wicky 07-28-2011 11:42 PM

Well done on doing the CCTs! - Is the vacuum hose back correctly on the fuel tap... are the other drain / breather pipes, fuel pipes back on correctly and unkinked?

nothing 07-29-2011 04:57 AM

I one myself ran into a similar problem as your own. I had jumped teeth because I failed to properly tighten the front CCT [at all] and turned the motor by hand. Once I heard the noise, I realized what just happened. Consufed, I looked over to my car mechanic buddy and asked what he thought I should do. "Turn the engine back some revolutions, and tighten the CCT".
We did just that, and it nevertheless jumped back in the correct timing sequence. Now this probably should not have been done, but it was my bike and it worked! Been riding ever since.

Fastforward 07-29-2011 08:06 AM

Originally Posted by Wicky (Post 310049)
Well done on doing the CCTs! - Is the vacuum hose back correctly on the fuel tap... are the other drain / breather pipes, fuel pipes back on correctly and unkinked?

I believe so. I'll check again tonight when I get home.

Originally Posted by nothing (Post 310057)
I one myself ran into a similar problem as your own. I had jumped teeth because I failed to properly tighten the front CCT [at all] and turned the motor by hand. Once I heard the noise, I realized what just happened. Consufed, I looked over to my car mechanic buddy and asked what he thought I should do. "Turn the engine back some revolutions, and tighten the CCT".
We did just that, and it nevertheless jumped back in the correct timing sequence. Now this probably should not have been done, but it was my bike and it worked! Been riding ever since.

I turned the bike over a few times by hand after I got the new CCTs in and I didn't hear anything jump. *shrugs*

nothing 07-29-2011 08:27 AM

which direction were you turning it?

chp_hates_me 07-29-2011 09:21 AM

damn, jumped back into correct timing? maybe you should buy a lottery ticket!

Originally Posted by nothing (Post 310057)

7moore7 07-29-2011 09:30 AM

Timing sounds like the issue, although it also sounds like it's running on one cylinder... check to make sure you have spark in both plugs (5 min check before you go taking anything apart), especially with the whole water thing and recently changing them.

Fastforward 07-29-2011 10:39 AM

Originally Posted by nothing (Post 310065)
which direction were you turning it?

Counter clockwise

Originally Posted by 7moore7 (Post 310067)
Timing sounds like the issue, although it also sounds like it's running on one cylinder... check to make sure you have spark in both plugs (5 min check before you go taking anything apart), especially with the whole water thing and recently changing them.

Both are firing. I was getting hot exhaust from both cylinders last night.

nothing 07-29-2011 10:43 AM

Originally Posted by chp_hates_me (Post 310066)
damn, jumped back into correct timing? maybe you should buy a lottery ticket!

yep made the same noise when I turned it the other way. that was almost over a year now, think my luck's run out

Fastforward 07-31-2011 03:48 PM

Well, I figured out the problem. I'd plugged that little 1/8" vacuum line onto the port on the bottom of the petcock instead of the port on the rear of the petcock. Man I'm smart. Just started it up and ran it up the block and back and it seems fine. I'll get geared up and take it out later tonight when the weather cools to be sure.

On a related note now my fuel light is flashing at me even though I have a good 1/2 a tank. I just can't win with this thing :D

Thumper 07-31-2011 05:33 PM

Originally Posted by Fastforward (Post 310273)
Well, I figured out the problem. I'd plugged that little 1/8" vacuum line onto the port on the bottom of the petcock instead of the port on the rear of the petcock. Man I'm smart. :D

You aren't the first to do that and surely will not be the last.