Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

Carb issues

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2020, 06:03 PM
Squid

BrianOutlaw is on a distinguished road
Carb issues

My superhawk has been parked for a few months because of problems with my license but I start it up at least once a week religiously and let the temp get up between 180- 200 to avoid any ethinal related issues and it has always started right up with no problems and idled beautifully. Today it started with no hesitation but the rpms immediately shot upto around 3000 and continued to slowly climb higher I waited about 10 to 12 seconds to see if it would come back down but it didn't so I shut it down. Does anyone know what might be the problem?
Old 03-30-2020, 08:20 AM
Back Marker

ascothawk is on a distinguished road
choke might be stuck on or slides sticking ?
Old 03-30-2020, 08:54 AM
Squid

Every thing appears to be working properly. I live in Florida and have never had to use the choke can I run it with the cable removed to determine if that's the culprit
Old 03-30-2020, 10:44 AM
Back Marker

ascothawk is on a distinguished road
I wouldn't do that,does the throttle snap back when you blip the throttle.My grips would sometime drag against the switch housing.
Old 03-30-2020, 06:48 PM
Squid

Ok so I pulled the carbs off and checked the pilot jets they were good so I pulled the pilot screws out and found the tip of the front screw was slightly bent and the the ring and washer where not on the screw they were laying loose down inside the hole so I replaced it and set them to base line 2 1/4 in the front and 2 1/2 in the rear and synced them. Before this issue it did have a slight hang up at 2k rpms before returning to idle suggesting it was a little Lean and I could never get it to richen up trust me I tried several times. After syncing them today baseline was perfect no adjustments were needed its idling at around 1300 and immediately returns to 1300 with no hesitation or bog after a quick twist on the throttle and no bounce in the guage needle. It's like a completely different bike on bottom end.

Last edited by BrianOutlaw; 03-31-2020 at 04:15 AM.
Old 03-30-2020, 07:32 PM
Squid

My grip and switch housing have about a 1/4 inch of space between them. My first coarse of action was a visual inspection to make sure nothing was hanging up and everything was mechanically operating properly. I'm pretty new to wrenching on bikes but I was a certified auto mechanic for several years and I was a mechanic for the local caterpillar dealership for right around 10 years and iv learned in alot of situations a quick look over in the beginning can sometimes save alot of time trying to diagnose something.