Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

CCT!? Fact or friction?

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2008, 09:22 PM
MotoGP

smokinjoe73 is on a distinguished road
CCT!? Fact or friction?

So I just had my mechanic/racing buddy friend install the APE CCT"s while I was on vacation. But he swears they didnt need replacing and questions the idea of the swap. Being a mechanic he is inherently against forum advice of all kinds. He swears that it is an old wives tale. Anyone have a REAL idea of how long before these APE CCT's need adjusting? Is it every 3-4k miles? That seems like a real inconvenience.............Just sayin.
Old 11-18-2008, 09:34 PM
SuperBike

killer5280 is on a distinguished road
Your mechanic friend is wrong, although I'm not saying yours needed replacing. Steadfastly not believing everything you read on a forum is as stupid as believing everything you read on a forum. A dose of common sense goes a long way. When you have a consensus about something with evidence and anecdotes to back it up, you would be foolish not to pay a little bit of attention.

I have checked my CCT's an average of once a year in the three years since I installed them. They didn't need adjustment, but I was doing other stuff and checked anyway.

Last edited by killer5280; 11-18-2008 at 09:36 PM.
Old 11-18-2008, 09:36 PM
SuperSport

comedo is on a distinguished road
+1
Old 11-18-2008, 09:38 PM
MotoGP

smokinjoe73 is on a distinguished road
OK, now we are getting somewhere. How many miles when you replaced them and since you did? I agree with the statement of believing all/none of anything. I just replaced them at the word of the brotherhood of the SH and want similar feedback.
Old 11-18-2008, 09:53 PM
RK1
MotoGP

RK1 is on a distinguished road
I didn't replace the ccts just 'cause I read something on a forum. I replaced them 'cause I could hear the chain rattling around in the front cylinder.

I've only had them in for a few hundred miles. I'll adjust further if/when the damn chain starts rattling again.

Some folks say do it anyhow, but I wouldn't have bothered if I didn't have the noise.
Old 11-18-2008, 11:05 PM
Greenmeansgo!
Back Marker

Reason is on a distinguished road
I replaced them because of the experiences of the people whose CCTs failed. It's not "you probably should," it's "goddammit, a CCT went and it's $1500 to fix." It cost me some bucks, and it's a PITA for those who do it themselves, but bent valve/scored piston would have been worse.

The logic behind it made sense to me, too. The stockers, if/when they fail, let all tension off the chain. The manuals make that impossible.

My 2 cents.
Old 11-18-2008, 11:22 PM
SuperBike
SuperBike

Gregw is on a distinguished road
I replaced mine @ 15,000 miles. I didn't have any issues, but it seemed like cheap insurance. I'm the 3rd owner and I didn't know how the 1st treated the bike. I was in there anyway checking the valve clearance.
Old 11-19-2008, 06:21 AM
Fastest Color
SuperBike

FL02SupaHawk996 is on a distinguished road
I changed mine at 17K miles while I was in there checking valve clearances. Haven't even thought about them since...

APEs $100.00
Peace of mind $priceless!

RC
Old 11-19-2008, 06:43 AM
2nd mouse gets the cheese
SuperBike

Little_Horse is on a distinguished road
I say fact, but since everyone rides there bikes a little differently I think it would be hard to get any conclusive data with mileage alone. I was at 43k miles and heard the front chain rattle, that was enough for me to park it until the apes came and I put them on. Like others have said, its not if its when, and if you let it get to when its going to cost you alot of time and money. Worst of all you wont be riding the hawk for a while.
Old 11-19-2008, 07:22 AM
The Hypno-Toad
Superstock
Superstock

Kendrick is on a distinguished road
APEs $100

my recent top end rebuild due to the original CCT failing $1000

About 18,000 miles at failure, no warning
Old 11-19-2008, 08:35 AM
Squid

JOHNNYP is on a distinguished road
My front failed at 18,000...didn't waste anything. I had new OEM replacements installed, am I the only one on this forum that used Honda ones? I am a body and paint guy and I like to ride the damn thing not take the gas tank off 3 times in one day!! CCT paranoia took over my life when I got on this forum... but I think I got it under control....just my 2 cents. Cheers!
Attached Thumbnails CCT!? Fact or friction?-oxiclean-spokesman-200a082008.jpg  
Old 11-19-2008, 10:00 AM
Fastest Color
SuperBike

FL02SupaHawk996 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by JOHNNYP
My front failed at 18,000...didn't waste anything. I had new OEM replacements installed, am I the only one on this forum that used Honda ones? I am a body and paint guy and I like to ride the damn thing not take the gas tank off 3 times in one day!! CCT paranoia took over my life when I got on this forum... but I think I got it under control....just my 2 cents. Cheers!
Johnny, I don't want to rain on your parade so I will first say that I have heard of folks here that have replaced their old OEM auto CCTs with new OEM autos and they may not have any problems at all for years

However, the problem with autos is that they can fail, while the manual ones can't that's why most folks go with manual CCTs and forget about it...RC
Old 11-19-2008, 10:02 AM
Superstock

rbrais is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by killer5280
Your mechanic friend is wrong, although I'm not saying yours needed replacing. Steadfastly not believing everything you read on a forum is as stupid as believing everything you read on a forum. A dose of common sense goes a long way. When you have a consensus about something with evidence and anecdotes to back it up, you would be foolish not to pay a little bit of attention.

I have checked my CCT's an average of once a year in the three years since I installed them. They didn't need adjustment, but I was doing other stuff and checked anyway.
So how many miles do you have on them?
Old 11-19-2008, 10:27 AM
geezer
SuperSport
SuperSport

oahu hawk is on a distinguished road
went with OEMs two months ago, after increasing chain noise everytime I took the bike out (3-4 times a month)...all quiet now...
Old 11-19-2008, 06:08 PM
MotoGP

inderocker is an unknown quantity at this point
I've owned 5 VTR's... 4 of them had CCT failures. It's not just VTR's either other models with similarly designed CCT's suffer the same failure. Bottom line is, the ratcheting style CCT is junk!
Old 11-19-2008, 06:21 PM
SuperBike

autoteach is on a distinguished road
600f3's had the same problem. I work at a motorcycle shop and my boss was like, why fix it if its not broke. I then asked how many he did when he was at the dealership he used to work at. He had never done any VTR's, but he had never worked on a VTR, but he said that he had the F3 job down to 30-45 minutes and had built special tools to do so. He then agreed that it would be a good idea. WORD TO THE WILLING TO LISTEN,
when a cct fails on an F3, it doesn't skip, just makes noise... VTR skips and destroys!!!! He even told me that i would not need to have the bike at TDC compression, how wrong was he. But he had based this off the knowledge of Honda F3's, so there goes that negative forum view. Now, to put 0w oil in the bike, hear that it makes more power.........
Old 11-19-2008, 06:26 PM
Superstock

cameron is on a distinguished road
i just picked my bike up tonight from honda. wouldnt you know it the mechanic had ape in his bike a 97 cbr 929 i think but any way he told me he replaced the atuo cct 3 times in 60,000 miles and the stock one go bad from spring breakage. and let the timing slip after sudden deceleration because of loss of tension or some such. so if the honda machanic says they fail eventually ill stick with the apes.
Old 11-20-2008, 09:24 AM
SuperBike

killer5280 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by rbrais
So how many miles do you have on them?
I didn't write down the mileage when I put them in, but I would guess about 14-15,000.
Old 11-20-2008, 01:20 PM
SuperBike

skokievtr is on a distinguished road
APE CCT Adjustment

An easy way to check & adjust the APE CCTs is warm up the VTR to operating temperature, rev it a few times, loosen the locknut and back out the bolt until the chain starts to rattle, then turn in the bolt until the rattling just stops, and tighten the locknut without changing the setting. Then rev a few times again to check, and readjust if necessary.
Old 11-20-2008, 02:30 PM
Superstock

cameron is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by skokievtr
An easy way to check & adjust the APE CCTs is warm up the VTR to operating temperature, rev it a few times, loosen the locknut and back out the bolt until the chain starts to rattle, then turn in the bolt until the rattling just stops, and tighten the locknut without changing the setting. Then rev a few times again to check, and readjust if necessary.
nice info im new to these manual cct and have been looking for a good way to adjust them properly.
Old 11-20-2008, 02:47 PM
SuperBike

skokievtr is on a distinguished road
Bare in mind this procedure is for checking & adjusting the CCT AFTER they were installed properly; which entails pulling the valve covers and setting the CCT by chain tension (1/4" deflection at TDC)!

Originally Posted by cameron
nice info im new to these manual cct and have been looking for a good way to adjust them properly.
Old 11-20-2008, 02:59 PM
Moderatio est Figmentum
Superstock

Hawk9807 is on a distinguished road
31,xxx and still runnung the stock cct's. APE's sitting on the shelf. If/when I hear the dreaded rattle I will change them out.
Old 11-20-2008, 03:06 PM
2nd mouse gets the cheese
SuperBike

Little_Horse is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Hawk9807
31,xxx and still runnung the stock cct's. APE's sitting on the shelf. If/when I hear the dreaded rattle I will change them out.
it can go from rattle to boom with little warning, why not just throw them in?
Old 11-20-2008, 03:11 PM
Sexual Daredevil
SuperSport

Location: Mother Earth- orbiting around Charlotte, NC. But now over the border in S.C.
motojoe is an unknown quantity at this point
I first replaced my CCTs at 20k with the Honda OEMs. Then when Hell broke loose at 38K, I changed them with APEs. Now I sleep better at night and have a better understanding of my bike from performing all the head work from the CCT failure.
Old 11-20-2008, 03:15 PM
Moderatio est Figmentum
Superstock

Hawk9807 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by cornandp
it can go from rattle to boom with little warning, why not just throw them in?
I probably will the next time I am checking the valves, but I see no reason to panic and put them in before hand. If the oem's give way before then I will join in on the bandwagon of the victims of cct failure.