Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

Can you help with this knock?

Old 09-17-2011, 02:44 PM
Squid

Iggyflywheel is on a distinguished road
Can you help with this knock?

Hi, its very faint in the video, and it doesn't start until you've been on the throttle for a while and it is warm. Also, after a while if the bike is just at idle it will fade away. Its not the clutch and doesnt matter if you engage the clutch or not its a knock not a tick.... and its sounds like its louder near the rear cylinder near the top. Im woundering if it maybe the tensioner is starting to fail, and the slop in the chain is making the knock? She goes like stink!... lots of power.

Any Help would be great! ... Its a replacement motor from a wrecker, I changed the oil at 400 klm and then again at 900 klm. I didnt ride it hard until the 900k and thats when it started.

VTR1000 - YouTube
Old 09-17-2011, 05:02 PM
SuperBike

Wicky is on a distinguished road
Couldn't pick out the any sound of impending doom, though you might want to change the OEM CCTs to manuals pronto if you suspect something 'changing'.
Old 09-18-2011, 03:54 AM
SuperSport

PUSHrod is on a distinguished road
I concur, no doom pending.

But if you are as paranoid as I, then buy a mechanic's stethoscope. Being able to listen to the inside of a running engine is money in your pocket. As you place the probe on the various external surfaces, your ear can pick out the internal components as they spin, slide, whir and click.

Last edited by PUSHrod; 09-18-2011 at 03:55 AM. Reason: (sp)
Old 09-18-2011, 11:38 AM
Squid

Iggyflywheel is on a distinguished road
Thnxs Guys... but its a distinct knock very clear and very loud, sorry I couldnt do a better job capturing it. Im have'n the cct changed this week, I'll keep ya posted.. the noise comes and goes, I only hear it after riding the bike hard so Im hope'n its the slack in the chain from the failing CCT.