Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

Carb Synch tool??

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2009, 06:41 PM
Parental Deviant
Squid

punkwood2k is on a distinguished road
Carb Synch tool??

I am having an impossible time finding a carb synch tool around town.. NONE of the auto supplies claim to have them, and I refuse to pay $100 for one from a bike dealership... I also was going to do it this weekend, so I cant wait for an internet purchase..

Can someone tell me if a Vacuum Gauge is the same thing? Could I just buy two vacuum gauges and synch it that way?
Old 09-18-2009, 07:22 PM
Boosted
SuperSport

Syclone is on a distinguished road
Go buy a yardstick, 10 feet of clear plastic hose, and some colored antifreeze and make a manometer. Do a google for more info.
Old 09-18-2009, 08:25 PM
SuperSport

chickenstrip
http://www.powerchutes.com/manometer.asp
Old 09-18-2009, 09:13 PM
Back Marker

superbeater is on a distinguished road
I did the yardstick, tygon tubing, oil manometer after reading about throttle syncing on the Stromtropper (Suzuki V-Strom) forum. Easy to do and works great. Any Ace Hardware store has the stuff you need.
Old 09-19-2009, 04:35 AM
Administrator
MotoGP

E.Marquez is on a distinguished road
Motion Pro makes a basic one like the home built version using Mercury for the metering fluid. It's cheap and very easy to use. You’re in Denver? Try.... damn,, I forget the name of the shop I used to use there for parts and tools...... If you call OTD in Denver, ask to speak to Jonathon or Eddie in the service department. The accessory section is kind of thin so I doubt they will have one on hand, but they may have a source for you in town..

Or build your own... if so inclined and have the time.
Old 09-19-2009, 04:56 AM
SuperBike

Erik S. is on a distinguished road
I know we all say it a lot, and some of us have heard it too often, and some hate saying it, but a simple search of "carb sync" on the forum would turned up a lot of usable results.

Go to this thread, https://www.superhawkforum.com/forum...ight=carb+sync, post #12 and he explains how simple and easy it is to make one from Home Depot/Lowes for only a few bucks.
Old 09-19-2009, 04:58 AM
SuperBike

Erik S. is on a distinguished road
Also, check out Greg's (Hawkriders) site http://www.superhawk996.net/ Click VTR1000F, then Performance and Mods, then Carb Sync. Lots of pics and good explanations of what your looking for and what to do.
Old 09-19-2009, 09:27 AM
COBB Member
Superstock

stebbdt is on a distinguished road
+1 on the $5.00 yard stick/tubing set-up. I used Marvell mystery oil in mine, just in case I sucked it into the intake, no harm, no foul ya know?
Old 09-22-2009, 06:33 AM
Back Marker

tbartley is on a distinguished road
I used 2 vac gauges from Harbor Freight, two inline fuel shut-off valves to restrict/adjust the flow (needles tend to jump from too much vac) and mounted them to a board. Works great! I got my idea from another forum member and placed the fuel shut-offs where he has his metal restrictor plates. https://www.superhawkforum.com/forum...ead.php?t=6793
Old 09-22-2009, 07:21 AM
2nd mouse gets the cheese
SuperBike

Little_Horse is on a distinguished road
I bought these gauges off ebay for $3 each. I work on more than just twins so I bought 4. Mounted them to a backing plate. Bought some brass fittings for the hoses. I also purchased just the brass restrictors from motion pro for their sync tool. That was it, around $30 but it works awesome is easy to store, and is extremely repeatable. Only takes me 5 minutes to sync the hawk and that includes some warm up time. It might not be the cheepest method listed here, but you also can't sync 4 carbs with the single tube method.

Name:  Picture.jpg
Views: 270
Size:  117.4 KB
Old 09-22-2009, 02:14 PM
Squid

RuthlessButcher is on a distinguished road
Can you please explain the -1, C, +.25, and -.5 or start a new thread to explain a bit better
Old 09-22-2009, 02:42 PM
Squid

Chester345 is on a distinguished road
If I had to guess, I'd bet that's how much off each gauge/hose is from C.

I went for a Morgan Carbtune Pro personally. I considered building one for my old bikes, but being able to take it to friend's houses to tune their bikes has paid off.
Old 09-22-2009, 02:44 PM
2nd mouse gets the cheese
SuperBike

Little_Horse is on a distinguished road
C= control
then all the numbers represent the differences between each gauge and the control. I wrote it down, but in the end the error was so small you just sync them the same. One equals one very small tick mark on the gauge so .25 was nothing. They were cheap gauges so I wasn't sure how their error would play out. All that to say it was negligible difference, and that I have been very pleased with the result.
Old 09-22-2009, 06:20 PM
Squid

RuthlessButcher is on a distinguished road
i see thank you