Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

rear turn signals odd behavior

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2014, 01:39 PM
Squid

mdudu is on a distinguished road
rear turn signals odd behavior

Hi folks,

I recently bought a 2002 superhawk at the beginning of may. My rear amber turn signals are always on but do flash properly when the turn signal switch is hit, ie they act as running lights normally, blink properly when I hit the switch, and then hold steady again when I rest the turn switch. I thought the superhawk's rear turn signals are normally off and only blink after the switch is hit?

Additionally, the turn signal indicator lights on the instrument cluster match what the rear turn signals do, they are also always on and flash appropriately when the corresponding turn signal is blinking. I don't think it's the relay since they do flash (but I ordered a new one just in case). I checked the voltage at the turn signal connecter and sure enough it shows steady on (about 11 volts) and blinks on & off when the switch is applied.

The previous previous owner had put an aftermarket undertail with integrated turn signals. Could it be that he also modified the wiring or relay to make them running lights as well?

Any ideas?

Andrew
Old 06-20-2014, 02:12 PM
Retired- but not tired!
SuperBike

CrankenFine is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by mdudu
Hi folks,

The previous previous owner had put an aftermarket undertail with integrated turn signals. Could it be that he also modified the wiring or relay to make them running lights as well?
I'd suspect you've answered your own question.
Old 06-20-2014, 04:51 PM
Rex Kramer-Thrill Seeker
SuperBike

CruxGNZ is on a distinguished road
I agree. It's called the 2 wire to 3 wire mod. There is nothing wrong with your motorcycle.
Old 06-20-2014, 05:36 PM
Squid

Thanks for the info, but then the question becomes how do I convert it back? The reason this all came up was because I bought an integrated tail light which has the blinkers as part of the tailight. It's normally all red but when you activate a turn signal, that half flashes amber.

So the issue with having the rear signals as running lights is that the whole thing is amber all the time until I hit a turn signal, then that half flashes amber to red.

Also, the rears are not wired like the front (which are three wire). They do not have two filaments, just one so that in effect the turn signal is on all the time and just flashes off when you hit the switch. So give that you refer to it as a "two to three wire" I don't know if it's the same thing in my case. Mine are still just two wires (for the rear).

Where is this mod done? Is it a splice somewhere? replacement relay?

thanks!

Andrew

Last edited by mdudu; 06-20-2014 at 05:40 PM.
Old 06-23-2014, 07:40 PM
Squid

figure it out finally. They had wired the turn signal wire to ground on the front light bulbs and ground to the filament which is normally the turn signal. Quick and dirty running lights. Swapped it back and it now works normally again.