Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

cct question

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2009, 06:11 PM
SuperBike

uchi is on a distinguished road
cct question

ok i know this has been beaten to death on here. im getting ready to do mine and just want to make sure ive got the right idea here. put the bike on the stand, 6th gear, remove timing mark cover, line up the rt mark with the timing marks, and from there i can either remove the cam cover or just remove the cct carefully and if i dont hear a click im fine, and for the front i line up the timing marks with ft and repeat the above steps. and if i wanna be safe i can remove the cam cover and line up the marks and then ziptie the chain to the cam gear first before removing the cct. does that sound about right? just wanna be 100% sure ive got this thing figured out before i do this.
Old 10-13-2009, 07:12 PM
SuperBike

Also should I buy the apes or make my autos into manuals?
Old 10-13-2009, 07:34 PM
MotoGP

lazn is on a distinguished road
I have a semi coherent walk through linked in my signature (PDF format) feel free to print that out.

You really should remove at least one of the valve covers (rear is easier) because the timing mark lines up twice in the 4 stroke rotation and in one of those TDC situations there is still a little pressure on the valves risking a timing chain jump.

As for self made manuals vs APEs.. if you do a good job making them, there is no real difference. If you mess up making them, then that's on you... For the $110 for a pair, I went ahead and purchased APEs.
Old 10-13-2009, 07:59 PM
MotoGP

lazn is on a distinguished road
Oh, another note.. we printed out walk throughs from several sites (this one, the UK forum, etc) and used all that info and made sure each step made sense as we did it..

I would recommend doing the same.. If you run into something that isn't covered in one person's walk through, read the others to see if they say something about it. (I know my walk through isn't perfect either lol)
Old 10-13-2009, 08:14 PM
2nd mouse gets the cheese
SuperBike

Little_Horse is on a distinguished road
easiest method I know is to take the rear valve cover off make, line up the rt mark, the cams should point down and away from each other (there is a picture on the sticky), but not be pushing on the valve. Remove the cct slowly replace with the manual one. Next rotate the engine 450 degrees the direction your bike normally runs until the ft mark lines up. Then slowly remove the front cct and replace. Put the rear cover back on and be off. Also the 450 degrees part is burried in the sticky somewhere too it may be wise to double check my numbers. I have done this job a couple of times and this made the job pretty easy.

Last edited by Little_Horse; 10-13-2009 at 08:21 PM.
Old 10-13-2009, 08:23 PM
SuperBike

Sounds good. Thanks for all the info guys. I think I may just buy some manual ccts just to have them and not have to bother making some.