Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

Brake Pad Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2014, 10:06 AM
Squid
Squid

triplespeed is on a distinguished road
Brake Pad Replacement

I finally got around to replacing the brake pads on my 03 Hawk at 9700 miles. I am the second owner of this bike since I acquired it in August 2010 with only 2250 miles on the clock. I am quite certain that the pads had never previously been replaced, and the pads appeared to be the original stock Nissin pads.

The rear pads were almost completely worn down to the bottom of their wear limit grooves, while the front pads were only worn to about half of their wear limits.

I read the opinions on these forums, and I know that EBC HH and Vesrah are popular replacements. Ultimately I purchased OEM Honda (Nissin HH) replacement pads:
  • Front = 06455-MBB-016
  • Rear = 43105-MW0-415

I followed the installation instructions in the Honda Service Manual and had no difficulty with the installation. I also have the Haynes Manual and it states "Smear the pin, the back of the pads and the leading and trailing edges of the backing material with copper-based grease, making sure that none gets on the friction material."

I know that this is a common practice when replacing the pads on automobiles, but the Honda Service Manual did not specify the use of and copper-based grease for their brake pad replacement procedure. I did not have any copper-based grease handy, so I did not adopt the Haynes procedure.

Q: any thoughts or recommendations on the use of copper grease when replacing brake pads?

After installation I bled the brakes (and clutch) and replaced with fresh Honda DOT 4 brake fluid.

I am pleased to report that the brakes feel great! Much better than before. Nice firm pressure at the lever/pedal and smooth progressive stops. Bike seems to shift more smoothly/predictable as well. I will be sure to replace the brake fluid again in another 2 years.
Old 06-22-2014, 12:21 PM
Squid

ChikinLady1011 is on a distinguished road
Only reason to grease is to prevent sticking and to allow them to slide freely. Copper has a higher temp specification than the green or black. As long as you cleaned everything well, I wouldn't foresee an issue, but be attentive for excessive noise, dragging, or rotor discoloration that may indicate they are sticking.
Old 06-22-2014, 01:14 PM
MotoGP

Wolverine is on a distinguished road
I use a small amount of Permatex anti-seize. Wouldn't hurt to pick up a small tube and dab some on there.

Old 06-22-2014, 01:29 PM
Administrator
MotoGP

E.Marquez is on a distinguished road
I use
Copper anti seize
Or CRC brake pad anti vibration adhesive
Old 06-22-2014, 03:48 PM
SuperSport

jerryh is on a distinguished road
I think you can get a little packet for a buck at auto parts store
Old 06-22-2014, 04:58 PM
Superstock

RobertLever is on a distinguished road
The mechanic guy on Wheeler Dealers says the copper grease prevents the brakes from squeaking.