Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

Carb Issues/Problems?

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2012, 08:56 AM
Squid

Bdalefire115 is on a distinguished road
Carb Issues/Problems?

Ok i have some carb issues i think. This past weekend i decided i would pull the carbs on the bike to see what i was getting into. As i started the project i pulled the tank, and air box cover. First thing i notice is hey i have a K&N air filter kinda neat i guess. I've read on here they aren't the greatest on this bike, but i can't really find a straight forward answer as to why. Second thing i notice after pulling air filter was that there where at one time the 2 little foam filters in the air box that one was completely gone and the other was in pieces and barely there. I need new ones not sure where to find those. Ok i move on to pulling velocity stacks and that was a big no go. The phillips screw heads where stripped out to the point of no return. So i was able to unbolt the air box from the carbs and found that 1 on the screws were missing to the front carb. Real nice right. So i pulled the air box and then pulled the carbs. I didn't tear into the carbs completely i pulled the bowls to see if they had any junk in em and just cleaned the carbs with a lil carb cleaner with them still assembled. I know i need to tear em down more and i will after i get to some more of my questions. Ok i re assembled everything and bike still runs.

Ok here's some of the issues i have. When i take off i do have to feather the throttle and clutch till about 3500-4000 rpm's. Also while idling the throttle response is horrible i can crack the throttle and it about stalls. I have to open her up slowly. After 4000 rpm's the bike purr's nicely untill i hit 6000 to 7000 rpm's. At that point it is almost like it is missing. It spudders and spatters then once i'm above the 7000 rpm range it runs fine again.

Any thought's or ideas would be helpful. No i don't know if the bike has been jetted or anything. I do think that, that is what i am gonna need to do. I have only had this bike for about a month so i am slowly trying to hash out what all it needs. It was missing the exhaust bushing that goes between the header pipe and the mid pipe to the left side exhaust, i turned one down at work out of aluminum so that seems to work fine now no smelly exhaust on me everytime i ride. lol.

Ok sorry for being so long and drawn out. Thank you in advance for the help.
Old 09-17-2012, 09:05 AM
Back Marker

kardiac996 is on a distinguished road
Id check TPS do a full carb clean and service/sync. While your at it check your spark plugs. If they are at the element white your super lean if they are black your rich. If brownish tint your good to go. The status of your plugs will help you determine if you want to jet or not just as an FYI to your self.

I found that all the old foam from the airbox landed in my carbs little bits caused the slides to not open and close properly. Similar symptoms I might add. You could check your fuel lines as well give them a good clean make sure there isnt any debris stuck in them.

GL!
Old 09-17-2012, 09:32 AM
Squid

I have never done a carb sync so that is all new ground for me. I will check plugs tonight when i get home.
Old 09-17-2012, 10:28 AM
MotoGP

7moore7 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Bdalefire115
First thing i notice is hey i have a K&N air filter kinda neat i guess. I've read on here they aren't the greatest on this bike, but i can't really find a straight forward answer as to why.
In a nutshell, it's hard to get the air/fuel mix even across the entire powerband (especially for the street). People who tune them usually end up with holes somewhere. You can get to 3-4hp on the top end but you'll be running lean in the mid range. And if you tune for the mid-range you'll probably be way too rich on the top. If you're running K&N, especially if it's not jetted well, it will likely feel much better if you put a stock filter back in.
Old 09-17-2012, 10:38 AM
Squid

Originally Posted by 7moore7
In a nutshell, it's hard to get the air/fuel mix even across the entire powerband (especially for the street). People who tune them usually end up with holes somewhere. You can get to 3-4hp on the top end but you'll be running lean in the mid range. And if you tune for the mid-range you'll probably be way too rich on the top. If you're running K&N, especially if it's not jetted well, it will likely feel much better if you put a stock filter back in.
Thank you so much for clarifing that. SO now my question would be to hold off on jetting till i can get a stock filter or leave it and jet any way? This is a winter project for me so for now i ride it every day so i can't do a whole lot to it that might jeopordize my ride to and from work. I drive an hour one way to work and driving a truck that far with gas cost the way they are i am trying to put off till the snow flys!
Old 09-18-2012, 12:41 PM
Squid

Thank you i plan on it this week end as i ride it everyday and can't afford to have it apart during the week.