Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

Chain & Sprockets suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2010, 03:26 AM
SuperSport

residentg is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by RuthlessButcher
If you add 2 teeth at the back do you have to add links to your chain?
Well if you go 43 in the back, and keep 16 up front like I did, it will all go together much easier if you go +2 links. Stock is 102, so +2 is 104. I like this set up for street use. Unless you are racing around, get steel sprockets, they are stronger and last longer than aluminum, althogh they are heavier. I also replaced the rear sprocket drive cushions since it was all apart and they do harden after a while. I repaced the wheel bearings because I am OCD. I went with DID XRing and Sunstar since they are good quality, the other brands mentioned here are also good.

As for the $380, dealers charge what they can get. If you need a new chain and sprocekt and cannot do it yourself $380 might be cheap. I would never use a dealer except for machine work because I do not have a press or lathe, and tire changes because it is a PIA to do it yourself.

I like Silkolene chain lube for my street bikes. JB
Old 06-06-2010, 03:41 AM
RK1
MotoGP

RK1 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by residentg
Well if you go 43 in the back, and keep 16 up front like I did, it will all go together much easier if you go +2 links. Stock is 102, so +2 is 104. I like this set up for street use. Unless you are racing around, get steel sprockets, they are stronger and last longer than aluminum, althogh they are heavier. I also replaced the rear sprocket drive cushions since it was all apart and they do harden after a while. I repaced the wheel bearings because I am OCD. I went with DID XRing and Sunstar since they are good quality, the other brands mentioned here are also good.

As for the $380, dealers charge what they can get. If you need a new chain and sprocekt and cannot do it yourself $380 might be cheap. I would never use a dealer except for machine work because I do not have a press or lathe, and tire changes because it is a PIA to do it yourself.

I like Silkolene chain lube for my street bikes. JB
16/43 works absolutely fine with the stock (102 link) chain. And if you later decide to go with a 15 tooth front/43 tooth rear, that works fine with OEM chain as well. Don't see any reason to go with a +2 chain.
Old 06-06-2010, 03:52 AM
SuperSport

residentg is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by RK1
16/43 works absolutely fine with the stock (102 link) chain. And if you later decide to go with a 15 tooth front/43 tooth rear, that works fine with OEM chain as well. Don't see any reason to go with a +2 chain.
My 2005, and the DID and Sunstar, it was a bit tight with 102 so I went with 104. You could get away with 102 and it would losen up to a good fit after a bit of riding.