Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

Chain & Sprockets suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2009, 08:22 AM
Futon Guru
Squid

Pixtaker is on a distinguished road
Chain & Sprockets suggestions?

OK, so I am the second least mechanically inclined person on earth. My momma always said, "If you want something done right hire good people to do it". Therefore, I'm a little out of my element here so I need some advice...

My chain has been making a little noise so I took it to the Honda dealer and they said the chain & sprockets need to be replaced. For a DID chain & JT sprockets installed they want $380.00. That sounds outrageous for a chain & sprockets but maybe I'm wrong.

Anyway, a friend says he can change them out no problem if I get the parts. Any suggestions of what, dollar for dollar, the best chain & sprockets out there are? It's still running the 530, although I'm not opposed to going with the 520 mod...just have never seen a reason to do it.

So what do you guys think?
Old 06-25-2009, 08:33 AM
Squid

cheapbastard is on a distinguished road
I just put a 530 DID gold chain and steel Drive System sprockets all for $182 from sprocketcenter.com

Name:  DSC_0827.jpg
Views: 591
Size:  97.7 KB
Old 06-25-2009, 08:34 AM
Fastest Color
SuperBike

FL02SupaHawk996 is on a distinguished road
Pix, if the $380 includes changing the oil and rotating the tire then it's fair, otherwise run!

I'm running a 520 setup and love it! If you have a wrench willing to do the work, you can go to Flebay and find sets like this: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/HONDA...Q5fAccessories

However, I like to touch and feel my new parts so I bought the chain & sprokets at a Cyclegear Just buy the strongest 520 o-ring chain you can buy and you'll be fine...

Good luck bro!
Old 06-25-2009, 08:36 AM
SuperBike

Erik S. is on a distinguished road
I paid $160 for my chain and sprockets. Sunstar sprockets and a DID X-ring chain. $380 is ridiculous, that's $220 in labor which is 3 hours or so, and that is a ridiculous time. Even without experience, you could change them yourself in an hour just reading the manual.

Find the sprockets you want, and the gearing you want, and buy your friend some beer.
Old 06-25-2009, 10:10 AM
Futon Guru
Squid

Pixtaker is on a distinguished road
Thanks for the quick replies!

I'm doing a little reading on the chains but I'm still a little fuzzy on the sprockets and gearing. I spend most of my time cruising around town with the occasional highway trip up to Omaha (about 50 miles). I don't ride extremely fast I just like being in the wind.

Suggestions on how to gear it?
Old 06-25-2009, 10:13 AM
Fastest Color
SuperBike

Originally Posted by Pixtaker
Thanks for the quick replies!

I'm doing a little reading on the chains but I'm still a little fuzzy on the sprockets and gearing. I spend most of my time cruising around town with the occasional highway trip up to Omaha (about 50 miles). I don't ride extremely fast I just like being in the wind.

Suggestions on how to gear it?
I've tried stock 16/41 and didn't like it cuz it was too long so I went to 15/43 which was too short causing buzzy vibs at hwy speeds, so went back to stock 16 in front with 43 out back and it's perfect for me...I commute 50 miles 1 way to work and at 80 mph it sits at 5K rpm in 6th gear...
Old 06-25-2009, 10:20 AM
Fastest Color
SuperBike

Originally Posted by Erik S.
I paid $160 for my chain and sprockets. Sunstar sprockets and a DID X-ring chain. $380 is ridiculous, that's $220 in labor which is 3 hours or so, and that is a ridiculous time. Even without experience, you could change them yourself in an hour just reading the manual.

Find the sprockets you want, and the gearing you want, and buy your friend some beer.
+1, buy the beer 1st then everything else will fall into place
Old 06-25-2009, 12:53 PM
guru of things sparky
SuperSport

Circuit_Burner is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by cheapbastard
I just put a 530 DID gold chain and steel Drive System sprockets all for $182 from sprocketcenter.com

That chain looks too tight right there.
Way too tight.
Tight chains dont like you, and they try to do bad things to you and your bike.
Old 06-26-2009, 04:01 AM
MotoGP

nath981 is on a distinguished road
If you just like crusin around and really don't get with the program, the stock set-up is fine. I prefer the 520 conversion(-1,+2) for several reasons, mostly to do with reduced unsprung weight/spinning weight and quicker acceleration. Noticeable Improvement. i have Regina gold chain with Vortex sprockets, although Afam and supersprox are better according to Hawkrider. I have seen the afam and it looks better than the vortex in terms of build quality.

relative to doing the job yourself, get your buddy to help. You'll need a master link and mine was the rivet type and this requires a special tool to do properly. I bought a Motion Pro when I found out I needed to clamp the rivets, but others are less costly. This is not a job for someone with little or no skills, especially in terms of securing the rivet link properly, making sure the sprockets are installed securely and aligned/adjusted well. Once you've done it a time or two, it's no big deal, but you don't even want to think about that chain coming undone at any speed.
https://www.superhawkforum.com/forum...&pictureid=610

Last edited by nath981; 06-26-2009 at 04:10 AM.
Old 07-06-2009, 06:01 PM
Squid

RuthlessButcher is on a distinguished road
If you add 2 teeth at the back do you have to add links to your chain?
Old 07-06-2009, 07:57 PM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by RuthlessButcher
I would guess that you would, although if you dropped one tooth in the front at the same time, you might get away with it.
Old 07-06-2009, 08:18 PM
SuperBike

killer5280 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by RuthlessButcher
No. -1, +2, or any combination of these sprockets do not require lengthening the chain.
Old 07-07-2009, 04:56 AM
Fastest Color
SuperBike

Originally Posted by killer5280
No. -1, +2, or any combination of these sprockets do not require lengthening the chain.
+1, You can use your current chain...no prob...
Old 07-07-2009, 05:37 AM
Superstock

maverick is on a distinguished road
Hey pixtaker I only live about half an hour from you, and I would be more than happy to help with your chain or any other problem you're having on your bike so long as you buy the beer!
Old 07-07-2009, 05:40 AM
Fastest Color
SuperBike

Originally Posted by maverick
Hey pixtaker I only live about half an hour from you, and I would be more than happy to help with your chain or any other problem you're having on your bike so long as you buy the beer!
+1, Will Work For Beer
Old 07-07-2009, 06:48 AM
guru of things sparky
SuperSport

Regina makes the best chains in the world.
Old 07-07-2009, 09:43 AM
Squid

opsmgr is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Circuit_Burner
That chain looks too tight right there.
Way too tight.
Tight chains dont like you, and they try to do bad things to you and your bike.
Nice spot. Twang ... I could play a tune on that

Paul
Old 07-07-2009, 10:25 AM
Back Marker

Otto Man is on a distinguished road
Also...make sure you RIVET the new chain, don't use a regular clip on master link!
Old 07-07-2009, 12:01 PM
guru of things sparky
SuperSport

rivets suck compared to clip links, but Im not going to fight about this again , LOL!

Muhahaha

Last edited by Circuit_Burner; 07-07-2009 at 01:03 PM.
Old 07-07-2009, 01:39 PM
Administrator
World Champion

Hawkrider will become famous soon enoughHawkrider will become famous soon enough
With the right tool, rivets have the advantage. Problem is that tool is about $150. No thanks, even from the Master of One-Use Tools (me). I've been running a clip for about 10k miles and haven't had a problem. The last one kept popping off on me, but I didn't lose the side plate, so I lockwired it instead.
Old 07-07-2009, 01:55 PM
SuperBike

trinc is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Hawkrider
With the right tool, rivets have the advantage. Problem is that tool is about $150. No thanks, even from the Master of One-Use Tools (me). I've been running a clip for about 10k miles and haven't had a problem. The last one kept popping off on me, but I didn't lose the side plate, so I lockwired it instead.
i bought my motion pro rivot kit on ebay for around $70 a 'few' years back.
best investment, tool wise, to date. i've loaned it out for 6x beer countless times...

tim
Old 07-07-2009, 01:56 PM
Squid

opsmgr is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Hawkrider
If you're very, very careful, you can peen the rivet over with a ball pein hammer. Not for me though, I'm too ham-fisted, so I bought the proper riveting tool.

It's easy on the storm/hawk though, as the chain doesn't need to go through the swing arm, so at a push you could do the riveting in a vise on the bench, rather than on your hands and knees ...

Cheers,

Paul.
Old 05-25-2010, 09:23 AM
Fading Fast
Squid

alientestsubject is on a distinguished road
Sprocket Part Numbers?

Do most aftermarket sprockets have standard bolt patterns / spline patterns? im going to change over to 15/43. Could someone give me brands and part numbers? That would be the berries. thanks in advance.
Old 05-25-2010, 11:10 AM
Squid

BlackhawksFan is on a distinguished road
Not to jack the thread, but I am planning on the 520 conversion with the 15/43 swap. Been looking at different kits and found this one online: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/HONDA...item563cb95f3c

Opinions? Or a place to get the kit for under $150?
Old 05-25-2010, 11:22 AM
SuperSport

mboe794 is on a distinguished road
That one sucks. Get this one. Much better chain. I currently have this same kit from sumofallparts on ebay.

Some people may not like that it comes with an aluminum rear sprocket. I plan finding out if there is really anything to worry about or not.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/HONDA...item563cb8f610

Last edited by mboe794; 05-25-2010 at 11:24 AM.
Old 05-25-2010, 07:06 PM
MotoGP

I got the regina gold chain and the front steel sprocket and the rear alum vortex(which is the weak part of the kit). The rear vortex is soft and showed wear in a few thousand miles. i replaced it wiht an AFAM high tensil alum, so in my case it wasn't worth it. Also be prepared to but a tool to install the rivet link unless you buy a clip type chain link. Cost me a 100.00 for a motion pro tool. I would recommend getting a good rear sprocket in lieu of that vortex.
Old 06-05-2010, 04:03 PM
Squid

BlackhawksFan is on a distinguished road
Any opinions on this setup? Which chain setup would be the best. I don't mind paying extra for a better quality chain, but don't want to throw money away.

http://www.cyclesector.com/520_CHAIN...20kit-sale.htm
Old 06-05-2010, 08:49 PM
MotoGP

You usually get what you pay for in terms of these items. I would go with the best you can afford, but be apprised that you will need a rivet tool to attach the chain, unless you choose to go with a clip-type master link.
Old 06-05-2010, 10:32 PM
Administrator
World Champion

Hawkrider will become famous soon enoughHawkrider will become famous soon enough
Driven sprockets are middle of the road. They will last if you take care of them....religiously. AFAM sprockets seem to be the best, or you can go with a Supersprox if you want something trick. The chain, it seems, you have a wide choice on. Most any name brand will do. We only make about 100hp.
Old 06-06-2010, 12:07 AM
Back Marker

super duper hawk is on a distinguished road
Why did'nt Honda use a Belt Drive?

Quick Reply: Chain & Sprockets suggestions?