General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

Couple carb questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2012, 04:05 PM
Joe Fo Sho
Squid

jdavidc85 is on a distinguished road
Couple carb questions

Hi guys, couple quick questions for ya. I had a dynojet kit installed and lost mid range performance. Im switching to 8541 hawks carb set up which is stock needlss and mains with 48 pilots. I have the stock jets and mains still but not the springs. So first question can i use the dynojet springs with stock needles and mains?

Also, is there a special tool to adjust these wierd d shaped air mixture screws?

Thanks for any info!
Old 08-27-2012, 04:27 PM
MotoGP

7moore7 is on a distinguished road
Special tool is called a dremel. Just slice a good ole flat head slot into them and be done with the "d".

I think Dynojet uses shorter springs so you'll want to find some stock ones (I may have some extra if this is a bind for ya)
Old 08-27-2012, 06:02 PM
Joe Fo Sho
Squid

Originally Posted by 7moore7
Special tool is called a dremel. Just slice a good ole flat head slot into them and be done with the "d".

I think Dynojet uses shorter springs so you'll want to find some stock ones (I may have some extra if this is a bind for ya)
Thanks for the dremel advice! Didnt even think of that. Also If u do have some stock springs id love to buy them off you. Plz let me know and thanks! Also i noticed the lift holes on my slides are not all the way through from factory. The holes honda drilled when installing dyno jet kit go all the way through. Is this correct?
Old 08-27-2012, 07:42 PM
MotoGP

7moore7 is on a distinguished road
Shoot man, I've looked all over and can only find one of the springs. The carb set is disassembled and I thought was all in one place, but that long a** spring is no where to be found! I'll look again tomorrow, but am running out of places it might have been thrown...

Part of the dynojet kit along with the different spring is to drill the slides and put in bigger mains. HRC and 8541Hawk (mike) recommend compensating for the lean mid-range in a different way... plugging a hole and leaving the mains as they are (and throwing in the larger #48 pilots). So in your case I'd plug one of the holes that was drilled for the rear slide and two for the front slide so that you have two holes for the rear and one for the front. And when I'm talking holes, I'm not counting the one that the needle goes through.

It looks like the springs are pretty cheap from parts dealers too...

1998 Honda Super Hawk 1000 VTR1000F Parts, 1998 Honda Super Hawk 1000 VTR1000F OEM Parts - BikeBandit.com

All in a day's work!
Old 08-27-2012, 08:01 PM
Joe Fo Sho
Squid

No problem at all i can order some thanks for looking. I see what your saying about the holes. Thanks again!!
Old 09-25-2012, 11:06 AM
Joe Fo Sho
Squid

when syncing carbs, is there anywhere to hook to on front cylinder besides where the allen screw is on cylinder just below carb? I saw in forum a guy hooking to a california purge valve,but im not familiar with where this is.
Old 10-16-2012, 07:19 AM
Superstock

zxbud is on a distinguished road
Let's Have An Update

Originally Posted by jdavidc85
Hi guys, couple quick questions for ya. I had a dynojet kit installed and lost mid range performance. Im switching to 8541 hawks carb set up which is stock needlss and mains with 48 pilots. I have the stock jets and mains still but not the springs. So first question can i use the dynojet springs with stock needles and mains?

Also, is there a special tool to adjust these wierd d shaped air mixture screws?

Thanks for any info!

How'd it all turn out?
Mine came with Dynojet springs and I installed stock ones recently, which apply more pressure to the slide. I noticed not one bit of difference in running or performance-it's exactly the same. I might as well have stretched the dynojet springs and would have achieved the same results. It still runs great but it did before.