General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

Well. I did it! Changed my CCT's!

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2012, 09:57 PM
New Hawk Rider
Superstock

eersfanpilot is on a distinguished road
Well. I did it! Changed my CCT's!

First off I have to say that without the info on this forum I would not have been able to do it.

Now. Everything seems like I completed the job to spec but I am seeking advice on what to watch out for after a CCT change. Any strange noises? What to watch for in the following days to make 100% sure. Everything is right?
Old 05-08-2012, 10:04 PM
Banned
MotoGP

8541Hawk will become famous soon enough
Need to know what type you installed first.... and good job on getting them installed, it can be intimidating if you haven't done it before.
Old 05-08-2012, 10:21 PM
the boss
SuperBike

saige is on a distinguished road
did you put the blue sealant on the rear cct.it will leak if not applied.
oil sits in it.
Old 05-09-2012, 07:25 AM
aja
SuperSport

aja is on a distinguished road
Rtv sealant or vinyl tape the threads on the rear cct. Other than that pay attention for a clanking sound (ccts too loose) or a whine coming from the engine (ccts too tight)
Old 05-09-2012, 07:47 AM
Back Marker
Back Marker

superdutyd is on a distinguished road
The cct's i manufacture tend not to leak with the o-ring to seal the adjusting bolt and the nyloc nut as a backup. I even made a fixture to test this setup for oil leakage. I still recommend thread sealant though.
Old 05-09-2012, 08:29 AM
New Hawk Rider
Superstock

8541Hawk: I went with superdutyd CCT's. I used a PDF writeup from the main CCT thread to install. It was a bit intimidating but went slow and did it.

Superdutyd: the thread sealant, are you recommending on the mounting screws or the adjusting bolt? Great work by the way, top quality.
Old 05-09-2012, 08:37 AM
MotoGP

7moore7 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by eersfanpilot
Superdutyd: the thread sealant, are you recommending on the mounting screws or the adjusting bolt? Great work by the way, top quality.
Mainly the adjusting bolt. The mounting screws are sealed with the gasket. Not a bad idea to use blue thread locker on them, though…

And if you used the instructions (especially if you took the valve covers off) and tightened all the bolts down well, you won’t need to pay attention too much. Like was said, if it’s making noises, check into it, but everything’s bolted and nothings moving, so if anything were to happen it would have already

Nice feeling, yeah?
Old 05-09-2012, 09:00 AM
GTS
Seasoned tech
SuperSport

GTS is on a distinguished road
I got those same ones and plan to install them this weekend. It's just tough deciding if the weather is nice to work on the bike or ride the bike! LOL!

One thing to point out blue thread locker would probably be fine but blue RTV is not oil compatable and the oil will break it down over time. Not to mention when ever you see blue or red RTV it's a sure sign someone's been in what ever it is that's being sealed. Obviously if you have the MCCT's you've been in it, but I guess what I'm saying is using black or better yet the gray Hondabond it will be less noticeable, it's what the factory uses, and it'll be oil compatable.
Old 05-09-2012, 09:22 AM
New Hawk Rider
Superstock

Ok thanks. I will look for some sealant. Yes, it is a great feeling! I did take the covers off and tie wrapped everything. It was as much a learning experience as a safety factor. I can fly planes but can't nail two boards together! So far from all the help on this site I have shimmed and balanced carbs and changed CCT's. Feeling pretty handy right now haha!

Originally Posted by 7moore7
Mainly the adjusting bolt. The mounting screws are sealed with the gasket. Not a bad idea to use blue thread locker on them, though…

And if you used the instructions (especially if you took the valve covers off) and tightened all the bolts down well, you won’t need to pay attention too much. Like was said, if it’s making noises, check into it, but everything’s bolted and nothings moving, so if anything were to happen it would have already

Nice feeling, yeah?
Old 05-09-2012, 10:53 AM
SuperSport

98VTRrider is on a distinguished road
Did you put any lock-tight type something onto the threads and lock nut? Possible for these shakey motors to rattle things loose.
Old 05-09-2012, 01:57 PM
MotoGP

Wolverine is on a distinguished road
What to watch out for after a CCT change... not much that hasn't been mentioned.
Watch for oil weep around the rear one and around any valve cover that was removed. And listen for the sound either wasn't adjusted quite right.
Old 05-09-2012, 02:25 PM
Back Marker
Back Marker

superdutyd is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by 98VTRrider
Did you put any lock-tight type something onto the threads and lock nut? Possible for these shakey motors to rattle things loose.

You are right about these motors shaking. That is why i added a set screw to the adjusting bolt. Also, i think he safety wired them.
Old 05-09-2012, 02:25 PM
aja
SuperSport

aja is on a distinguished road
If you have the o ring on the cct forget the thread sealer unless you notice a leak. It won't be much more than a drop or two a week so it can be hard to over look.
Old 05-09-2012, 05:08 PM
New Hawk Rider
Superstock

Wow! Thanks for all the info guys.

As far as the CCT's are concerned I think I have them set right. I may try and tighten the front a bit. I have a small sound when I go from a dead stop in 1st and into 2nd. A bit of a rattle type sound. Once I get them set I think I will have my director of maintenance for our aircraft go in and safety wire them in place.

I did not use any thread sealant so what I am planning on doing is checking every so often for oil weep. If I find any I will undo everything and redo the job with sealant. With the O-Ring and safety wire, hopefully I am good to go for about 20K!
Old 05-09-2012, 05:34 PM
MotoGP

7moore7 is on a distinguished road
You don't have to undo everything to put sealant on. Set TDC. Loosen the lock nut, slowly back out the tensioner bolt until 1/4" of threads are showing (making sure the nut doesn't move relative to the bolt), wipe threads clean, and apply rtv Black sealant. Then slowly screw the tensioner bolt back in (again, nut travels with the threads) and once it's seated, tighten the lock nut back up. Works like a charm, and takes 10 min. You could do it now if you wanted.
Old 05-09-2012, 05:45 PM
Superstock

speedkelly@aol.com is on a distinguished road
Damn! Well done James.

Hmmmm? whats next?

Re-build/re-spring front forks?

Hey don't forget to mail back my tools!

I got to ride up the 33 last Sunday was empty of bikes, Prefect day, no cops, was awesome.
Old 05-09-2012, 06:15 PM
New Hawk Rider
Superstock

Steve,

My wife has your tools set aside so you will get them back soon.

What?! No call?? You were in my neck of CA!! :-)
Old 05-09-2012, 06:16 PM
New Hawk Rider
Superstock

7moore7: Great advice! We have some thread sealant in the hangar. Thanks!